Breaking down Aegon V's descendants, Summerhall & some questions

barristan-b

Precursor:

We all know he went by “Egg” in his youth. Was Summerhall maybe an unknown sacrifice that allowed him to bring magic/power back into the realm that could simply give way for dragons to hatch? Could his nickname have a few different meanings---such as him being the egg that broke to give way for a restored magical realm? Or maybe this moment sparked a slow descent into the next long winter ironically triggered by the failed fire magic and lured by the singers?

Aegon V came from a Dayne/Targaryen marriage, Martell grandmother, and married a Blackwood to produce his kids…so his entire descendants in essence have Martell, Blackwood and Dayne “blood” per se.

Also, the Targaryen’s are at this point more than a few generations detached from incest right until this same year where J/S birthed Aerys. Blood seems to be so important in the series but it's been intermingled and jumbled since 180 AL with Daeron II. So is it more important to look at the male lines or the female?

Basically, since Daeron the Good, there have been two Dornish families and the original rulers of the Riverlands pairing with power ever since the best Targ King IMO took power--Daeron II.

This is what I find interesting: Blackwood and Dayne are two of the rare pure First Men houses in the south and Martell has been all different since the Rhoynar river people bled into their line. Basically, these are the 3 most non-Andalian houses south of the neck. I find that just downright interesting. I won't forget there was Penrose for 11 years in queenship, but she didn't produce a King.

So the Blackwoods, Daynes & Martells have had pull right up until mid-Aerys II & Robert's Rebellion when you have new mostly Andal-based houses really asserting their power in KL. Now that the Lannisters are being lowered again, it makes perfect sense why Dorne is reasserting power in many different ways.

So let's break down the Targ line that went all crazy when Egg's kids married for love:

--

Aegon V’s Kids

Duncan the Small – Refused the House Baratheon arrangement; wed Jenny of the Oldstones. She's already mysterious as hell being from the ruined Oldstones (wtf?) and some saying she's a Singer. IMO, a good deal of mystery clouds their time together between 239 AL (Secret marriage) and 259 AL (Summerhall). Jenny brought a woods witch to KL to tell the royalty (Still during Egg's reign and before J was king for a few years) that the line would produce the PtwP. It's unclear whether this is directed towards J or Egg.

Rhaelle – Wed Ormund Baratheon after the Duncan pairing fell apart; their grandkids: Stannis, Robert & Renly. Stannis is in essence as close as Dany in relation to a female Targaryen descendant who I think are key, not the males Valyrian ancestors.

Jaehaerys & Shaera – J. Refused the Tully arrangement and wed his sister who dissed the Tyrells. This is the only incest-based marriage that came from Egg and he was said to have disdained over it.

Daeron – Dissed Redwyne, no kids, went all Renly and liked a certain Jeremy fella' until his early death (X)

--

First off, isn’t it a bit ironic how Egg’s wish was to stray away from the incest-based lines and create the future Westeros’ rulers with the Baratheons?..the eventual usurper House who still descended from him through Rhaelle? There would be no Stannis, Renly, or Robert if Duncan the Small wed the Baratheon girl so I really think Jenny of the Oldstones is key to all of this for having Duncan fall for her. Her being from a ruined city near the neck and looking like a singer is a huge question mark to certain motives.

We know the Woods Witch comes to KL summoned strangely by her apparent friend Jenny. She tells the court their line will produce the PtwP.

A few questions:

Was Jenny actually playing Duncan, Jaehaerys and Egg? Correct me if I'm wrong but it seems like both Egg and Jaehaerys take the bait. Aegon wants to bring back dragons and J .'s kid Aerys is having a kid with his sister wife who he probably wants to keep alive. So it makes me think Jenny was trying to play them all into falsely sacrificing themselves to give way for something bigger.

Jon can be R+L while still having Dayne blood to yield Dawn and become the new Sword of the Morning. Is he the ultimate mix of all of the really significant First Men families, not just Fire (Snow) and Ice (Targ)?

--

So the known & alive descendants from Egg's line (bastard or not, no crackpot):

Stannis

Dany

Gendry

Edric Storm (note: merged with Gendry in the show; should be 18 after the 5-yr gap)

Shireen

Shadow Assassin

Maybe alive & a descendent

Jon

Theorized Lineage:

Howland Reed through Jenny & Duncan Targaryen’s line (I don't know about that one but Summerhall just intrigues the hell out of me)

Meera--another Reed that has been brought up descending from the line.

Alive Aegon VI--I'm undecided here

Dead notables:

All of Egg's kids

Rhaegar

Aegon VI (Maybe)

Rhaenys

Renly

Robert

--

This may seem convoluted but I just wanted to throw this out there because it lays out Egg's descendants, thinks about what he really meant to this whole story, questions certain people's motives at Summerhall, and if the PtwP prophecy was true, who it could be.

I didn't really want to throw a defnitive theory out there but at least point towards areas I feel are important to the novels, not so much the show because it puts no emphasis on sword origins, minor Houses, and a few of Egg's descendants.

And it's not "King's Blood" or Targ blood that Mel wants...it's Egg's descendants IMO and that's from aSoS. What Egg did was make his bloodline capable of awakening dragons. He was the egg that cracked to make this all possible and really didn't die for no reason and a failed hatch attempt.

And it's not "King's Blood" or Targ blood that Mel wants...it's Egg's descendants IMO and that's from aSoS. What Egg did was make his bloodline capable of awakening dragons. He was the egg that cracked to make this all possible and really didn't die for no reason and a failed hatch attempt.

But if that were true then why did Aerys II's attempts fail? He just wasn't willing to walk into the fire like Daenerys did?

Good post OP, but people are getting weary of rehashing the same stuff over and again with little to no new info. That's why the lack of interest, I guess... maybe the Christmas holiday?

Anyway, I have nothing to really add as anything at this point would merely be speculation and there's been plenty of that on this subject.

It's my most eagerly anticipated "non-main series" mystery though.

Archived