Favorite Characters and their Arcs

Kyle Foster

Hello everyone :)! I'm Kyle, I'm fairly new to these forums. I'm what you would consider a lurker. I love to read people's perspectives on Martin's foreshadowing, theories and melancholic songs of ice and fire. I'm currently re-reading a Feast for Crows and I found myself thinking about characters story lines and end games and all that jazz. And I found my mind wandering about what characters are written the most beautifully, who are the most complex and their progressions as they learn to live in this cruel and ever changing world. So feel free in joining me and discussing the progressions and arcs of this fantastically rich character driven world!!!

Davos - For me Davos is the most honorable character in the series. I watched season 3 and i found myself warming to him even more so because Liam Cunningham is doing an absolutely fantastic job portraying his character. And of course in his progression by a Dance with Dragons he has become more confident in his beliefs and himself. I think this makes Davos a very important end game piece for Westerosians because honorable and honest men are few and far between.

Samwell - Like Davos he comes from a very hard situation that has molded him to become a very different person from where he started his journey. Sam started off as a bumbling, fear filled young man with no confidence into a full blown intelligent and capable bad ass. Although he still sucks with a bow, Jon sees potential in Sam sending him to Oldtown to discover the dark secrets of dusty old tomes and decrepit lost pages of the history of Dragons and the Others. Like Davos I see him playing a very important part in the end game of the series and I do believe he has the horn of winter with him. I for one just desperately hope Pate ( Jaqen ? ) or Euron doesn't kill him so he can get important information back to Jon and the realm to prepare them for the beginning of the Long Night.

Sansa - Now i will probably get a few complaints about this choice but hear me out.... She is one tough cookie. She has been emotionally traumatized for the better part of the series and I think she is due for a turn around in a very big way. In the grips of a manipulative mastermind of the long game ( Littlefinger, Petyr Baelish ) she finds herself in the Vale confused and trapped. As she is very important to the health and future of the North I see her finally putting together the pieces of what Petyr's long game has been. Slowly but surely we see her gain intelligence, learning from the likes of Cersei, Tyrion, Littlefinger and some of the most cunning and intelligent people in the series. I think even though she has had a rough go so far this will make her far stronger in the end. I see her being the downfall to Littlefinger and a player in the part of the resurgence of the North and the Realm.

Euron Greyjoy - The maddest of them all. The first and the last storm. I'm torn between ( believing his stories about sailing to Old Valyria and all that jazz) or thinking he's just crazy like everyone says. He's a very interesting character introduce quite late to the game but he is still very intriguing. We don't know too much about him so I find him very interesting. Winds of Winter will reveal quite a bit about his true intentions and aspirations!

Ser Barristan - Hearing his stories make me think he is even more bad ass. I love how Martin gives us a window into the past and i really enjoyed his chapters quite a bit. I don't see him making it to the end of the series but i do see him giving us more important information to vital parts of the story that are still foggy and a mystery. I think Martin is going to give him a glorious death and will give us a window possibly to future events through this truly badass Mr.Selmy.

Bran - I'm not going to go into too much detail on this one but his potential makes me salivate at what is yet to come for him. I didn't enjoying reading his chapters that much up until.....A DANCE WITH DRAGONS. Wow. His potential... ugh makes me really excited. His story is becoming more dark but I'm really excite to see what Martin has in store for us with Bran. Another one of the long character developing stories such as Davos and Sansa but it's finally paying off in a big way in my opinion.

And Finally my two Favorites Jon Snow and Jaime Lannister - I'm not going going to go into much detail about the two but. Jaime version in a Feast for Crows > Jaime version in AGoT! I like how he is distancing himself from Cersei and going through the internal battle of his past choices and how he needs to change! Jon Snow I know how much everyone talks about him but. He is the end game piece of the most important other than Bran in my opinion. Love reading his chapters. He's had to grow up so fast.. as much as anyone in the series. R+L=J yadda yadda etc etc haha... But honestly i love the layers of Jon similar to the onion knight Davos. His layers are peeling off and we are about to see the sweetness at the Wall ( hopefully ).

Honorable mentions : Sandor Clegane, Varys and Theon

Favorite character arcs:

1. Jaime, hands down. Only Martin is so skilled to create and write a character that you absolutely hate across the board, and then completely change our opinions about him and make him into, well he's my favorite character.

2. Sansa - her development from GOT to now has come really far, and I find her time in the Vale to be incredibly interesting. I was very salty that she wasn't in Dance.

3. Theon also has had a great story. He went from loser wannabe Stark in the background to douchebag of the year to i hate you you deserve everything that's happening to you to Theon deserves a nice and happy ending for all the crap he's been through; he's come so far.

Archived