Favorite quotes of all time

Darkstar8

[quote name='Torcen' post='1641937' date='Jan 8 2009, 15.50']Anything involving Shagga usually makes me chuckle

I don't have books in front of me. But when Tywin first meets the mountain clans with Tyrion and asks them what brings them down from the mountains.. Shagga responds "horses"

Just thinking that Shagga was actually answering the question and not trying to be funny makes me laugh.[/quote]

Glaring, Shagga let go his grip on the reins. "This is the horse of Shagga son of Dolf," he roared at the stableboy.

By no means is it a favorite quote, but there was one retelling in the books that I thought really painted a perfect picture of what a certain character was like... and the quote that ended that story was as follows:

"when it’s all done, Ser tells the old man that he wants his change. The girl wasn’t worth a silver, he says . . . and damned if that old man didn’t fetch a fistful of coppers, beg m’lord’s pardon, and thank him for the custom!"

Many great quotes here already... here is another:

"Jaime, sweetling, I have known you since were a babe at Joanna's breast. You smile like Gerion and fight like Tyg, and there's some of Kevan in you, else you would not wear that cloak...but Tyrion is Tywin's son, not you. I said so once to your father's face, and he would not speak to me for half a year. Men are such thundering great fools. Even the ones who come along once in a thousand years."

"Permit me to share a bit of womanly wisdom with you on this very special day. Love is poison. A sweet poison, yes, but it will kill you all the same" - Cersei Lannister, AGoT

"Lord Bolton is very fond of leeches," Qyburn said primly.
"Yes," said Jaime. "He would be." - ASoS

Aemon - "Jon, did you ever wonder why the men of the Night's Watch take no wives and father no children?"

Jon - "No."

Aemon - "So they will not love, for love is the bane of honor, the death of duty. Tell me, Jon, if the day should ever come when your lord father must needs choose between honor on the one hand and those he loves on the other, what would he do?"

Jon - "He would do whatever was right. No matter what."

Aemon - "Then Lord Eddard is a man in ten thousand. Most of us are not so strong. What is honor compared to a woman's love? What is duty against the feel of a newborn son in your arms . . . or the memory of a brother's smile? Wind and words. Wind and words. We are only human, and the gods have fashioned us for love. That is our great glory, and our great tragedy."

- A Game of Thrones

[quote name='Torcen' post='1641937' date='Jan 8 2009, 12.50']I don't have books in front of me. But when Tywin first meets the mountain clans with Tyrion and asks them what brings them down from the mountains.. Shagga responds "horses"[/quote]
This would have been mine.

I'll have to come up with another now.

It seems "A clash of kings" is the least appreciated book for many readers but I found many good things in it. Just a few quotes:

"I hope he doesn't kill anyone important" Tyrion talking about Timett.

The Old Bear to Samwell Tarly:"When I was a lad half your age , my lady mother told me that if I stood about with my mouth open, a weasel was like to mistake it for his lair and run down my throat. If you have something to say, say it. Otherwise beware of weasels."

"Dwarf? You should have stopped at Imp. I am Tyrion of House Lannister, and someday, if you have the sense the gods gave a sea slug, you will drop on your knees in thank that it was me you had to deal with, and not my father." Tyrion to Janos Slynt.

Tyrion:"There's one, Deem. Tell the captain it would not be taken amiss if that one should happen to be swept overboard before they reach Eastwatch" -> Jacely Bywater:"I'm told those northern waters are very stormy, my lord"

"How do you know which ones to hire?"->"I look them over. I question them, to learn where they've fought and how well they lie. And then I give them a chance to kill me, while I do the same for them."->"Have you killed any?"->"No one we could have used."->"And if one of them kills you?"->"He'll be one you'll want to hire." Tyrion/Bronn talking about sellswords.

"Well, get on with it. I did not make you a knight so you could learn to mouth empty courtesies. I have my lords for that. Say what you would say Davos." Stannis to Davos.

"A man agrees with god as a raindrop with the storm" Aeron to Theon

"Waiting my pleasure. I like the ring of that, Bronn. You almost sound a proper courtier. Next you'll be kneeling."->"Fuck you, dwarf."->"That's Shae's task."

"Send her my regrets."->"No taste for stuffed goose?"->"Perhaps you should eat the goose and marry the maid. Or better still, send Shagga."->"Shagga's more like to eat the maid and marry the goose. Anyway, Lollys outweighs him." Tyrion/Bronn when Lady Tanda invites Tyrion and wants him to marry Lollys.

"Last night a baker was roasted in his own oven. The mob claimed he charged too much for bread."->"Did he?"->"He's not apt to deny it."->"They didn't eat him, did they?"->"Not that I've heard."->"Next time they will." Tyrion/Bronn

"Paint stripes on a toad, he does not become a tiger." Sandor to Sansa talking about Ser Boros Blount

"What if the wolves come?"->"Yield" Lommy/Arya

"Myrcella is a princess. Some would say this is what she was born for. Or did you plan to marry her to Tommen?" Tyrion to Cersei when she does not want him to send Myrcella to Dorne.

"Gentler than the Lannisters is drier than the sea" Lady Oakheart

"Careful now, Shagga, you've cut him."->"Dolf fathered warriors, not barbers." When Tyrion makes Shagga shave Pycelle.

