Aegon Targaryen

It just seems too convenient that Aegon is alive and well after all this time; I still think he's a fake and backup option for Varys and the good old magister.

GRRM did give a hint in a long ago interview that Aegon was alive, i think everybody here is mad about his sudden appearance because he was not in a place everybody else thought he was in.

As I already said in a different thread: there is one thing not making sense about the "fAegon is a Blackfyre"-theory: if he really is, why must he hide this identity? The Golden company would gladly follow him. The people in war-stricken Westeros wouldn't care whether he is a red or a black Targaryen, as long as he restores peace and legitimate rule. All other Targaryens are dead except for Daenerys who is still not widely known in Westeros and stuck in Mereen anyway. If he is really a Blackfyre, why must he pretend otherwise?

I have a different feeling about fAegon "popping up". It rather surprised me, that GRRM needed five books to come up with a false Tragaryen pretender, since this is a really obvious story element. Its not the surprise (it was none to me) and the "stealing of the throne" I don't like (since the whole series is about stealing thrones, from Robert Baratheon onward), but that all this comes in so late. But there may be a simple reason: Aegon is still a boy and had to reach a certain age before putting his claim.

Aurane Waters reminds Cersei of Rhaegar and the rumors are Lys is full of people with white-blond hair.

JonCon doesn't see Rhaegar in Aegon. He reflects on how Aegon's eye color is not the same shade as Rhaegar's. He doesn't see the face of his old friend in Aegon's features. But he still is 100% convinced this is Aegon.

Nobody trusts Varys. Especially one that worked with Varys as a Hand of the King. I don't see JonCon just trusting Varys at his word no matter how much he wants to believe it is true. I think JonCon was a part of the rescue mission to save Aegon and then went back to work for the Golden Company while Aegon grew old enough to start needing JonCon for his training. It's during this time period I think a Blackfyre was swapped in place for Aegon.

I'm a bit confused.

Are you saying another infant with face bashed in was substituted for the real Aegon, to create the impression with the Baratheons and Lannisters that the real Aegon was dead, and that the real Aegon was spirited away and hidden somewhere, but then later a Blackfyre took the place of said real Aegon?

If so, what became of the real Aegon?

I'm a bit confused.

Are you saying another infant with face bashed in was substituted for the real Aegon, to create the impression with the Baratheons and Lannisters that the real Aegon was dead, and that the real Aegon was spirited away and hidden somewhere, but then later a Blackfyre took the place of said real Aegon?

If so, what became of the real Aegon?

There has got to more to this story that has yet to unfold with JonCon. DOes he look like his mother?

Archived