Something I noticed in the world book

I was taking a look at the timeline of kings that ruled the seven kingdoms, the reigns of each king is color coordinated going from red to black to red and so forth. I noticed that when red landed on a king who was known to be a horrible king the red would fade to black, at least I thought it was for horrible kings, until I noticed that Aegon I also fades to black. If he is counted amongst the best kings in westeros why is he fading to black along with Aegon IV and Aerys II (two kings that would make my top two list of the worst). Is there something about Aegons reign that we don't know or is it just a coincidence ?

I thought maybe it was an Easter Egg? Maybe a hint that there are things about Aegon I that haven't been revealed to us that would change our opinions about him.

Seems like it marks the conception of rebellions.

Aegon's would refer to the the several minor rebellions right after Aegon I died (Harren the Red, Vale, Iron Islands, beginnings of faith militant).

Aegon IV would be Blackfyres of course.

Aerys II would be Robert's.

First question is why not Viserys I for the DotD? Likely answer is that it was Targ v Targ rather than X v Targ.

Maegor wasn't actually mad, he was just an asshole.

I think there was a degree of paranoid delusion in there. There's also a sense of "just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you", and his default response was violence.

I think he was relatively stable, if more ruthless and harsh than would be ideal, during Aenys's reign and at the start of his own, but then he took a serious crack on the head during the Trial of Seven that put him in a coma and when he came back from that he seemed to have gone full lunatic. Then when you add the mutated babies and the series of rebellions and the death of his mother who seems to have been the only person to show him any real affection... it's not that surprising that by the end he was as mad as a box of frogs.

Maybe this is just my book but the timeline also says that baelor came before daeron.

If it did mark rebellions then Daeron's should have went black.

Maybe it just means something exceptionally important happened during their reign that will rub of on current plots.

Aegon the conqueror- established Targaryen rule by conquering westeros (What everyone is fighting over)

Aegon the unworthy- started off blackfyre line and rebellion. (Young griff)

Aerys, the mad king- triggered ASOIAF

Now, that I think about it, only a handfull of Targaryen Kings didn't have to deal with wars, rebellions and arm conflicts. (Please, feel free to add any conflict I have ommited)

Aegon I "The Conqueror" - Pretty obvious

Aenys I -

Maegor I "The Cruel" - Faith Militant

Jaehaerys I "The Councilator" -

Viserys I

Aegon III "The Older" - Dance of the Dragons (you could count Rhaenyra also in here)

Aegon III "Dragonsbane" - The Hour of the Wolf

Daeron I "The Young Dragon" - Conquest of Dorne

Baelor I "The Blessed" -

Viserys II -

Aegon IV "The Unworthy" -

Daeron II "The Good" - First Blackfyre Rebellion

Aerys II - Second and Third Blackfyre Rebellion

Maekar I "Kinslayer" -

Aegon V "The Unlikely" - Fourth Blackfyre Rebellion, Storm King

Jaehaerys II - War of Ninepenny Kings

Aerys II "The Mad King" - The Defiance of Duskensdale and Robert's Rebellion

And we could add the Baratheon's reigns:

Robert I - Balon Greyjoy Rebellion

Joffrey I - War of the Five Kings

Tommen I - Golden Company at the Stormlands, Ironborn at the Reach and Stannis Baratheon at the North

Now, that I think about it, only a handfull of Targaryen Kings didn't have to deal with wars, rebellions and arm conflicts. (Please, feel free to add any conflict I have ommited)

Aenys I -

Viserys I

Aegon III "The Older" - Dance of the Dragons (you could count Rhaenyra also in here)

Baelor I "The Blessed" -

Viserys II -

Maekar I "Kinslayer" -

Tommen I - Golden Company at the Stormlands, Ironborn at the Reach and Stannis Baratheon at the North

The point is who caused the rebellions. You list Blackfyre conflicts for 4 different kings but all can be blamed on Aegon IV.

The Conquest and the Conquest of Dorne are also started by the Targs, not rebellions against their rule.

Aenys I -

Viserys I

Baelor I "The Blessed" -

Viserys II -

Maekar I "Kinslayer" -

Baelor also had to deal with a hostile Dorne, although he didn't war against them directly.

Maekar had to fight at least one Blackfyre, iirc, and died fighting a rebel lord.

Aenys had a couple of rebellions to deal with, including one in the Vale, and also faced the beginnings of the Faith Militant problems.

I'm not sure the Hour of the Wolf really counts as a war, though.

Baelor also had to deal with a hostile Dorne, although he didn't war against them directly.

Maekar had to fight at least one Blackfyre, iirc, and died fighting a rebel lord.

Aenys had a couple of rebellions to deal with, including one in the Vale, and also faced the beginnings of the Faith Militant problems.

I'm not sure the Hour of the Wolf really counts as a war, though.

I was just listing open conflict during their reigns. I forgot about the rebellion in which Maekar died, but he didn't face a Balckfyre Rebellion during his reign.

Althought is very logical, I didn't recall any big conflict that Aenys had to deal with it, but I'm probably missing something.

The Hour of the Wolf is not a conflict, granted, but it a was brieff violent event that amog the many high Lords. And is one of the main reason why Southrons dislike and mistrust the Starks.

Archived