The possibility of a dual resurrection

chrisdaw

I don't necessarily believe in this but the possibility of a dual resurrection for Jon (presuming he's dead from here on out) has been gnawing at me. Some TWOW chapter spoilage below.

On the side of ice, Coldhands existence and relationship to Bloodraven/COTF suggests they may have the means to bring a human back to life. Bloodraven's likely preoccupation with Jon and Bran's family relationship with Jon seem motive enough, and the gift chapter opens up the possibility there may be some scheming for a sacrifice to the old gods happening, which may tie in. Also Bran resurrecting Jon would play out like the Story of Lyubim Tsarevich and the Winged Wolf, in which the Winged Wolf resurrects the hero after he is murdered by his treacherous brothers. Bran of course is referred to as the Winged Wolf.

On the side of fire there's Mel. We know from Mel's POV and constant pining that she believes Jon very important to the perilous future that is on the way, this may be motive enough. We also have some reason to believe she may be capable of resurrection given we know of another red priest who has done the deed.

And so I suppose both Bran and Mel may give resurrecting Jon a shot.

Jon himself seems a prime candidate for a resurrection of ice and fire. There's his fire-dragon father and ice-direwolf mother, making him a happy mix of both elements. There's the song of ice and fire that was supposedly his dead (half)brother's but fate may have really meant for him. There's the dream in which he is armoured in ice and brandishing a sword of fire.

So suppose both Bran and Mel give resurrection a go, and Jon wakes up, there seems some interesting possibilities. Both resurrections could have worked, and UnJon could be of both ice and fire. Perhaps only one method works, but the reader is left guessing as to which and what the implications are, perhaps the characters attempting resurrection themselves are left in the dark as to what really happened. It would be rather like Mel to attempt to raise Jon, actually fail, but assume it was her work (perhaps a delayed reaction) when Bran really does resurrect him.

Archived