Rhaegar and Lyanna = Romeo and Juliet

The Black Hawk

We all at one point of our education or pleasure have read the tragic love story of two star crossed lovers of two bitter rival houses by the greatest writer of his time William Shakespeare. The play ends with both Romeo and Juliet taking their loves for both think the other is dead. So maybe looking at the play can give us how Rhaegar and Lyanna may have conducted they love affair and characters we might see similarities to

Romeo= Rhaegar

Juliet= Lyanna

Paris= Robert

Benevolio= JonCon

Mercretio= Arthur

Tybalt= Brandon

Lord Montague=Aerys

Lord Captulet= Rickard

Hmm definite similarities. Rival families etc. but I think how they died might reveal a little bit more about Lyanna. She could've died in childbirth or maybe she could've taken something after hearing of Rhaegar's death. Not likely but interesting to think about.

Its hard to define the antagonist in this perspective because obviously Robert would be the main one in the real story, but he's not part of either family. And I don't remember if Juliet had a rival lover. But I guess Brandon as Tybalt would be close to accurate. Maybe even Ned, who ends up killing Arthur.

You know a story is rich when you can compare it with ones like Romeo and Juliet.

Not at all. Both are stories of forbidden love. There it ends. The story is completely different. Targaryens and Starks were not even rival families to begin with and the rest of plot and events do not match at all.

Romeo= Rhaegar

Juliet= Lyanna

Paris= Robert

Benevolio= JonCon

Mercretio= Arthur

Tybalt= Brandon

Lord Montague=Aerys

Lord Captulet= Rickard

So, I'm honestly kind of impressed you aligned the characters, BH. Like how Mercutio is Romeo's BFF, Benvolio the sort of clueless do-gooder translating to Arthur and Jon Con respectively. Tybalt the hothead connected to Juliet's house, etc.

That being said, are you suggesting that Rhaegar and Lyanna killed themselves thinking the other was dead? I mean, are you trying to predict how they died by looking at the R+J parallel to conclude they were suicides or something?

That being said, are you suggesting that Rhaegar and Lyanna killed themselves thinking the other was dead? I mean, are you trying to predict how they died by looking at the R+J parallel to conclude they were suicides or something?

Sometimes I wonder if Rhaegar had the KG kill Lyanna and then he went on to intentionally get himself killed on the Trident.

Archived