Enjoying the re read more ?

The King Breaker

I found the Asoaif books two days before my fifteenth birthday. so i think Im quite young compared to average readers( i judge based that no one i know my age has touched them with a ten foot pole). and to be honest the most complex book i read before a game of thrones was like dennis the menace or something. and after i finished i went back and did a re read. having just finished this i realized that i enjoyed re reading them more than i did reading them for the first time. i think its because half the time on my first read i was wondering what the hell was going on. also on my re read i was able to pick up on loads of the more subtle points in the text.

so my question is did any one else enjoy re reading more than they did the first time? obviously nothing can compare to the shock that reading for the first time brings.

sorry if this is in the wrong place

I found the Asoaif books two days before my fifteenth birthday. so i think Im quite young compared to average readers( i judge based that no one i know my age has touched them with a ten foot pole).

I started when I was 12, in 14 now.

I found the Asoaif books two days before my fifteenth birthday. so i think Im quite young compared to average readers( i judge based that no one i know my age has touched them with a ten foot pole).

You're not alone in this. I first read aGoT in 2011, 14 years old, and I only know one person who has ever read any of aSoIaF.

And yes, i have quite enjoyed rereading the books. You miss a lot details the first time you read the books, especially when english isn't your first language, and rereading has cleared up my mind in many ways.

I found the Asoaif books two days before my fifteenth birthday. so i think Im quite young compared to average readers( i judge based that no one i know my age has touched them with a ten foot pole). and to be honest the most complex book i read before a game of thrones was like dennis the menace or something. and after i finished i went back and did a re read. having just finished this i realized that i enjoyed re reading them more than i did reading them for the first time. i think its because half the time on my first read i was wondering what the hell was going on. also on my re read i was able to pick up on loads of the more subtle points in the text.

so my question is did any one else enjoy re reading more than they did the first time? obviously nothing can compare to the shock that reading for the first time brings.

sorry if this is in the wrong place

I enjoyed the books the very first time, turning the page to find out what happened next. Then, enjoyed them even more as I got to know the characters and had the opportunity to look at their arcs as a whole. A re-read allows us to read slowly, analyzing themes and picking up all the missed foreshadowing, figuring out how Martin plays literary tricks on us with his POV style. It's great stuff.

I'd also add that your experience, regardless of your age, is very typical. Martin has said many times that he wrote the series to require re-reads. The first time around, with all the plots and characters, is to just pick up on the very story lines. But, the richness of the series comes out after that first time.

Archived