Surely I'm stating the obvious here...

mindchap

I presume the OP's point was that while lightbringer and dawn and so forth are usually regarded as symbols of hope and goodness and that seems to be the spin Melisandre is putting on it within the story... "morningstar" and "Lucifer" have rather different conotations.

It's all a question of perspective.

Great! so correct me if I'm wrong what you guys are stating, is that whoever wields Dawn, the Sword of House Dayne. Dawn is given out by house Dayne, to a chosen warrior they feel is fit. So a current member of House Dayne will deliver this sword to whoever? and that person will be AA?

My first thoughts on the Red God were "this sounds alot like the Christian Devil, with all the fire and shadows" (one reason I was never a Stannis fan)

In this colouring, presumably Stannis would be the Antichrist?

Unfortunately my grasp of theology isn't quite strong enough to construct a full picture and parallel.

In this colouring, presumably Stannis would be the Antichrist?

Maybe not the Anti-christ, but a guy who's really into the Church of Satan at least.

If you consider Lucifer and the devil the same pentity, then The Dragon is a nickname of the devil as well.

Yes, in Christian mythology theology Dragons represent the ultimate evil. "And the great dragon was cast out, that old serpent, called the Devil, and Satan, which deceives the whole world: he was cast out into the earth, and his angels were cast out with him." Also the St. George story- Dragons get a very bad rap in Western Culture

Okay I wasn't trying to start a theological debate, I really just had one of those holy crap moments and I couldn't get to wiki. I don't think anyone in this series is akin to the Prince of Darkness, if anything both elements from Ice and Fire seem to stem from different views of hell. Dante's version of hell was cold and dark, the bible's version was fire and brimstone.

Maybe not the Anti-christ, but a guy who's really into the Church of Satan at least.

Yes, in Christian mythology theology Dragons represent the ultimate evil. "And the great dragon was cast out, that old serpent, called the Devil, and Satan, which deceives the whole world: he was cast out into the earth, and his angels were cast out with him." Also the St. George story- Dragons get a very bad rap in Western Culture

exactly, while in the Eastern culture, Dragons are pretty much revered as a benevolent spirit of sorts. that's why there are still dragons in Asshai XD

You know there is. He who is of the night.

The Mountain and his handler may be the closest thing to "pure" evil in the whole series. IMO

The other "Prince of Darkness" I don't believe is evil.

Archived