Who are Jon Snow's parents?

Bendubz

There are multiple widely known theories about this. There is R+L=J, B+A=J, and the belief that he could really be Ned's bastard. I don't buy any of these. I mean sure, Jon looks like Ned and Lyanna, but I think we're forgetting somebody here. Someone who is sworn to not take women and thus cannot claim Jon as his son. Yes I am suggesting Jon is in fact Benjen's bastard.

It makes sense. Benjen cannot ever legitimise his son, or he will be found guilty of breaking his oath.Of all of Ned's children, it is Jon that Benjen relates to the most. And yet Benjen makes it clear he doesn't think Jon should join the Night Watch. And it can't be a coincidence that he goes missing just weeks are Jon goes to the wall

Benjan didn't desert, if that is what you're implying. As for Jon being his bastard, it would not have violated his oath as Jon would have to have been conceived before Benjan took his oath.

Arguably, Jon was born before Brnjen became brother of Night watch. So, nope.

We can do better than "arguably".

This one is probably trivial, but when did Benjen join the Watch? Right after the war against the Targaryens, more or less?

Pretty much, yes. Probably around about the time Ned returned from the south and Catelyn and Robb and Jon took up residence.

source

Very unlikely that Benjen is Jon's father. Jon was conceived during the Robert Rebellion and born in the final of the rebellion. Benjen was in Winterfell during the war, he doesn't went down the Neck. And B+L=J even more, incest happens with the Targaryens (tradition) and the Lannisters (dysfunctional family). The Starks are neither.

Who is the mother supposed to be in the Benjen scenario? And what's Ned's motivation for lying about it?

Yeah I didn't really think the theory through enough, though if it didn't have the now apparent timeline flaw it would have been either a resident of moletown or a wildling

Archived