Champion conflicts [Near-end Spoilers]

Dananias

This thread will contain spoilers from Cersei's last chapter in aFFC and reflections back to aSoS. Didn''t find a thread regarding this on the forum, sorry if this is an already addressed issue.

One thing that caught my attention in Cersei's last conversation with Margaery in the sept is when she says that the queen must have a member of the kingsguard as her champion in a trial-by-combat. Which left Margaery with slim pickings. So here's my question:

How was Cersei able to enlist The Mountain as her Champion against Tyrion after the PW. She was the queen regent at the time, Joffrey was dead and Tommen had yet to marry Margaery, leaving Cersei as the only queen. Yet Clegane was not a member of the king's guard. Shouldn't She have been limited to the remaining Kingsguard members? Was this rule only aimed at the wife of the King and the King himself? Or did the realm just not give a damn in this particular case, given the severity of the charges? If not then the Only possibility I see is GRRM being inconsistent with his world's laws.

My assumption is that the law which obliges a member of the King's Guard to defend the king or queen during a trial by combat is an old and rusty law. It was convenient for Cersei to forget about it when Tyrion was trialed.

Now, with the accusations towards Margaery, it seems convenient to bring it into the light, Cersei herself states that this would oblige the little queen to choose Blount as her champion.

Remember that the story is set on medieval times, when rules were complex and ambiguous, and rulers manipulated them achieve their objectives.

My assumption is that the law which obliges a member of the King's Guard to defend the king or queen during a trial by combat is an old and rusty law. It was convenient for Cersei to forget about it when Tyrion was trialed.

Now, with the accusations towards Margaery, it seems convenient to bring it into the light, Cersei herself states that this would oblige the little queen to choose Blount as her champion.

Remember that the story is set on medieval times, when rules were complex and ambiguous, and rulers manipulated them achieve their objectives.

This makes a lot of sense, but I would've thought if this was GRRM's reason he would've made Cersei reminisce on Tyrion's trial and how she "broke" the law... But hey, yours is better

This makes a lot of sense, but I would've thought if this was GRRM's reason he would've made Cersei reminisce on Tyrion's trial and how she "broke" the law... But hey, yours is better

It is likely the reasoning that Duncan mentioned. Specifically, that the Queen only requires the Kingsguard to act as her representation when she is the defendant as then the KG is acting as a representative in the defense of the Queen's honor. While, when she is accusing someone of a crime it isn't her honor on the stake thus she has more freedom of whom she can pick.

Archived