(Spoilers) Jon's alternatives - Pink Letter

Rouge et Bleu

I've reread this chapter several times in an attempt to figure out what Jon's possible alternatives were when he received the Pink Letter (assuming that it was legitimately written by Ramsay). Obviously one of them he reflects upon himself right before Wun Wun's festival of rage and that was going to Queen Selyse directly before addressing the free folk and NW in the Shield Hall. What would this have accomplished, however, other than to inform her of Stannis' possible demise and Ramsay's threats I don't really know. Would it have galvanized any of the Queen's Men in favor of Jon's proposed course of action? Could he have had Tormund relate the contents of the letter to the free folk and lead them towards Winterfell instead of Jon? Could he have gone to Melisandre and solicited her advice? I consider the latter most alternative somewhat dubious considering how Jon regarded her throughout most of ADWD. Was there any possibility to avoid his "Ides of March" moment or was his intent to ride south against Ramsay merely the straw that broke the camel's back for Marsh, et al? Apologies if a similar topic has been posted before.

I only hoped Jon took some time to confirm the contents of that letter were true. He received it, read it, changed his plans, and got stabbed multiple times after. He could have asked Mel to check her fires what was up with Stannis, but she's unreliable (except the daggers in the dark thing) :P. Yeah, rumor could spread that Stan was indeed dead. But you know, he could have written a response letter to Ramsay and invite him to come to the Wall (instead of him going down there 'coz he's too occupied with matters concerning the realm), and tell him to take the Queen, her daughter, the witch, the Wildling Princess, and even the Others personally. And he could have asked him to kindly bring the heads of those he mentioned dead also. While waiting for Ramsay, he could have planned a nice welcome party for him and his company, and surely, his brothers won't let anyone storm the Wall just like that. Yeah, he should have consulted the others about the contents of the letter to gain a different insight so he could also plan an alternative course of action to take. I believe he was not alone in this predicament, but t'was too late - unfortunately. :(

The wall has no military defenses to the south. A welcoming party at the wall would be very risky , which is why Jon intends to waylay Ramsay enroute.

What others could he have consulted ? He did consult with Tormond. He's tried consulting with Bowen et al on numerous occasions and it was an exercise in futility. His "brothers" are pitifully few. He has numbers in wildlings , but they are best suited to guerilla style warfare , at least until there's been time to train them.

He could have still planned an ambush somewhere along the route to CB as an immediate precaution, while sending out scouts further south to ascertain the truth of the situation. Then, when he has more information, he can decide whether he should fight or flee or surrender as he can't take on Ramsay if Roose won convincingly at WF, and has Manderly and Dustin support.

But he is not thinking in terms of the best rational/military decision anyway so it is a totally moot point.

He could have given himself the chance to let it soak in before he just reacted. He might then have considered the probability possibility that the letter was a ruse, and taken it to Queen Selyse couched in that vein. In any event, taking it to the Queen first would have at least prevented the ill feeling that he did incur via the Queen's men, and with the current situation at the wall, any reduction in ill feeling would certainly be good for Jon. He could have chosen to consult Val [i've just read a fascinating thread illustrating how applicable the old Norse religion is to the old religion in Westeros and speculating, I think convincingly, that Val was the equivalent of a high priestess in the very old, COTF, religion.] He could also have chosen to send a scout south to spy out the truth (though I do realize there was a blinding snowstorm in play at the time), and he could have chosen to do nothing until he got more verification. [When in doubt, don't - at least until you have more information.]

I do think Val is a seer/ vala ( or whatever GRRM equivalent will be ) but Jon doesn't know enough ( yet) to recognize it...and Val and Tormund can't tell him outright because she's a captive and would definitely be in danger from Mel and/or Selyse.

To my mind , sitting still and waiting is not an option, because CB is unprotected from the south and there would be great loss of life and probably what infrastructure and resources they have if Ramsay attacks...Styr's small party torched Moletown, burned the switchback stair , etc....

Jon's wildling fighters are suited for surprise attacks in open country. And of course he probably intends to send out scouts ( warfare 101), but why waste time waiting for them to return first ? They can report back to him when he's already on the move.

And despite Jon thinking he should have gone to Selyse first ( she deserved to know) , I'm not sure that would have turned out any better , because as stupid and full of her own importance as Selyse is , she would have thought it her right to try to take charge. ( Perhaps have her guards try to arrest Jon on the spot and replace him with Bowen.)

ETA: We'll see things more clearly when we know what occurred during his talk with Tormund.( as I'm sure we will )..Did anyone else come to report anything to them ? Toregg, who was talking to Val ? Satin , who went with Clydas ? Leathers , reporting more arrivals ? For sure we should get a better understanding of Jon's thoughts on what was true and what false in the letter.

:) ETA, again: And maybe we'll get a Ser Patrek prologue... :)

Archived