A new look at the GNC

Blutraven

It's my first post on here so apologies if this has been bought up before.

As far as I understand the GNC is a plan between various northern lords to use Stannis to get rid of the Boltons, Freys and Ironmen still in the north. They then plan to install Rickon as KITN and declare independence from the Iron Throne again.

Recently I watched the first season of the show again and when the Greatjon declared Robb KITN as he didn't want to be ruled from some flowery seat in the south by someone who knows nothing of the north. I looked this section up in the books and his speech is more or less the same.

Stannis abandoned his seat on Dragonstone to repel a wildling invasion, he let the defeated wildlings through the wall to attempt to bring them into the realm, which would end their raiding, he rode south to Winterfell through a mother of a snowstorm to expel the Boltons and Freys and tried putting a Stark back in Winterfell with Jon.

This is almost certainly wishful thinking on my part as I'm a massive Stannis fan.

So, could the Northern lords forget the plans of independence because of what Stannis is doing or is this just a crackpot theory?

It's my first post on here so apologies if this has been bought up before.

As far as I understand the GNC is a plan between various northern lords to use Stannis to get rid of the Boltons, Freys and Ironmen still in the north. They then plan to install Rickon as KITN and declare independence from the Iron Throne again.

Recently I watched the first season of the show again and when the Greatjon declared Robb KITN as he didn't want to be ruled from some flowery seat in the south by someone who knows nothing of the north. I looked this section up in the books and his speech is more or less the same.

Stannis abandoned his seat on Dragonstone to repel a wildling invasion, he let the defeated wildlings through the wall to attempt to bring them into the realm, which would end their raiding, he rode south to Winterfell through a mother of a snowstorm to expel the Boltons and Freys and tried putting a Stark back in Winterfell with Jon.

This is almost certainly wishful thinking on my part as I'm a massive Stannis fan.

So, could the Northern lords forget the plans of independence because of what Stannis is doing or is this just a crackpot theory?

I think there are basically 2 GNC theories, depending on who you think the Northern lords are actually supporting. Rickon might be one case, but boy lords are the bane of houses, particulalry in winter, as the Northmen should know. So I expect them to ultimately support Jon as KitN. Stannis is definitely out of the picture here, as the GNC was specifically a counter-theory to rampant Stanstanism on the board.

I'd like to think that any chance of the North accepting rule under the Iron Throne died with the dozens of heirs and firstborn sons of lords that died alongside Robb at the Red Wedding. Only one house in the North came off better from the Red Wedding, every single other house bar Karstark lost sons, brothers, uncles, nephews, and fathers.

I'd like to think that any chance of the North accepting rule under the Iron Throne died with the dozens of heirs and firstborn sons of lords that died alongside Robb at the Red Wedding. Only one house in the North came off better from the Red Wedding, every single other house bar Karstark lost sons, brothers, uncles, nephews, and fathers.

Germany lost WWI pretty decisively, with an entire generation lost almost. Guess what they did only 20 years later? Start a new war, partially out of revenge for the lost last one.

Archived