Books you enjoy that others dislike

Peter Irving

I enjoyed the Sword of Truth books when I first read them, although I had to put them all down at least once during reading. I was probably... oh... 14, 15 or so when I read them. I stopped at book 8, I think, but I feel the proper Lemming shame at this sin.

I am an unashamed fan of Modesitt's Recluse books though. I know they're the same contrived plot over and over, but it's just so damn easy to read and entertaining. When I'm back at my parents' house, if I'm bored during the afternoon I'll give one a quick read to pass the time. Despite his unoriginality concerning plot, I think they're great.

I also liked Farland's Runelords books... at least, the first three. The first one was great, the second was better, and then the third... well, anytime you start to throw around armies whose numbers reach into the millions, you kinda lose me. Still, the first three are pretty entertaining. The fourth one sucked, didn't read the newer ones.

listen--the first goodkind turds of worth book is not too bad, actually. first half is standard hackneyed craptacular fantasoid BS; halfway in, the main quest to achieve the numinous object is accomplished, the villain apparently bested, so WTF now? bam! out of nowhere, the bearer of the turds of worth is kidnapped by sadomasochistic leather-clad vixens and abused with urushiol-coated dildoes for the rest of the book, before confronting darth vader and being rescued by his virgin lover. kick ass, i say.

Archived