Mercy foreshadowing (Mercy spoilers)

chrisdaw

Yes of course they will, GRRM has not contrived the marriage to later throw away. We have Tyrion who is manipulated to act against his better judgement by a young attractive girl who can well enough allow him to fulfil his fantasy of being loved. And Sansa, a young attractive girl finishing up her scholarship in manipulation. It's not by coincidence they have been pushed together through marriage or that their character traits play to each other's, Tyrion is Sansa's back door to power.

LOL I have to laugh at (and be utterly puzzled by) the idea that a forced marriage (with a whole bunch of ways it can be annulled) that neither of the parties think of as real anymore, is something sacred that cannot be "discarded", or that a forced marriage in the circumstances of Sansa/Tyrion marriage is something that helps the possibility of two people getting together.

You obviously haven't read Sansa's chapters closely if you think she is fond of the idea of marrying and fucking people in order to get into power. But even if she were like that, why the heck would she need Tyrion as some sort of "back door into power"? Tyrion has no power at the moment. And even if he came into power, he has no claim to anything except Casterly Rock (that's if circumstances change and his murder of Tywin and supposed murder of Joffrey do not matter anymore...), which Sansa doesn't want. Sansa is the one that people are trying to use as a back door to power, because she has a claim to the North/Winterfell (as well as to Riverrun) and she wants to go home to Winterfell - which a marriage to Tyrion is nothing but an obstacle to. She doesn't want to be married to a Lannister and have Lannister children, and the North (and the Riverlands) would never accept her if she is married to a Lannister or has Lannister children. If she wanted to marry people for power, Tyrion would be a horrible pick. Not to mention that she currently does not want to marry at all, that she would want to marry only if it's to someone who loves her, not someone who wants her for her claim, and that she's at the age when she discovering her sexuality and that she has been having erotic/romantic thoughts about someone else, not Tyrion, for quite a while now - and that she finds Tyrion utterly sexually unattractive.

Face it, there's absolutely nothing for Sansa to gain from her forced marriage to Tyrion and no reason for her to want to ever be his wife for real. The only thing it's useful to her is that she can't be forced by LF to marry anyone else - Tyrion is her ideal husband as long as he's far away on another continent and she has nothing to do with him. :lol:

I'm really baffled by the contrived arguments people come up with to justify the idea of Sansa ending up with Tyrion. They're not even arguing that they will fall in love with each other or anything (which would also be very unlikely). What's so fascinating and appealing about that idea that people obsess about it so much? Do you think forced marriages are awesome and that they should be upheld? Are you invested in the idea of Tywin Lannister as the world's greatest matchmaker and believe that what he puts together in order to steal the girl's families' claim, no man should pull asunder? Do you just like the visual in your head of Sansa and Tyrion having sex?

You probably think Jeyne Poole is going to go back to Ramsey and Asha will end up with Erik Ironmaker, after all, why would GRRM contrive a marriage to later throw it away...

LOL. I do hope people don't think they will end up together ... I mean, do you honestly believe Sansa would want to wake up to him everyday - Sansa will always hate Lannisters - Sure Tyrion is a cool character, but ... not a maids dream guy. People that think they would make a good couple are obviously not taking into consideration Sansa's personality and feelings. It's pretty selfish.

The marriage was forced, no matter what way you look at it. She had no say in it whatsoever. And I do hope she somehow escapes Little finger's grasp before she is forced to wed again. There must be a hero out there that can save her :D Even in a place like Westeros, there must be a hero.

I believe it is very possible they end up together. Her heart was softening for him as it is. There is no reason to think he won't be her savior. He certainly has redeeming qualities.

LOL I have to laugh at (and be utterly puzzled by) the idea that a forced marriage (with a whole bunch of ways it can be annulled) that neither of the parties think of as real anymore, is something sacred that cannot be "discarded", or that a forced marriage in the circumstances of Sansa/Tyrion marriage is something that helps the possibility of two people getting together.

You obviously haven't read Sansa's chapters closely if you think she is fond of the idea of marrying and fucking people in order to get into power. But even if she were like that, why the heck would she need Tyrion as some sort of "back door into power"? Tyrion has no power at the moment. And even if he came into power, he has no claim to anything except Casterly Rock (that's if circumstances change and his murder of Tywin and supposed murder of Joffrey do not matter anymore...), which Sansa doesn't want. Sansa is the one that people are trying to use as a back door to power, because she has a claim to the North/Winterfell (as well as to Riverrun) and she wants to go home to Winterfell - which a marriage to Tyrion is nothing but an obstacle to. She doesn't want to be married to a Lannister and have Lannister children, and the North (and the Riverlands) would never accept her if she is married to a Lannister or has Lannister children. If she wanted to marry people for power, Tyrion would be a horrible pick. Not to mention that she currently does not want to marry at all, that she would want to marry only if it's to someone who loves her, not someone who wants her for her claim, and that she's at the age when she discovering her sexuality and that she has been having erotic/romantic thoughts about someone else, not Tyrion, for quite a while now - and that she finds Tyrion utterly sexually unattractive.

Face it, there's absolutely nothing for Sansa to gain from her forced marriage to Tyrion and no reason for her to want to ever be his wife for real. The only thing it's useful to her is that she can't be forced by LF to marry anyone else - Tyrion is her ideal husband as long as he's far away on another continent and she has nothing to do with him. :lol:

I'm really baffled by the contrived arguments people come up with to justify the idea of Sansa ending up with Tyrion. They're not even arguing that they will fall in love with each other or anything (which would also be very unlikely). What's so fascinating and appealing about that idea that people obsess about it so much? Do you think forced marriages are awesome and that they should be upheld? Are you invested in the idea of Tywin Lannister as the world's greatest matchmaker and believe that what he puts together in order to steal the girl's families' claim, no man should pull asunder? Do you just like the visual in your head of Sansa and Tyrion having sex?

