Sea Routes in Westeros

What is the sea route between the east to west coasts of Westeros? For instance, when Stannis directs Sallhador Saan to send his fastest ships with envoys to the Iron Islands and White Harbor after the Red Wedding. I assume it's south through the Stepstones and around Dorne. How long is the trip and how dangerous, considering pirate activity in the Narrow Sea?

Also, how hard is it for the Ironborn to get all the way around to the east coast? Seems like it would be prohibitively far for raiding. Are there mentions of Ironborn activity along the Dornish or east coasts?

Not sure if you've read all the books yet, this contains some spoilers!

This is a really interesting post, I've thought about this a lot. In regards to the Ironborn traversing the east coast, in the books when Victarion is heading to Meereen he does, indeed, do so via the Dornish coast. plus The Ironborn do raid The Arbor after they attack The Shield Islands. Sam went from Bravos to Horn Hill, to Oldtown. If he could get to Oldtown from Bravos, then I would assume one could sail from Dragonstone to the Iron Islands. And someone could have just sailed north from Dragonstone to get to White Harbor. Not sure about the pirates around the stepstones, Sam and The Cinnamon Wind got through that area.

Sam did the trip from The Wall entirely during AFFC. So, however long that was.

It's likely I got a lot wrong in this, so feel free to correct me.

Also, how hard is it for the Ironborn to get all the way around to the east coast? Seems like it would be prohibitively far for raiding. Are there mentions of Ironborn activity along the Dornish or east coasts?

With the ironborn prevented from reaving, being part of the Seven Kingdoms, apparently their favourite sport was to send ships to the Stepstones and carry out reaving and raiding there. It's a long trip (the south coast of Westeros is almost a thousand miles wide, not an inconsiderable distance) but worth it, especially if they managed to find rich merchant ships travelling between the Free Cities and the far east.

Archived