Justify Rhaegar's reasons for eloping (or kidnapping) Lyanna?

Daedriic

We still haven't seen the full story but I'd like your speculations for it anyway

Rhaegar strolling around with his harp and being all like 'dudes I totally need some ice to my fire and its all according to the *dun dun dunnn* prophecy... And stuff. Yeah laters!'

Yeah, he must have had a lot more than a prophecy to go on to make him do what he did

Copied from the other thread:

I think Lyanna went directly to Rhaegar to get the betrothal to Robert undone and he promised to help her, but along the way they fell in love. What attracted them to each other was their need for a love connection. Rhaegar had a wife he was "fond" of but not like true love, and Lyanna did not want to be forced to Robert for obvious reasons. What they found in each other was possibly a reaction to the marriages they did not want and the need for an escape.

I don't think that's necessarily "justifying" it in that it doesn't make them look as good as "prophecy baby," but as a wise man said, love is the death of duty.

Besides the obvious one (they fell in love and eloped), there are two speculations I find rather interesting:

1) Lyanna sought Rhaegar so he could undo her betrothal to Robert, which she was unhappy with

2) Aerys knew or suspected Lyanna of being KOTL. Knowing his father's madness, Rhaegar thought Lyanna's life was in danger and helped her escape.

1. Rhaegar is not King. Nor does he have the kings favor. So he could not undo any betrothal. So to think she would seek him out about a year after Harrenhal to fix her problems is nonsensical.

2. Aerys was bat shit crazy. Yet didn't know Lyanna was the Mystery Knight. If that was the case though and he wanted to keep her safe. Why would Rhaegar not take her to Riverrun, Winterfell or the Vale?

Rhaegar was crazy like his family, but in his on way. Prophecy, depression, and who knows what else blinded him to the bigger picture. People say he would have been a great king. Yet his action and apparent lack of knowledge of how the game is played proves otherwise.

1. Rhaegar is not King. Nor does he have the kings favor. So he could not undo any betrothal. So to think she would seek him out about a year after Harrenhal to fix her problems is nonsensical.

2. Aerys was bat shit crazy. Yet didn't know Lyanna was the Mystery Knight. If that was the case though and he wanted to keep her safe. Why would Rhaegar not take her to Riverrun, Winterfell or the Vale?

Rhaegar was crazy like his family, but in his on way. Prophecy, depression, and who knows what else blinded him to the bigger picture. People say he would have been a great king. Yet his action and apparent lack of knowledge of how the game is played proves otherwise.

This. Lyanna was also kind of a hypocrite if she went with Rhaegar willingly.

That's not an obstacle. Rhaegar is still Crown Prince and has an influence at court. Plus, Lyanna could both be unaware of the specifics of the Aerys/Rhaegar dynamic, or she could have been aware and just needed some sort of support. I didn't suggest that Rhaegar could wave a wand and poof, the marriage is done. I said Lyanna sought his help. That's not out of the question, and if their romance really did blossom from the KotLT incident, he would be willing to help even if he can't help as effectively as you think I suggested (which I didn't.)

Easily. The North didn't need an alliance with the Stormlands, but the realm needed TPTWP. Therefore, both love and duty supported running away.

As far the war, Aerys was a lunatic who was completely unchecked after Tywin resigned. If Rhaegar and Lyanna had never existed, Aerys would have still managed to provoke a rebellion soon enough.

The only reason Rhaegar is responsible for the rebellion is that he didn't remove his dad quick enough.

So he can't tell lord stark one of the top ten most powerful people who his daughter can marry well he can then lord stark tell him to piss off.

Can you not read? I said "I think Lyanna went directly to Rhaegar to get the betrothal to Robert undone and he promised to help her." That doesn't mean I think Rhaegar had the ultimate power to help her, it just means that Lyanna thought he could help. And again, Crown Prince. Well loved. He is not a powerless man, and it's not a bad assumption to think that he could have helped.

I also have proposed the idea that Rhaegar was in contact with Rickard about deposing Aerys as the world book hints at, so he could have been a part of it too. Notice how Brandon is the one who called for Rhaegar, not Rickard. Rickard only went there for his son, not to rescue Lyanna.

Archived