How will History Remember Robb Stark - The King who Rose?

AegonTargaryen

If Wylla Manderly is any indication then the North wiil remember Robb pretty fondly "King Robb. He was our king! He was brave and good and the Freys murdered him."

She is a child, a privileged child at that, who unlike many of the North has not suffered for their Leaders follies. She has been protected from the horrors and devastation the North has endured under Robbs rule and only has an idealized version of Robb.

you can make all the unfair statements about Robb that you want but when you attack Wylla Manderly then you've gone too far.

"They killed Lord Eddard and Lady Catelyn and King Robb. He was our king! He was brave and good and the Freys murdered him. If Lord Stannis will avenge him, we should join Lord Stannis."

"I know about the promise … Maester Theomore, tell them! A thousand years before the conquest, a promise was made, and oaths were sworn in the Wolf's Den before the old gods and the new. When we were sore beset and friendless, hounded from our homes and in peril of our lives, the wolves took us in and nourished us and protected us against our enemies. The city is built upon the land they gave us. In return we swore that we should always be their men. Stark men!"

you can make all the unfair statements about Robb that you want but when you attack Wylla Manderly then you've gone too far.

All I have said about Wylla is that she is a privileged child, How is that attacking her?

This is a thread not about how good a person Robb was, or if he was right or wrong but how history will remember him. No need to be so sensitive.

Robb was daring and tactically brilliant. Tywinn was adequate, but rather predictable. A less then charitable person may even go so far as calling him stolid, making him a rather easy target for someone willing to take risks.

Sure Robb won some battles and made some good tactical choices. And still Tywin squashed him like a bug.

I wouldn't say that Tywin squashed him like a bug; he probably would have if he had been able to give Robb his undivided attention, but Robb made some pretty sound tactical decisions and was doing quite well in the field. It's really Robb who killed Robb by giving the Freys a grievance.

All I have said about Wylla is that she is a privileged child, How is that attacking her?

This is a thread not about how good a person Robb was, or if he was right or wrong but how history will remember him. No need to be so sensitive.

I was joking but don't forget that her uncle was murdered at the Red Wedding and her father was held prisoner in Harrenhall for two years and there were probably a lot of Manderley men killed at the Red Wedding and she was also told that she had to marry a Frey so life has not been all roses for Wylla but she knows that Robb Stark was not the reason all the bad things happened it was the Greyjoys, Lannisters, Freys and Boltons who caused them and history will remember that and Robb Stark will be a hero in the North for a long time.

Tywin beat Roose Bolton but that was meant to happen and Robb ended up capturing jaime. i said before that as the readers we know more than most of the characters so it is fair to say that you will remember Robb as an idiot who fucked everything up, except the battles he won at overwhelmingly bad odds of course, but as far as i have heard from the characters of the story it seems like Robb will be revered or respected by most of westeros

Robb, the Young Wolf who defeated the feared Tywin Lannister every time their armies met, was assasinated by violating guest's rights while attending his uncle's wedding at the Twins of the Freys by the hosts themselves who did so in vengence of his broken betrothal and to acquire choice marriages from House Lannister for Lord Walder's many offspring. In essence, he will go down as a Martyr.

it seems like most Houses have distanced themselves from the Freys. even Tywin made sure that Lord Walder got the credit for the red wedding. The Riverlords at RiverRun when Jaime arrived seemed to hate the Freys and Barbrey Dustin says that pretty much every house in the north hated the Freys and were following Bolton because they were forced too. it seems like everyone thinks that Robb was brave and capable and was betrayed... a lot. he did break his oath but i havent heard a character other than a Frey say that the RW was justified.

