Theon and the Stranger: The Hooden Man is... no one? (NOT a Theon Durden thread)

ghosts in winterfell

I brought this up in the most recent Hooded Man thread a couple days ago; it didn't get many responses and I fear that thread is derailed or dying. I also had a very difficult time finding any other instances where this idea was brought up (yes, I understand how to use the search function), so I think it warrants its own thread.

The identity of the Hooded Man is one of the biggest mysteries to come out of aDwD. He could be absolutely anyone; the endless possibilities actually make my brain hurt. So instead of troubling myself over which character from which conspiracy fits best, I suggest something much simpler.

What if the Hooded Man is actually... no one at all? Until his identity is revealed (if it ever is), I like to view the Hooded Man as a throw away character in a metaphorical situation that was meant to further Theon's character development.

When we first meet Theon in ACoK, he is quite arrogant and all around insufferable. However, throughout the course of his chapters, this mask starts to slip. We (and Ramsay) see his macho posturing for what it really is: a defense mechanism. Theon is deeply insecure and often lashes out at others in order to elevate himself. These insecurities lead him to make incredibly foolish (and downright cowardly) decisions that lead to his own downfall and current predicament.

At this point in the story (The Prince of Winterfell, ADwD), Theon has learned that there are things that are much worse than being laughed at; worse things than suffering the pain of death:

[...] And even such as these made mock of Theon Turncloak. Let them laugh. His pride had perished here in Winterfell; there was no place for such in the dungeons of the Dreadfort. When you have known the kiss of a flaying knife, a laugh loses all its power to hurt you.

Indeed, at this point death would be most welcome.

Below is the full encounter between Theon and the Hooded Man (The Ghost of Winterfell, ADwD). As it has been mentioned countless times before, Theon makes no note of having recognized this man as someone familiar to him. Clearly, this man is a stranger. I like to view the Hooded Man as a metaphorical representation of the Stranger - Death himself. Another alternative is the Hooded Wayfarer from the House of Black and White (thank you, Fire Eater).

Farther on, he came upon a man striding in the opposite direction, a hooded cloak flapping behind him. When they found themselves face-to-face their eyes met briefly. The man put a hand on his dagger. “Theon Turncloak. Theon Kinslayer.”

“I’m not. I never ... I was ironborn.”

“False is all you were. How is it you still breathe?”

“The gods are not done with me,” Theon answered, wondering if this could be the killer, the night walker who had stuffed Yellow Dick’s cock into his mouth and pushed Roger Ryswell’s groom off the battlements. Oddly, he was not afraid. He pulled the glove from his left hand. “Lord Ramsay is not done with me.”

The man looked, and laughed. “I leave you to him, then.”

Theon is literally being stalked by Death, and he tells him to piss off. Theon no longer fears death like he used to; he is able to stare it in the face without flinching. He is being kept alive because he has a much larger role to play.

ETA for clarification

1. I am aware that GRRM has said we will not be seeing appearences by the Gods, which is why I said metaphorical. The Hooded Man is not actually the god, just symbolic of what the Stranger represents: death.
  2. I am not implying that this is foreshadowing Theon's death. I think it actually indicates that he is in the game for the long run.

Thoughts?

Tyfyt!

I agree that the hooded man could be a foreshadowing of Theon's death but it would be so much better for the series if he was someone that knew all of Theon's misdeeds. Not for nothing but Theon had a very easy life before he decided to betray the Stark's.

I hope Theon lives long enough to look Bran or Rickon in the face to say, I don't know, "my bad".

That is actually cool.We never saw a god walking amongs human in this novels yet.Most of the fantsy novels introduce us with their gods sooner or later.Lotr introduces us with Melkor(Morgoth), Manwe. etc, Narnia has the Aslan, other novels has other gods but in asoiaf we haven't seen a god yet.Idon't think we will see them but it would be cool.

That is actually cool.We never saw a god walking amongs human in this novels yet.Most of the fantsy novels introduce us with their gods sooner or later.Lotr introduces us with Melkor(Morgoth), Manwe. etc, Narnia has the Aslan, other novels has other gods but in asoiaf we haven't seen a god yet.Idon't think we will see them but it would be cool.

Thank you!

Grrm said we would not see any 'Gods' in the series.

I am aware of this, which is why I said metaphorical. The Hooded Man is not actually the god, just symbolic of what the Stranger represents: death

I'll add this to the OP for clarification..

Grrm said we would not see any 'Gods' in the series.

Isn't there traction on these boards that Patchface is the Drowned God? I don't know where I read a brief discussion on this recently... (eta: Or was the discussion just that Patchface was a servant of or had met the Drowned God?)

I agree that the hooded man could be a foreshadowing of Theon's death but it would be so much better for the series if he was someone that knew all of Theon's misdeeds. Not for nothing but Theon had a very easy life before he decided to betray the Stark's.

I hope Theon lives long enough to look Bran or Rickon in the face to say, I don't know, "my bad".

I wasn't implying that this foreshadows Theon's death. I would actually argue the opposite. Theon's redemption arc has only just begun, he's here to stay. I'll add it to the OP, sry for the confusion.

I do agree with you about his actual identity, but I'm going to stick with this until then. I think it will make the reveal much more surprising and enjoyable that way for me.

I think I get what you are trying to say.Hooded man is the man who is going to kill him or hooded man is his death and Theon is actually talking to his death.Is that what you are trying to say?Like in Fringe when they were in Olivias mind they see a character with a x symbol and Olivia says that is the man who is going to kill him.Is that what you mean?

I think I get what you are trying to say.Hooded man is the man who is going to kill him or hooded man is his death and Theon is actually talking to his death.Is that what you are trying to say?Like in Fringe when they were in Olivias mind they see a character with a x symbol and Olivia says that is the man who is going to kill him.Is that what you mean?

I don't watch Fringe, but the bolded part is more or less what I'm trying to get at. The Hooded man should be his death, but he has a much larger role to play.

My favourite "Hooded Man" theory so far, I think I'll jump on this bandwagon. Personally, I'd prefer it this way, rather than him being one or another secondary character involved in the Northern lords conspiracy. Also I'm a big believer that we will see a Theon redemption, most likely with him joining the Night's Watch, so his defiance in the face of death, as you suggest it to be, suits this theory. Great post, you have me convinced!

My favourite "Hooded Man" theory so far, I think I'll jump on this bandwagon. Personally, I'd prefer it this way, rather than him being one or another secondary character involved in the Northern lords conspiracy. Also I'm a big believer that we will see a Theon redemption, most likely with him joining the Night's Watch, so his defiance in the face of death, as you suggest it to be, suits this theory. Great post, you have me convinced!

Thank you, I'm glad to hear it! I agree with you about Theon's redemption. His arc is far from over, GRRM probably has big plans for him.

I appreciate that this isn't a Theon Durden thread, however...

I sort of agree with what you're saying but this took place from Theon's pov so at the very least the hooded man was in his mind - but surely this makes it a Theon Durden incident ??

edit - I agree there is more to come from Theon

I appreciate that this isn't a Theon Durden thread, however...

I sort of agree with what you're saying but this took place from Theon's pov so at the very least the hooded man was in his mind - but surely this makes it a Theon Durden incident ??

edit - I agree there is more to come from Theon

No. The Hooded Man was real, not a figment of Theon's imagination. What I am saying is that the Hooded Man's identity is of no actual importance and was used to highlight Theon's development.

Archived