Wylla Manderly and Lyanna Mormont- just a discussion

Starks Among Us

Yes. I've always figured that Manderly wants to be the key figure in bringing the Starks back. This way he can make a marriage alliance and cement his northern street cred.

And no one can say he won't have earned it. If he really succeeds in putting Rickon back in Winterfell, I'll cry my eyes out for hours listening to the House Stark theme music from the show over and over again and be severely tempted to shut the book and pretend the story ends there.

How has this thread not delved a little deeper into these two amazing, awesome and brave girls NAMES?? Lyanna and Wylla? Is that a freaking coincidence?

I understand Lyanna, and it makes tons of sense. She was known throughout the North for the she-wolf she was - that would have rung especially true on Bear Island with its strong female leaders and warriors. Lyanna was a renowned rider, and wild, so she is a true role model for any strong Northern female. Her young death surely was grieved by the North, and there is no mystery of why a Mormont named their daughter after her.

By Wylla - we know that name from one other source, the Dayne wet-nurse - alleged lover of Eddard, potential mother of Jon Snow (unlikely), the wet-nurse of Jon Snow (likely, at least for a time), the wet-nurse of Ned Dayne (true), and wasn't she even mentioned in the Sisters as the lover of Eddard in a completely different context? as the daughter of a fisherman, when Ned was being smuggled back North at the start of RR?

So how do we reconcile that apparent coincidence, that the wet-nurse of Starfell has the same name as the granddaughter of Wyman Manderly? Wylla definitely fits in the naming convention of the manderlys (but that could also be a southern/Reach thing - Willas Tyrell, etc). Could the Wylla that became a wet-nurse be a Manderly? How the hell did that work out?

I always thought Wylla's name was in honour of her grandfather ...

Lord Wyman

his sons: Wylis (and Wendel)

his granddaughters: Wynafryd; Wylla

There could be more to it than that, but at this point we can only point and speculate.

I do adore their names, however. They are some of the bravest souls Westeros has to offer.

Im just skeptical that we're dealing with a coincidence of names, when dealing with one of the biggest mysteries of the entire series (Jon/Ned's bastard/etc), and then she pops up again with this wild hardcore Stark loyalist speech.

But we shall see. That could never be addressed.

• 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Wylla - name of the milk-mother to Ned Dayne, possibly "mother" to Jon Snow, more probably milk mother to Jon Snow, and also suggested as the name of "that common girl" Ned Stark had.

Lyanna - Ned's sister, possible mother to Jon Snow.

GRRM could have named these two awesome female characters anything, and he chose Wylla and Lyanna. That is just beyond curious to me.

Archived