Stannis is getting set up for a win!

E-Ro

The sparrows have power only in KL and any sort of armed force of real soldiers would have little trouble putting them to flight and ending the high septons tom foolery. In fact, had tywin been in charge the high septon would most likely be rotting in the dungeons right now. Kevan is just a push over. He has a few followers sure, but he isnt looking for the small folks support, hes looking for the support of lords who can give him soldiers, and if history(both in real life and in the series itself) has taught us anything its that the lords follow whoever gives them the most benefit. The second Stannis has more to offer then tommen is the second Stannis gets his troops.

How did I contradict myself? I said they wouldn't care if hes a fun sponge if he feeds them.

As for the bit at the end, you can either see the future or are grrm. Since you aren't grrm and we all know that, can I get next weeks lotto numbers brah?

The sparrows do not only have power in KL, though this is where they have most power (remember Brienne's chapters). I think you want to see Stannis win the throne so much you are prepared to overlook realities. The rising militancy of the Faith and smallfolk seeking for security in the Faith is one of the big underlying themes of AFFC. I think we tend to forget about them because the sparrows don't feature prominently in ADWD (Cersei's walk of shame excluded). But remember, most of ADWD happens at the same that the Faith is rising. To me, it is clear that the clash of religions - old gods, the seven, the water god and R'hllor - will play a role in the books to come, because so much effort was put into building those up. There is no indication R'hllor is the true god, he's on the contrary the one to be most suspicious of. I agree that GRRM is a good one for twists and I don't rule out completely the possibility that R'hllor is what Mel says he is. But I really, really doubt it. I think Stannis' tragedy will be that he realises he did the right thing, but with terribly wrong means (Mel). His death will be tragic, and people who now hate Stannis will probably come to appreciate him. And that's the best outcome the story will be able to offer you, sorry.

As for me seeing the future or being GRRM, neither is true (or is it?). But storytelling has certain mechanics, and even clever old GRRM can't and won't ignore them and suddently go against the logic of his own story. So much he built up over years and years would become totally irrelevant if the story took the course you described.

Stannis is not AA nor will he sit the Iron Throne....

.... why... Because he doesn't have a POV chapter and was not one of the original characters beginning in Winterfell.

Yes in literary form it would be terrible for Stannis a character most are not invested in to sweep the throne. He just seems to lack the text and complexity of most of the pov's. I enjoy him as a side charcter but would be disappointed if he was the pinnacle of the story arch.

Archived