The Stag and the Dragon

sticks

Hullo, hullo! Been a while. I should take a hint from GRRM and not announce "many new illustrations are forthcoming," as that's a harbinger of things that just end up being delays. That being said, here's a new drawing, hope you like it.

You can see these individually or look at the main page. Read through the various notes for updates and the commentary track.

The Music of Dragons

Winter is Coming

Ours is the Fury (added: 8/13/2007)

Promise Me (added: 8/20/2007)

Jon & Ghost (added: 8/29/2007)

Sam the Slayer (added: 9/6/2007)

The Men of the Night's Watch (added: 9/15/2007)

The Fall of Harrenhall (added: 12/15/2007)

"Arya I" (unfinished) (added: 1/17/2008)

Waiting for the True Dragon (added: 3/16/2008)

The Stag and the Dragon (added: 8/20/2010)

I'll update this thread instead of adding new ones. Hope you like them.

As always---leave a note.

But wasn't that fight on horseback?

Quite possibly, but I've noticed that all of the illustrations of this scene that I've seen but two depict the fight as on foot.

Nice work, by the way.

I just had a look at some of your other pictures, sticks, and they're excellent. The style is completely different from all of the other Song artists I've heard of.

Nice portrayal of Robert, also :)

I noticed that you seem to depict Robert as a tyrant.

But one thing. Sorry for the... nitpicking... but hadn't Rhaegar injured Robert, and then Robert put the warhammer through his chest?

Though it's vague enough to play with.

I loved the picture, but for some constructive critisism that many people seem to be shy of,

If Robert's head was symbolism as I first believed, then it's very nice, though if it is like that based on the helmet... I understood that it was a bit more.... grandeur.

Don't get me wrong in any case. I enjoyed it.

I dunno, hard to plant a warhammer into somebody's chest while looking like spongebob squarepants ;)

Robert was the best war leader and a fierce fighter, and as such must have looked terrifying in battle. I think it's spot on. At least the Dragon was killed by someone worthy.

edited to transform this post into english

I dunno, hard to plant a warhammer into somebody's chest while looking like spongebob squarepants

We don't live in a world of extreme's. You don't have to look like a distorted demon (no reference to the picture) to be worthy of fear. It's not hard for somebody looking like a giant, fierce, stag leader who commanded beauty and respect, to plant a warhammer into the chest of his enemy.

Are you saying Jaime would have lacked the courage and ferociousness to place a sword through a man's heart for looking magnificent?

Robert was the best war leader and a fierce fighter, and as such must have looked terrifying in battle.

His bloody rage alone attributed to him being terrifying.

Hi RhaegarTargaryen,

These are actually the comments that I love the most, and ones I was pretty sure people would pick up on.

I noticed that you seem to depict Robert as a tyrant.

This is true--I was aiming for "lithe and terrifying road-rage Robert" and not "righteous glory" Robert. I wanted him totally pissed off and giving no quarter to someone already beaten on his knees with a sledgehammer.

But one thing. Sorry for the... nitpicking... but hadn't Rhaegar injured Robert, and then Robert put the warhammer through his chest?

Though it's vague enough to play with.

I dunno, I only know that Robert took a deep wound at the Battle which kept him from going back to the Red Keep. (One of the early Ned chapters.) How and when he actually got the wound I hadn't paid much attention to.

I loved the picture, but for some constructive critisism that many people seem to be shy of,

If Robert's head was symbolism as I first believed, then it's very nice, though if it is like that based on the helmet... I understood that it was a bit more.... grandeur.

Don't get me wrong in any case. I enjoyed it.

There are a couple reasons why the helm is the way it is. The first is that I've seen other depictions that use true stag horns, which by most accounts are curved and long. I felt they would be unwieldy in combat and would be a liability unless they were brittle. I decided to go with something fun to draw and try to make him appear to move faster and more menacingly.

You mention symbolism, which is in part what started the piece. It's inspired by hallmarks of the two houses: a black stag on a field of gold, and blood and fire.

Archived