curious thought

Dany Girl

What if Rhaegar fell for Cersie at the tournament at Herrenhall instead of Lyanna, everything else up to that point being the same, just different girl. Would the rebellion still have happened? You wouldn't have had Brandon heading straight to Aerys to get his baby sister back, therefore you wouldn't have had the slaughter of the Lords who came to get him back. It would be up to Jamie, a sworn member of the KG or Tywin, a former Hand. Would they even really care since Cersie/ Rhaegar was Tywin's plan all along?

Thoughts? I'm torn on what their actions would have been and what the domino effect would have been. We know the domino effect from R's abduction of L, buy what about C?

First, it's hard to imagine Cersei disregarding her family's wishes and run off. It's even harder to imagine her being so romantic. While I don't deny her having desires, romantic is not a word I associate with her.

I also think that the Tywin Lannister was more frightening than the Starks though I fully acknowledge not knowing a great deal about Rickard Stark. Aerys was mad but he was very well aware of what Tywin could and couldn't do. I don't think Aerys was afraid of Tywin but he would have known to expect serious trouble. The Starks seem to have been a far away family with little power. Clearly that was the wrong but I can see why someone would think that. Finally, Jon Arryn was the driving force of the rebellion. That alliance wouldn't have existed for Tywin.

Still, there would have been war. One doesn't just take a noble born daughter and not expect bloodshed.

I don't think Tywin would get the support. The thing is that half the kingdom joined Robert's rebellion from start (and each had a good reason, so no chance for turning over) and later Lannisters joined in. The rebellion would be the end of Lannisters.

The rebellion wouldn't have happened. But Tywin wanted Rhaegar to marry Cersei. If Rhaegar wanted he could have married her, (even against Aerys wishes).

Cersei's one true love has always been Jaime, so I guess that match (R+C) was never meant to be.

What if Rhaegar fell for Cersie at the tournament at Herrenhall instead of Lyanna, everything else up to that point being the same, just different girl.

He'd return her to Tywin roughly 10 minutes after absconding with her, leaving a note that says "Gods have mercy, you can keep her."

He'd return her to Tywin roughly 10 minutes after absconding with her, leaving a note that says "Gods have mercy, you can keep her."

Seriously, this a thousand times. Cersei wanted Rhaegar, but if Rhaegar knew anything about Cersei he'd have run in the opposite direction.

If the OP situation had occured, nothing would have happened. Tywin might have been miffed if they ran off together, but since that is only possible match for a Lannister (in their opinion) it would have been fine. In order for this to have happened though a lot of personal and personality changes also need to occur so it isn't just the "switch the girl" premise that would need to be adjusted.

Cersei's one true love has always been Jaime, so I guess that match (R+C) was never meant to be.

But she was infatuated with Rhaegar, even as a little girl drawing pictures of her riding with him on the back of a dragon. Later she was bitterly disappointed that her betrothal was refused by Aerys. She would've been thrilled to have been kidnapped by Rhaegar, how romantic!

But really, as Squarely Rooted surmised, Rhaegar would have returned her. "Not what I bargained for." Lol

There won't be a rebellion that's for sure. The only other girl who would've sparked a rebellion is Cat because of the Tully- Stark-Arryn-Baratheon alliance

Cersei wouldn't just run off with Rhaegar, she'd tell him to marry her and then inform her father. Stark's are rash and impulsive, Lannisters are ambitious and cunning. Cersei would refuse to run, she'd want him to make their marriage public

Archived