With Tywin and Kevan dead

Dragonman1979

I think this where Tyrek comes in potentially. Varys has him stashed in a broom closet somewhere, and slowly but surely the house gets whittled down until Tyrek's number comes up, after which he miraculously resurfaces to be Varys's Westerlands stooge. As for Tyrion rallying his family's bannermen, I get the impression that he plans to get the Rock through dragons and/or sellswords, not by making a case to the bannermen.

Tyrion last I checked promised a certain sellsword group half the gold in CR. So I think any one who gets in Tyrions way is going to have to fight him. Also Tyrion is accused of killing king Joffrey, Tywin hand of the king also he has fled sentencing. Because of the lost duel he was found guilty. All of these are Capital Crimes Tyrion has lost his claim. He can only get it back through conquest or a change of power granting, his rights back to him.

I doubt Tyrion could convince the Lannister bannermen of anything. People think he killed Joffrey, and he actually killed Tywin. If he gets their support it will be through force.

Martyn poses a problem if Varys plans on using Tyrek. I'm assuming most bannermen would want to go by the line of succession, and Martyn is first after Cersei and her kids. Not to mention Martyn is the son of Kevan, who is fresh in everyones mind, while Tyrek is a boy who disappeared a couple years ago, and is son of a man who died over a decade ago.

Martyn's a squire who's already been taken prisoner once, and his sister Janei is a toddler. Note that I didn't say that Tyrek is the heir now, just that the list is getting whittled down, which it is. That's why the Tyrek thing is so ingenious. Steal a random cousin who seems like a nobody, and let events transpire (or get them to transpire) that eventually makes that guy, the one nobody really missed, the next in line.

And Cersie having her problems, how likely is it that Tyrion could rally any of his house's bannermen to Dany's cause?

I think he could do so. Maybe many recognized that Tywin despised Tyrion and never wanted him to inherit Casterly Rock, but I am sure there's a few who probably lied Tyrion well enough.

He is a kinslayer and presumed kingslayer in their eyes, but I think under the surface, they probably saw Tywin as the kind of man whome someone was going to kill eventually, knew what sort of monster Joffrey was even as they fought for his cause, and don't think much of Cersei's abilities. The (completely true) rumours of her and Jaime comitting incest do not help matters. They may have little confidence in anyone who comes from Tywin's line, but as you said, Kevan is dead, so there goes their only other good choice. Not Lancel, so weak and full of holy angst. Not Devan, who seem both too nice and too ordinary. Not Genna because though she has the toughness, she is also married to a Frey (and nobody wants Frey associations anymore). Tommen is king, and Myrcella a girl (and betrothed to a Martell as well).

Actually, all things considered, there may be a Castamere II situaion brewing. Some bannermen may believe that House Lannister time is basically coming - and how long before families such as the Crakehall's start thinking the west needs a new family to rule it ? If Cersei falls, and Jaime is either dead or disqualified, well ... Casterly Rock would seem easy pickings. In that situation, if Tyrion came back they might forgive his trespasses as long as he was strong enough to rally those loyal to House Lannister.

Are there many known Lannister bannermen who were very Targ loyal?

I doubt that any of the western bannermen are very Targ-loyal. After what the Lannister's did in Robert's Rebellion (sacking King's Landing, killing Rhaegar's wife children, and Jaime killing the king), Tywin could never trust a bannerman who had been Targ-loyal or even Targ-sympathetic. Tywin wants people to be loyal to him, period - and his actions did not leave much room for ambiguity. Prior to the rebellion, I would not be surprised if quite a few westermen were considered loyalists. I imagine the aftermath of the rebellion saw a lot of such houses get purged or their lords marginalized. Maybe not a "Castamere" situation, but there was probably a jump in the number of lords and knights sent to the wall, or into exile, or who saw their places displaced by relatives.

Archived