Question.Did Rhaegar have a polygamous marriage after Elia?

Audrey Arryn

Sure. Just ask Henry II. That's why The Revolt of the Eagles happened, because his sons - not only the Young King but the three others - had no political power.

That must be also why Aerys feared Rhaegar, because Rhaegar had no political power and held no sway with the lords.

And the fact that out of everyone at court, the future George IV, with his known excesses and vices, was chosen to be regent to his mental father clearly shows that Crown Princes held no political power.

I have a problem detecting sarcasm on the internet

Was that sarcasm?

My response was for this

he pretty much has absolute power to make law.

He didn't have absolute power. The king has absolute power.

Joff was the crown prince and did you see him going around making major political decisions? Please.

The king can make law, not a damn prince.

Was that sarcasm?

My response was for this

Joff was the crown prince and did you see him going around making major political decisions? Please.

Yes, it was sarcasm because I fail to see what the whole point had to do with anything. Rhaegar didn't need to change the law because the law had been settled about 300 years ago when Aegon married his two sisters. Targaryen polygamy was legal. That's it. The fact that it hadn't been practiced for 100 years, at least, has nothing to do with it. Rhaegar didn't need to change the law, he needed to stroke some feathers because although legal, polygamy would have been socially and politically unacceptable. As you said in earlier posts, without their dragons the Targaryens were not so high and mighty. But that doesn't translate to polygamy being illegal, so no change of laws needed.

What Rhaegar needed and probably failed to see if he did marry Lyanna after all was that a second Crown Princess and later Queen of Westeros was an arrangement no one would have been happy with, except for him and Lyanna, so he had to point his efforts at making his second marriage look more acceptable. I think we're in agreement that it would have been a very hard task. I tend to think it would have been impossible, in fact.

Was that sarcasm?

My response was for this

Err... for the same reason that as king neither Joff nor Tommen ruled with absolute power. They were children. Irreverent.

Except for this point. If the King alone has absolute power to pass laws, it's pretty evident that none of them ever got around to formally banning polygamy. The Targs obviously wouldn't, and it's extremely unlikely Robert would bother with such a detail (and it was never mentioned if he did).

Err... for the same reason that as king neither Joff nor Tommen ruled with absolute power. They were children. Irreverent.

Except for this point. If the King alone has absolute power to pass laws, it's pretty evident that none of them ever got around to formally banning polygamy. The Targs obviously wouldn't, and it's extremely unlikely Robert would bother with such a detail (and it was never mentioned if he did).

Still, a prince has no power to change the law, the king does.

Archived