Rest of the world

I can't be the only person who is outrageously interested in the unseen portions of the world not detailed in the LOIAF map. I also doubt I'm the only person who went about drawing my own expanded map. It's crude and done totally on paint so.... here you go:

http://picpaste.com/THE_World-rZ9WGPzO.jpg

Someone else out there must've drawn their own too, so if you have please share.

Cool. I wonder about the rest of the world too (I guess we all do...) I think there is a continent over the Sunset Sea, which only makes the world bigger...even then your map.

But Zamoyos (that river in Sothoryos) is not running that long, we've seen in TWOIAF that it's source is a big lake in the middle. We also see eastern and western coasts of Sothoryos, even though it's still a small piece of it. You can see it here.

Thanks for sharing. I like it. Question- Did you leave off a glacial Southern Polar Region on purpose? Is your thought that because the seasons are out of whack, there wouldn't be a frozen region in the south?

The first time I drew a full world map I did include a southern pole. I'm not really sure what I was thinking when I didn't put it in this one. There probably should be one. Here is the first (unfinished) one:

http://picpaste.com/pics/world-CrUpo28u.1434735174.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Here's my attempt. This one is based on the east-west axis being roughly as the same diameter as Earth.

Incidentally, we can now extend the world map further north and south thanks to the World of Ice and Fire map. Here's a map that incorporates those extensions.

What we see is just a part of the world. Essos is even bigger than that, so is Sothoryos. A Valyrian Dragonrider (forgot her name now), flew over Sothoryos for a long time and didn't manage to reach the end of it, she said Sothoryos is as endless as Essos. We also have to remember there is a south hemisphere, what we see is a part of the north hemisphere.

No, GRRM has suggested there may be lands west of the Sunset Sea, not whether there's other continents there or not. It's hinted in AFFC that the Farwynds have found big islands out there, but no more than that is confirmed.

A long time ago Martin said he envisaged his planet as being bigger than Earth, but he's back off quite a bit from that recently. After ADWD came out he in fact seemed to be saying that his world was a sort-of alternate reality version of Earth, with different landmasses and of course the magical seasons, but otherwise the same, which would indicate it's the same size. Certainly the climactic variation suggests that the world is a similar size to ours.

Archived