Are the others beautiful?

Barbossa

"They are strange, beautiful… think, oh… the Sidhe made of ice, something like that… a different sort of life… inhuman, elegant, dangerous."

Add to that the Night's King married one, are they actually beautiful?If so i wonder why in the tv show they are portrayed as ugly buggers?Was it Hbo or Grrm;s decision on how to portray them?

Im curious how you guys who read the books first imagined them?

Maybe because they disappeared after that.

You mean the others as a race or female ones?Cause if its the first, since they came back theres no mention of females ...like anywhere.Maybe they came back, cause there women are dead and there just looking for some ladies to keep them company :))

Maybe alien-beautiful, I don't think its elvish Liv Tyler beautiful... Maybe something in league with Tali'Zorah from Mass Effect.

Maybe, but if you do a google search for Sidhe they look quite handsome, Elvish like beauty.Also every art of the ice queen since to depict her that way.

The Others have lost the Other-wives and are searching for them.

I think the others should look in the brown lands. If that doesn't work, could be they are in the shire. Can anyone do a write up on possible locations of the Other-wives?

You mean the others as a race or female ones?Cause if its the first, since they came back theres no mention of females ...like anywhere.Maybe they came back, cause there women are dead and there just looking for some ladies to keep them company :))

Yeah well only what, 7 I think have made an appearance, 6 of which were in the very first chapter. I seriously doubt anyone bothered to ask "Oh hey, before you shove your ice sword in my chest and raise me as an undead thrall, are you a girl or a guy?". Basically, there's been no need to mention females and there probably won't be a need to do so either.

Maybe, but if you do a google search for Sidhe they look quite handsome, Elvish like beauty.Also every art of the ice queen since to depict her that way.

Ya the Sidhe are usually displayed as quite beautiful. If you guys are interested, read a bit on fairies in literature. It might give some insight into what Martin has in mind for the Others. One interesting thing is that the Sidhe are actually spirits of the dead. Remember that they live in hollow hills (like a burial mound or something)

Yes, they are beautiful. The elvish-unearthly kind of beautiful. And yes, the show messed it up again. Still like my picture

That brings another question.Why is it that no other female other is mentioned since that queen one?

Pick an animal. Try to guess it's gender. Look for proof. Were you right? Probably not, or chance. Unless you've got experience with them. Especally in armor. Futhermore, there are only half a dozen of them ever seen in the books.

It depends on the interpretation, like all folklore. Try image-googling for "bean sidhe" (banshee) for instance. Anyway, what is beauty? :-D

In ASOIAF GRRM reinterprets a lot of folklore and myths - like "wargs" for instance. Warg is the root of werewolves folklore, and is somewhat different from other sources.

All living things are beautiful in their own way,even icy armored killing machines.I guess the NK saw something that mesmerised him enough to marry the female other.

In ASOIAF GRRM reinterprets a lot of folklore and myths - like "wargs" for instance. Warg is the root of werewolves folklore, and is somewhat different from other sources.

Whenever I read or hear "Warg" the only thing that comes to mind is Christopher Lee(Saruman) saying "Send out your Warg riders."

That's why I prefer the term Skinchanger.

I think GRRM said somewhere that they were 'beautiful' in a sense. I like this idea, and so the TV show has stuffed that part up IMO because they could have just used LOTR like elves to represent the others instead of these (pretty much) zombie like creatures and cut back on the cost of things

The Others have lost the Other-wives and are searching for them.

Some say that the female Others look so much like the male Others that you can't tell them apart. This has given rise to the rumor that there are no female Others and they just emerge from the ice full grown.

All living things are beautiful in their own way,even icy armored killing machines.I guess the NK saw something that mesmerised him enough to marry the female other.

Whenever I read or hear "Warg" the only thing that comes to mind is Christopher Lee(Saruman) saying "Send out your Warg riders."

That's why I prefer the term Skinchanger.

Skinchanger just reminds me that you should not call Beorn one.

Archived