R+L=J does not a king make

No, it proves that Ned & Jon chose the king. Yes, they used Targ blood to justify it, but in the end it was because he was chosen by the lords. You even admit that if he had zero Targ blood he'd still be king. That to me says that it's meaningless and was just used so that Ned could go back to Winterfell.

First of all, it's not meaningless because the author chose to include it in the story. Second of all, we don't know to what extent "he was chosen by the lords". All we know is Robert's Targaryen blood played a part, and everyone agrees Robert had the best claim because of it. Yes it was a small part, but a part nonetheless.

First of all, it's not meaningless because the author chose to include it in the story. Second of all, we don't know to what extent "he was chosen by the lords". All we know is Robert's Targaryen blood played a part, and everyone agrees Robert had the best claim because of it. Yes it was a small part, but a part nonetheless.

And you know that the author did not choose to include it in the story to muddy the waters, how exactly?

Regarding 'everyone agrees Robert had the best claim because of [his targ blood]', do you have textual evidence to back this up? Ned says so, but only because he didn't want the throne himself. Renly says Robert was king because of his warhammer, not his Targ blood. Jaime says that Ned could have taken the throne if he had wanted it. Even Robert says that Ned should be king. So besides Ned, who is this 'everybody' and if they cared about bloodlines so much, why not prop Viserys or Aegon as king w/ a regent?

Targaryen blood is royal blood. Robert just started a new dynasty not a new kingdom look at: James I, Henry VII, Henry IV, Henry II, George I, and Edward VII all from the same blood line.

Royal blood through conquest. In Valyria they were herders and farmers until they tamed dragons and conquered the world. Stark blood is royal blood as well, they were Kings of Winter for thousands of years and go farther back than even Targaryan royalty.

And you know that the author did not choose to include it in the story to muddy the waters, how exactly?

Just my opinion.

Regarding 'everyone agrees Robert had the best claim because of [his targ blood]', do you have textual evidence to back this up? Ned says so, but only because he didn't want the throne himself. Renly says Robert was king because of his warhammer, not his Targ blood. Jaime says that Ned could have taken the throne if he had wanted it. Even Robert says that Ned should be king. So besides Ned, who is this 'everybody' and if they cared about bloodlines so much, why not prop Viserys or Aegon as king w/ a regent?

Yes, the quote that has been provided, as well as another about the maesters, both asert that Robert's claim to the throne derived from his Targ blood, I don't have my books with me, but there are 2 quotes from the text which back this up.

Of course Renly, who is attempting to claim the throne entirely through might, would claim such a thing.

I like you bringing up the fact of Viserys, when I had mentioned the same thing several pages back. If you would have bothered to read any of my posts, you would know that my opinion is that Robert won the throne through conquest and had he no Targ blood he still would have been king.

However, it is stated in the books, so I'm not sure why you're arguing with me, that Robert had the best claim because of his Targaryen blood. If you want to ignore this fact or overlook it, feel free, but it's in the books regardless.

Archived