Alternative way of revealing R+L=J

Ser Uncle P

We know from the end of ADWD and the TWOW excepts that Jon Connington will soon be dealing with the Dornishmen. This arc might give GRRM a chance to reveal R+L=J to the general readership, and to the players in the Game of Thrones itself, in a manner that a deus ex machina vision seen by Bran Stark could never suffice.

As we know 3 of the famous kingsguard dies in Dorne at the TOJ, including native Dornishman Arthur Dayne. Since Ned chivalrously returned the Dayne family sword to Starfall, we can assume that the surviving Daynes, and by extension their Martell overlords know about the demise of the 3 KG on Dornish soil, and can only have wondered, as Ned did at their absence from the Trident, Kings Landing, Dragonstone or Storms End theatres of the war.

As the closest surviving associate of Rhaegar, Connington will surely be curious as to the loose ends regarding the Crown Prince's life, especially the not so secret dalliance with Lyanna that started the whole mess. Meeting Dornish nobility would be the perfect chance for him to put the pieces together, and possibly set up an arc between (F)Aegon and (Un)Jon if Connington feels that Jon is a threat to (F)Aegon's claim.

Any thoughts???

Good thought. The one thing Martin has not told us is who was closer to Rhaeger -- Connington or Dayne. We know that Selmy revered Rhaeger, but thinks on how Dayne was Rheager's closest friend on the KG. And Connington frets and then thinks he won't let his prince down again.

As to Connington seeing Jon as a rival...he must know that he dragon has three heads. And Jon may not be a Targ. I think that the reveal on Jon and/or Tyrion and/or someone else, is going to be the cliffhanger of TWoW. With possible dragons showing up at the Wall and WInterfell, the realm may need as many riders as can be found.

If the answer to Jon's parentage has been in Dorne all along, boooo. I thought for a bit that Doran was hiding Ageon at the Pools with the rest of the children, whish made sense considering Elia.

After all that blather, no, I do not think Connington will see Jon as a rival.

Archived