Robb, the Young Wolf who defeated the feared Tywin Lannister every time their armies met, was assasinated by violating guest's rights while attending his uncle's wedding at the Twins of the Freys by the hosts themselves who did so in vengence of his broken betrothal and to acquire choice marriages from House Lannister for Lord Walder's many offspring. In essence, he will go down as a Martyr.

yes he will be a martyr if the Starks are restored. if any of his siblings rule the north then his memory is set in stone as a hero.

i said before that as the readers we know more than most of the characters so it is fair to say that you will remember Robb as an idiot who fucked everything up, except the battles he won at overwhelmingly bad odds of course, but as far as i have heard from the characters of the story it seems like Robb will be revered or respected by most of westeros

I don't believe he was an idiot or that he fucked everything up , maybe that's your opinion but it's not fair to say as the reader that will be all of our opinions.

what has Tywin ever really won? how powerful were the Reyens and Tarbecks? Did he do well at the defiance of Duskendale? i thought Barristan the bold went in there and rescued the king. and how prepared was kings landing when he sacked the city? he beat Roose Bolton like Robb intended him to then Edmure defended the fords from him. and on the blackwater i think Tyrion did most of the damage with the wildfire. Was it all him or do you think Garlan had more to do with it, leading the men in Renlys armor. Tarly gave Robert his only real loss during the rebellion. so what did he do on the battlefield that was so impressive? i really dont remember

I don't believe he was an idiot or that he fucked everything up , maybe that's your opinion but it's not fair to say as the reader that will be all of our opinions.

oh no i think Robb was great trust me that isnt my opinion. i was saying to anyone on the thread who thought that way that they are justified, but i am just as justified in saying that Robb was an Excellent commander, his biggest flaw was being too trusting. everyone fucked him over and most of Westeros seems thinks so too. i wasnt talking to you personally i was just saying that to anyone who does think of Robb that way

oh no i think Robb was great trust me that isnt my opinion. i was saying to anyone on the thread who thought that way that they are justified, but i am just as justified in saying that Robb was an Excellent commander, his biggest flaw was being too trusting. everyone fucked him over and most of Westeros seems thinks so too. i wasnt talking to you personally i was just saying that to anyone who does think of Robb that way

sorry , i mistook your post, i understand what you were trying to say now.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, and this situation seems to be a tough one. I think one of the problems is we only really see Robb through Cats eyes during the war. She is a grief stricken widow/mother who sees her young son trying to grow up extremely fast. The book does a better job showing how green Robb truly is. But the opinion we are presented about Robb is very biased, being his mothers.

My personal opinion is that he shares in a lot of the responsibility of his downfall. I just don't understand how some people can chalk it up to strict betrayal and nothing else. Robb made some glaring mistakes that led to a lot of the treachery. He turned out to be a very good strategic commander. I won't say the best, because I don't believe it. But hid youth showed in other areas ie Theon, Rickard, Cat/Kingslayer situation.

In the end how he will be remembered relies heavily on who wins. As others have stated if the Starks regain Winterfell he will be remembered as the KITN who fought and died to avenge his father and free the North from tyranny. If the North does not succeed and the Starks do not retake Winterfell I think he will be remembered more like the Kings Beyond the Wall who failed in their conquests.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, and this situation seems to be a tough one. I think one of the problems is we only really see Robb through Cats eyes during the war. She is a grief stricken widow/mother who sees her young son trying to grow up extremely fast. The book does a better job showing how green Robb truly is. But the opinion we are presented about Robb is very biased, being his mothers.

My personal opinion is that he shares in a lot of the responsibility of his downfall. I just don't understand how some people can chalk it up to strict betrayal and nothing else. Robb made some glaring mistakes that led to a lot of the treachery. He turned out to be a very good strategic commander. I won't say the best, because I don't believe it. But hid youth showed in other areas ie Theon, Rickard, Cat/Kingslayer situation.

In the end how he will be remembered relies heavily on who wins. As others have stated if the Starks regain Winterfell he will be remembered as the KITN who fought and died to avenge his father and free the North from tyranny. If the North does not succeed and the Starks do not retake Winterfell I think he will be remembered more like the Kings Beyond the Wall who failed in their conquests.

yeah i can completely understand why you look at it all that way. he did make a lot of mistakes that lead to his downfall but he was also dealing with some treacherous people. and i agree about if the starks arent restored he wont be a martyr or hero i still think he will be talked about and it wont be completely negative

If the North succeeds in gaining independence, he's probably going to go down as a martyr; the boy king who stoked the fires for the independence movement and was unbeatable in battle until his enemies had to resort to the worst kind of treachery to defeat him.

But in all probability, he's also going to be vastly overshadowed historically by whichever one of his relatives is in charge (even if just as a figurehead) when the North actually secedes.

Archived