August 2009

delete this account pls

Shadows of the Apt is apparently a 10 book series. Color me shocked. The world idea was okay, but 10 books? That's a lot...

Do you have a link for this being said? I looked briefly through the SotA website but couldn't see any mention of the series length, could easily have missed something, though.

I'm unconvinced 10 books is a good idea, I like the series but 10 books seems excessive considering the amount of plot that has been introduced so far - none of it should really take more than 2 or 3 books more to resolve so it will either end up being very dragged-out or increasing numbers of subplots being introduced.

Finished House of Leaves. Trying to decide whether or not it was pointless. One of the first books where I ended up doing a lot of skimming just to get through. I mean, I even read The Brothers Karamazov without skimming in much less time.

Cool. I've become quite the Huston fanboy, so thats a big compliment in my mind. Unless Ben trashes them, I'll make an order from the Book Depository once I'm through my current pile.

If you want something that reads like the Hank Thompson trilogy try Don Winslow's The Death and Life of Bobby Z or Beat the Reaper by Josh Bazell.

The Robber Bride by Margaret Atwood.

So, do you remember back in the last century when they used to make these movies about the relationships among middle-aged women, how they were dealing with men and children and careers, and often the other women in their lives. Not Sex in the City type stuff, these were Better Midler and Diane Keaton and Kathy Bates and Susan Sarandon. Like Steel Magnolias or Waiting to Exhale or The First Wives Club. Or Outrageous Fortune for something a little bit more adventurous. Whatever happened to chick flicks? I suppose they probably still make them, but how come I no longer want to see them.

But I digress. The Robber Bride was published in 1993. It's a good thematic companion piece to Cat's Eye. It's also totally kick ass.

Do you have a link for this being said? I looked briefly through the SotA website but couldn't see any mention of the series length, could easily have missed something, though.

I'm unconvinced 10 books is a good idea, I like the series but 10 books seems excessive considering the amount of plot that has been introduced so far - none of it should really take more than 2 or 3 books more to resolve so it will either end up being very dragged-out or increasing numbers of subplots being introduced.

http://fantasybookcritic.blogspot.com/2009...chaikovsky.html

6. I know that at least 3 more books are scheduled at six months intervals. Is that all for now or more is planned?

Adrian: Ideally, if I get all I want out of the series, the current large plot arc will run to 10 books, with spare plot left over for further forays as the opportunity arises.

So actually, maybe more than 10...

Right now I'm reading Nélida Piñon's Voices of the Desert, originally published in Portuguese in 2004 but newly translated into English. Odd but good so far, a strange mix of clinical and erotic, and also of present and past tenses. From the jacket:

From one of Brazil’s most beloved writers, a magical tale of lust, power, betrayal, and forgiveness set in the royal court of thirteenth-century Baghdad: a sumptuous retelling of the legend of Scheherazade that illuminates her character as never before. In exquisite prose, Nélida Piñon transports us from the Caliph’s private sanctum to the crowded streets of the forbidden marketplace, to the high seas of imagination, and to Scheherazade’s innermost life, as she weaves her tales night after night.

Here, for the first time, is the story of One Thousand and One Nights told from Scheherazade’s perspective, giving us the full breadth and depth of her longings and desires, her jealousies and resentments. Voices of the Desert is the ancient story reinvented—as a woman’s story, an erotic allegory, a haunting meditation on the power of storytelling.

Just finished "The Epic of Gilgamesh", "The Hunchback of Notre Dame" by Victor Hugo and "The Lies of Locke Lamora" by Scott Lynch.

Now I'm reading "The Mabinogion" (a cycle of Welsh legends that the Prydain Chronicles by Lloyd Alexander are based on), "Hidden Warrior" by Lynn Flewelling, and "Ivanhoe" by Sir Walter Scott.

Next up:

"To Green Angel Tower" Part 1 by Tad Williams

"The Idiot" by Fyodor Dostoevsky

(I'm really excited for both of these books)

Interesting what you are going to say about the ending of PSS.

I'll let you know when I get there. I really love it so far, I'm up to when the Mayor goes to visit the Hellkin Ambassador and is given a resounding NO.

Unfortunately I've been too busy to read as much as I'd like so it's taking a long time to finish.

Interesting what you are going to say about the ending of PSS.

I'll let you know when I get there. I really love it so far, I'm up to when the Mayor goes to visit the Hellkin Ambassador and is given a resounding NO.

Unfortunately I've been too busy to read as much as I'd like so it's taking a long time to finish.

Archived