The Starks and their Wolf nicknames

Just figured this out; Sansa is "sans a" wolf.

:bowdown:

That is...

... the most amazing connection I've seen anyone make with any of the names. It might be nothing more than a witty pun or it might have been the most obvious clue in the history of the plot.

Sansa's name is sans a Stark... which explains her life, really. Holy crap! :o Mind blown! :eek:

Posted this elsewhere but it applies.

The older Starks all had nicknames which seem to match the newest generation, and could foreshadow a few things to come and tell us their roles.

Brandon- The Wild Wolf

Eddard- The Quiet Wolf

Lyanna- The She Wolf

Benjen- The Wolf Pup

In aSoS from Bran's POV while warging Summer, states there are only four out of the five of his pack left and there is also the one that stands alone. This is all pre-RW.

I assume Jon is the one that stands alone.

Robb- Greywind

Bran- Summer

Arya- Nymeria

Rickon- Shaggydog

The latter is in the order of the former.

Brandon died choking himself trying to save his father. Robb in a sense did the same damn thing. He didn't do it in the exact same manner but, he slowly kept trying to reach just a bit further for more ground and more help only to be his own undoing.

Could the fates of the former bear some semblance of the fates of the latter?

Posted this elsewhere but it applies.

The older Starks all had nicknames which seem to match the newest generation, and could foreshadow a few things to come and tell us their roles.

Brandon- The Wild Wolf

Eddard- The Quiet Wolf

Lyanna- The She Wolf

Benjen- The Wolf Pup

In aSoS from Bran's POV while warging Summer, states there are only four out of the five of his pack left and there is also the one that stands alone. This is all pre-RW.

I assume Jon is the one that stands alone.

Robb- Greywind

Bran- Summer

Arya- Nymeria

Rickon- Shaggydog

The latter is in the order of the former.

Brandon died choking himself trying to save his father. Robb in a sense did the same damn thing. He didn't do it in the exact same manner but, he slowly kept trying to reach just a bit further for more ground and more help only to be his own undoing.

Could the fates of the former bear some semblance of the fates of the latter?

The Lyanna/Arya parallel seems pretty clear--Ned pointed it out in the first book--although I wouldn't peg Arya for sharing Lyanna's fate, except possibly in a "dies way too young" way, and even that I go back and forth on.

In a Rickon-centric thread, someone speculated that Rickon has the same fierceness as Arya, putting him in the "wolf blood" category with Brandon and Lyanna. Maybe Rickon is the Brandon of his generation, which might bode ill for Rickon's survival prospects. Maybe Rickon will be okay as long as he never goes south, since that seemed to be what caused Brandon's doom (although Brandon could have equally gotten himself killed doing something stupid and impulsive up north, who knows?).

Benjen sort of maps on to Bran, assuming Bran stays stuck in the tree (and Benjen = Coldhands). They both go north, undergo mystical transformations into Coldhands/Bloodraven 2.0, and are officially lost and believed dead, although they continue to exist in modifies forms. Neither leaves any heirs, albeit for different reasons.

That leaves Robb as Ned 2.0, I guess. Makes sense, for reasons I needn't spell out. If we forget about the direwolves for a minute and throw Sansa into the mix, she also has many of Ned's qualities.

Archived