House Grafton strength?

Sansa_Stark

They rule over Gulltown.

All other city lords we've seen have been powerful.

The Manderly's are probably the strongest Northern secondary house and have been said to be extremely rich.

The Hightowers are probably the strongest non-great house in general, and are said to be "as rich as the Lannisters" though that was probably hyperbole.

Now I know they did not side with Robert and may have had lands reduced, but they are still city/port lords. The six Lords Declarants could field 20000 men meaning they averaged 3333 men each. Though to be fair, House Royce probably has much more men than that while House Corbray is probably much weaker than that.

Where would Grafton compare to the other Declarants?

I'm guessing House Royce could field about 5000-8000 men.

House Grafton 4000-7000

House Arryn 7000 at minimum and possibly up to 10000+

Did the Lords Declarant field 20,000 men? I thought they each brought about 1,000 to the Gates of the Moon and boasted they could each bring a thousand more if necessary.

I would imagine the Graftons are quite wealthy (like the Manderlys) because they rule over a city that engages in a lot of trade. It's difficult if not impossible to know exactly how wealthy or powerful they are though because we really haven't 'seen' Gulltown in the books or 'met' any major Graftons.

Grafton? Well they were a publishing house who did a fair few of Michael Moorcocks books but have since been swallowed up by Harper Collins, itself part of the mighty empire of Rupert Murdock - lord of many medias. Since it is known that the pen is mightier than the sword they probably are powerful, but that power may lie as much in influence and the exchange of information as in the gross number of swords at their command.

Does anyone care about this subject?

Eh, its not the most pressing topic but whatever.

I would assume that House Grafton is a shadow of its former self. Siding against Robert in the rebellion did not win them favors with the victors, especially when it was Robert who slew the former head of this House. If we follow the trend of other defeated loyalists, like the Conningtons and Darry's, they lost their wealth and almost all their power. While the Graftons could theoretically regain this wealth with ties to trade,I don't think they would be able to openly defy houses like Royce without someone to back them.

Well, one thing we don't know is how much land do they control outside of Gulltown. The Manderlys have such vast lands that there are many minor lords sworn to them, and didn't they also have silver mines?

Graftons on the other hand most likely control a lot less in terms of land, but the land is densely populated and more fertile, and the city is closer to the capital and probably sees a lot more action in terms of trade.

If I had to guess, Graftons can wield considerably less men than the Manderlys, but I don't know whether they're richer or poorer...

White Harbor and Gulltown are very close in size, with Gulltown being only marginally larger.

However, Lord Manderly directly rules lands up to 200 miles from White Harbor, while the Graftons seem to rule Gulltown itself only, and even that is questionable, given the strong hints that there are several lordly Houses based in Gulltown, including lesser Arryns (much like the Lannisters of Lannisport) and House Shett of Gulltower who are sworn to House Royce.

So altogether I would put House Grafton's strength significantly below that of House Manderly.

Archived