The Hobbit Audio Book

Alistair's Pantaloons

While I was looking for fan made audio books for a thread in the ASOIAF section, I came across this really well-done fan audio book and thought I'd share.

Personally I think the music adds so much to the rhythm of the story and helps me to pay attention. Do you think other audio books should include this atmospheric device? Such as Roy Dotrices version of ASOIAF?

Link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3UrfpYAo5G4&feature=youtu.be

I think in an era where the stimulus of reading is something which a lot of people have grown to enjoy less and less I think it definitely adds a nice it of atmosphere. Of course, coming from the perspective of someone who has worked with audio mixing, I can tell you that a flat track - no matter how enthralling - will wear out if a reader is not 100% in focus. Slight tints in voices help a lot with that, but a backing musical score sounds like a good idea to me.

I don't say this just as a means to "draw the kids in", but rather something for my own self. I like the exploration of audio formats. I love podcasts, listening to radio adaptations, stories through one medium to express its advantages. A well orchestrated score is perhaps more akin to less "third person" storytelling, but reading a book as is all ready evokes interesting imagery. Audio in any manner is a powerful tool to use with the audience.

I suppose what I'm trying to say is that it could work, with restraint. Never should the audio overpower the words. Not a single moment. Doesn't matter if the reader is meant to be shocked or feel a cinematic enhancement. They are still using books, and the feelings you get should be unique to books. If anything, in this medium, the absence of the backing audio would make it more dramatic without overstating itself. The music should not be about themes and hummable ditties, but entirely atmosphere, except when music itself is a huge part of the story, like in The Hobbit. Scored audio books should simply be a further way to draw readers into the text, not exactly the story. Those are my thoughts, anyhow.

• 1 year later...

I was just linked to a gorgeous audio version of the Hobbit done by the famous British actor Nicol Williamson ( who played Merlin in Excalibur). It's available online if anyone wants me to link to it ( legally by the way). Was made in the '70's.

Archived