If Dragonsteel isn't Valyrian steel

mindchap

When GRRM was asked about dragons, he said they existed all over, once.

Here's the link

http://www.westeros.org/Citadel/SSM/Entry/Dragons_in_Westeros

So yeah there were dragons in westeros, obviously way before Valyria. So its possible there was some dragon related forging way back when in Westeros. The only pre-Aegon dragon I can remember being mentioned is Nagga, whose bones make the Grey King Hall in the iron islands.

When GRRM was asked about dragons, he said they existed all over, once.

Here's the link

http://www.westeros....ons_in_Westeros

So yeah there were dragons in westeros, obviously way before Valyria. So its possible there was some dragon related forging way back when in Westeros. The only pre-Aegon dragon I can remember being mentioned is Nagga, whose bones make the Grey King Hall in the iron islands.

Thanks I never realized those comments were there.

I think that Dawn, despite being believed to be Valyrian steel, may very well be Dragonbone.. House Dayne is an ancient house and Valyrian Steel wasn't found at the founding of the House. Also, Dawn is said to be as light, as sharp and as strong as Valyrian Steel.

Dragonsteel seems like something made of the ancient Dragons and crafted by the CotF. Valyrian steel is more modern, the result of Valyrian crafting imbued with their own little magic. Somehow I doubt they're the same.

Dawn's 'pale as milk glass' blade sounds eerily similar to the swords the Others use. Maybe it was forged by the CotF, or even the Others, and the First Men got their hands on it?

Its just that the pale blade colour makes it look completely unrelated to Valyrian steel.

Archived