You probably think Jeyne Poole is going to go back to Ramsey and Asha will end up with Erik Ironmaker, after all, why would GRRM contrive a marriage to later throw it away...

A man has a right to anything he takes with the tip of a sword. She isn't going to Winterfell, why wouldn't Martin bring the wolves south? Tyrion is Tywins son. Coupling that bloodline wouldn't be a bad thing.

Lol, I usually don't say much about people and their ideas, but this is way to high minded to let slip by.

Sansa is weak. She doesn't know what she wants, and if she had a shred of intelligence, she would had rode Tyrion three times a day to exact the revenge she so dearly wants but is too weak to take.

It is obvious to me that you peruse Sansa chapters without fully understanding them. She is upset at life, but whenever her thoughts drift to Tyrion, she remembers him as "being kind to her." She writes this off as "all Lannisters are liars" until AFFC.

If you don't see the connection between the way men have treated her thus far versus how Tyrion has treated her, you're a fool. Martin is writing love there for Sansa. Or at least an agreement. She has yet to admit her and Tyrion's marriage hasn't been consummated and she hides behind her vows when she needs too. Sansa has had delusions of grandeur throughout most of the books, and look how those men, or families have scorned her. Tyrion is the only one to treat her with any sort of respect and decency, and she will remember that.

Someone should be telling you that "You obviously haven't read Sana's chapters closely."

I am not on the Tyrion/Sansa boat per say, but all the evidence hints at such a pairing, not against.

LOL what? The only thing that Sansa wants from her marriage to Tyrion is to get out of it.

The scene was clearly meant to remind the readers of Sansa's wedding night, but Mercy is not playing Sansa in the play, she is playing a minor character, a random victim raped by evil Tyrion, probably a maid or something like that, because she says "M'lord".

Actually

We all know after the Robert's rebellion what happened (Westeros required healing / bonding between families, the entire reason that Cersei was given to Robert)

I think it's fairly obvious that although there are many characters who could die, entire houses (excepting Frey) are not about to be wiped out (I still suspect even Roose turning on his basterd when chips are down)

Sansa & Tyrion will heal the rift between their families

• 1 month later...

I felt as though the references were more of "backshadowing" as you called it. We are watching mercy put on a play and learn that the play is actually the story we have been reading-

If it is foreshadowing anything, in my opinion, its that Arya has yet again-not fully sold her soul to the Many Faced God- upon seeing a man she doesn't know-she kills him in revenge the same way he killed Lommy-(as an aside- my favorite line from the show- What the F*** is a Lommy!?)

• 2 weeks later...

For the rest of their days, Tyrion and Sansa will use their sham of a marriage to justify their single lifestyles. Tyrion has already used it to get out of sex.

You want foreshadowing, dig this.

The smell of blood was heavy in her nostrils… or was that her nightmare, lingering? She had dreamed of wolves again, of running through some dark pine forest with a great pack at her heals, hard on the scent of prey.

Half-light filled the room, grey and gloomy. Shivering, she sat up in bed and ran a hand across her scalp. Stubble bristled against her palm. I need to shave before Izembaro sees. Mercy, I’m Mercy, and tonight I’ll be raped and murdered. Her true name was Mercedene, but Mercy was all anyone ever called her…

Except in dreams. She took a breath to quiet the howling in her heart, trying to remember more of what she’d dreamt, but most of it had gone already. There had been blood in it, though, and a full moon overhead, and a tree that watched her as she ran.

If I may grasp at straws, pine trees grow in northern latitudes. Even if that's nothing, I hope we can agree that Bran knows where Nymeria is. He knows who she is and what she and her pack can do for House Stark. If I'm even close, it sucks to be Roose or Ramsey about now.

in the play, tyrion rapes a girl, could this be a nod to the story about how he gave Tysha to his guards, and then raped her afterwards. i think some guards talk about that in cerseis chapter

Nah, she's probably meant to be Shae, given Shae's testimony at the trial about being a lower-class girl used and abused by Tyrion.

I like to think the blood part was Nymeria and her pack killing some Freys or Boltons. Tree, obv bran or BR watching. And I also like to think she's having warg dreams not just regular dreams. Maybe shell see something in her warg dreams that force her hack to Westeros?? Like lady stoneheart, Jon, or Sansa? Pretty sure she thinks their all dead and may jump at a chance to re unite, and go back to the place where she is more likely cross names of that list.

Lady Stork is almost too easy, as Sansa is a true lady, referred to as a little bird, AND is tall. Like a stork.

Bloody paste may be Bran, a broken left horn may refer to the false horn of joramun that was broken (after all it wasnt the "right" horn *nudge nudge*), the stranger may be the death that is to come from winter and its walkers

A crown, lost then pinned to a wig, what if Dany manages to conquer Westeros with no hair?!?!?!

For real though I think it has to do with Jon being KitN and him needing to play the part before he gets the crown. Or little finger, who always needs a patsy to rule behind, wig = patsy.

That cock though... For some reason it reminds me of Brown Ben Plumms story of his ancestor with a huge member, and the tip is "plum" colored. Now why his cock needs to stay in his pants? No idea. Lest it have greyscale.

Archived