Official Court of Law V 14. Grand Maester Pycelle.

SeanF

Pycelle, by common assent of rich and poor, Lords and Commons, you are a plague upon the Realm. For Oathbreaking and Perjury, you are to be stripped of the title of Grand Maester, and to be led through the streets of King's Landing, where heralds shall proclaim "This is Pycelle, a false liar" before the people. Before the Great Sept of Baelor, of Blessed memory, you are to be beheaded, in the sight of Gods and Men, for Treason, Manslaughter, and Incitement to Commit Murder. and thereafter your head shall be displayed above the Mud Gate. Thenceforth, your corpse will be quartered and the quarters displayed at Oldtown, Lannisport, Gulltown, and White Harbour, and your bowels, privy member, and heart, whence came your treasonous thoughts, shall be burned to ashes. Go now to your fate, traitor, evil man, criminal! Go now to your own justice, renegade, liar, oathbreaker!

• 4 weeks later...

Treason

The Defendant is charged with four counts of treason:-

1.1 The Defendant counselled King Aerys Targaryen, Second of His Name, to open the gates of King’s Landing to the army of Lord Tywin Lannister, in the knowledge that Lord Tywin was an enemy to King Aerys.

Not guilty. We have no concrete evidence that Pycelle knew Tywin Lannister to be an enemy of the crown. Bad council is not a crime. It is bad judgement.

1.2 The Defendant dismissed Maester Colemon, who was tending the Hand of the King, Lord Jon Arryn, following his poisoning, and then neglected his treatment, in order that Lord Arryn should die.

I'd caution that witnesses could be brought forth to Pycelle's treatment of Jon Arryn, though none need be brought forward. Judges should need proof of guilt, not innocence. Treason is a harsh charge for, again, bad judgement. Which is at most all that could be said of Pycelle's methods regarding the treatment of an unknown sickness.

1.3 The Defendant concealed his knowledge of incest between Queen Cersei Lannister and her brother, Ser Jaime Lannister (alias “the Kingslayer”) from King Robert Baratheon, First of His Name.

Innocent. No evidence of concealing knowledge. Obstruction is at most all we could charge the man for holding back anything he may have suspected.

1.4 The Defendant betrayed the secrets of Tyrion Lannister, Acting Hand of the King, to the Queen Regent Cersei Lannister.

Not guilty. Fear for a member of the royal family (Mercella) is cause for a Grand Maester to reveal secret plots without repercussion.

Oathbreaking

The Defendant is charged with two counts of Oathbreaking:-

2.1 The Defendant has repeatedly acknowledged that in his capacity as Grand Maester, he has served House Lannister, in violation of his Maester’s oath to serve the Realm;

Guilty. No punishment is light enough for the crime, however. Within context of the statements, serving Lannisters in no way prohibits serving the Realm.

2.2 The Defendant has repeatedly violated his Maester’s vow of chastity.

Can I recuse myself from only one charge? And break the fourth wall? I don't remember the books revealing this as the show did.

Incitement to Commit Murder

3. The Defendant counselled the murder of Princess (Khaleesi) Daenerys Targaryen at a meeting of the Small Council.

It is war. Preemptive act of war. Not murder.

Manslaughter

4. The Defendant is charged with the manslaughter of Lord John Arryn, as detailed in Charge 1.2

Not guilty. As detailed in 1.2

Perjury

The Defendant is charged with two counts of perjury.

5.1 During the trial of Tyrion Lannister, Master of Coin, the Defendant lied that he had stolen The Strangler and other poisons from his stores.

Tyrion Lannister lost trial by combat. At best, this clears Pycelle. At worst, it leaves open reasonable doubt.

5.2 The Defendant falsely alleged that Queen Margaery Tyrell had obtained the abortificient, Moon Tea, from him, in order that she be condemned for adultery and treason

Records show that Pycelle did nothing wrong. He never committed himself to endorsing any allegations for what the Moon Tea was for, and there are many uses.

A flawed system of justice is not made better by sending men, even if guilty, to their deaths on assumptions. Reasonable doubt is so evident here, it weighs the man down more than his chains. Of course, I'm quite late to the discussion, and Pycelle is probably beheaded and quartered by now. Either/or, I guess.

Archived