House specific songs in Westeros espescially about the Starks

Inquisitor Glokta

We all know the famous example of a specific song to represent a certain house and that would be 'The Rains of Castamere'. The song is a homage to Tywin's victory over the house Reyne.

I just started to wonder, why there aren't any other house specific songs for some the other ancient houses, like house Stark.

Why are there no songs about the old kings of winter and the deeds they have accomplished or a song about Brandon the builder, the supposed founder of house Stark and builder of the wall?

I can't recall any other house specific songs other than The Rains of Castamere, which is a pretty new song, since it is about Tywin's victory.

I'm pointing the Starks out especially, since in the northern european regions it was common to keep songs of local heroes, most of those we know about were written down a few hundred years later.

Imo old songs should have been kept within the houses like old war stories.

Well. it could be: Bear and the Maiden fair-Mormont, Dornishman's Wife-Martell, Florian and Jonquil-Mooton, Iron Lances-Hoare, Rat Cook-Frey.

there was a song being written about the young wolf's victories but it was never mentioned again

As I said, I wonder mostly why there are no wide known songs about the kings of winter mentioned in the books. We have 4 Stark children, Ned and Catelyn as pov, yet none of them ever mention Stark specific songs.

I mean, they reigned for thousands of years as kings of winter. The very founder of the house, is said to have built the wall. Why are there no famous (at least among the northerners) songs about them? Just seems odd to me, is all.

edit: The song about the young wolf, would again have been modern history.

It`s mentioned in A Game of Thrones by both Sansa and (possibly) Ned and Catelyn that the singers rarely come North. This suggests that songs and singers aren`t part of First Men/Northman tradition? Of course Bael the Bard would throw that out the window.

Still, it`s said that singers in the North are a rare sight so it`s possible that not many songs are written about what happens there.

Archived