When Tyrion wakes Pod and asks him to saddle two horses and he repeats "Horses." Tyrion says:"Those big brown animals that love apples, I'm sure you've seen them. Four legs and a tail."

"My gentle sister seems to have mistaken me for Ned Stark."->"I hear he was taller."->"Not after Joff took off his head."Tyrion/Bronn.

"I have it in me to be a great king, strong yet generous, clever, just, diligent, loyal to my friends and terrible to my enemies, yet capable of forgiveness, patient-"->"-humble?"->"You must allowe a king some flaws, my lady" Renly/Catelyn

Tyrion:"The girl's to be your queen. Have you no regard for her honor?"
Joffrey:"I'm punishing her"
Tyrion:"For what crime? She did not fight her brother's battle."
Joffrey:"She has the blood of the wolf."
Tyrion:"And you have the wits of a goose."
Joffrey:"You can't talk to me that way. The king can do as he likes."
Tyrion:"Aerys Targaryen did as he liked. Has your mother ever told you what happened to him?"
Ser Boros Blount:"No man threatens His Grace in presence of the Kingsguard."
Tyrion:"I am not threatening the king, ser, I am instructing my nephew. Bronn, Timett, the next time Ser Boros opens his mouth, kill him. Now that was a threat, ser. See the difference?"
Ser Boros Blount:"The queen will hear of this!"
Tyrion:"No doubt she will. And why wait? Joffrey, shall we send for your mother?"

"The living should smile, for the dead cannot." "Some men are born to be killed" Dagmer Cleftjaw to Theon.

"Barefoot surefoot lightfoot, I am the ghost in Harrenhal." Arya

"And no more rapes! Keep your men in line, damn it."->"They're sellswords, not septons. Next you'll be telling me you want them sober." Tyrion/Bronn

"Ser Osmund is as loyal as he is brave." Cersei :rofl:

i'm not sure if this is a 100% correct quote, but it goes something like:
"the wine is spilt, the song is sung, the girl is pregnant" by tyrion of course...

i can't remember when he says it, but i'm fairly certain it is him...

I like this thread. GRRM writes brilliant dialogue all the time...

What's that quote, I forget who said it, but went something like:
"Eddard Stark was noble. Eddard Stark was honorable. And Eddard Stark died."

and there is another one, that sounded something like:
"will you serve your guests ale, or serve them bale?"

Ned - "I looked for you on the Trident."

Gerold Hightower - "We were not there."

Oswell Whent - "Woe to the Usurper if we had been."

Ned - "When King's Landing fell, Ser Jaime slew your king with a golden sword, and I wondered where you were."

Gerold Hightower - "Far away, or Aerys would yet sit the Iron Throne, and our false brother would burn in seven hells."

Ned - "I came down on Storm's End to lift the siege, and the Lords Tyrell and Redwyne dipped their banners, and all their knights bent the knee to pledge us fealty. I was certain you would be among them."

Arthur Dayne - "Our knees do not bend easily."

Ned - "Ser Willem Darry is fled to Dragonstone, with your queen and Prince Viserys. I thought you might have sailed with him."

Oswell Whent - "Ser Willem is a good man and true."

Gerold Hightower - "But not of the Kingsguard. The Kingsguard does not flee."

Arthur Dayne - "Then or now."

Gerold Hightower - "We swore a vow."

Arthur Dayne - "And now it begins."

Ned - "No. Now it ends."

- A Game of Thrones

[quote name='Trystane Targaryen' post='1644318' date='Jan 11 2009, 06.14']Ned - "I looked for you on the Trident."

Gerold Hightower - "We were not there."

Oswell Whent - "Woe to the Usurper if we had been."

Ned - "When King's Landing fell, Ser Jaime slew your king with a golden sword, and I wondered where you were."

Gerold Hightower - "Far away, or Aerys would yet sit the Iron Throne, and our false brother would burn in seven hells."

Ned - "I came down on Storm's End to lift the siege, and the Lords Tyrell and Redwyne dipped their banners, and all their knights bent the knee to pledge us fealty. I was certain you would be among them."

Arthur Dayne - "Our knees do not bend easily."

Ned - "Ser Willem Darry is fled to Dragonstone, with your queen and Prince Viserys. I thought you might have sailed with him."

Oswell Whent - "Ser Willem is a good man and true."

Gerold Hightower - "But not of the Kingsguard. The Kingsguard does not flee."

Arthur Dayne - "Then or now."

Gerold Hightower - "We swore a vow."

Arthur Dayne - "And now it begins."

Ned - "No. Now it ends."

- A Game of Thrones[/quote]
by far the most impressive precombat dialogue...

EDIT:
and by far the most impressive kingsguard

Just read through some of the chapters from AFFC:

Alayne's chapter, with the Lords Declarant:
"Each of us has a thousand troops at the foot of this mountain, Littlefinger"- Symond Templeton
"What a splendid place for them"- Littlefinger
(later in the same chapter)
"Put up your steel, Ser! Are you a Corbray, or a Frey? We are guests here"

I think they are both insanely well written, and demonstrates the guile of Littlefinger and the total bastard-ness that the Freys presented at the Red Wedding. Great stuff.

Archived