Would Stannis bend the knee to Daenerys or Aegon?

Gingerly Grumkin

I'll do you one better.

If the Iron Throne can't pass to a woman unless all male claimants are dead, Stannis' claim is better than Dany's anyway, even if you accept Targaryen legitimacy at this point, which I don't.

But yeah, assuming she wins by right of conquest and ignores the hyper-Salic Law, Stannis or the Martells would be the only feasible heirs if she dies childless.

Gods damn it. I just realized I support Stannis.

I guess I better go print out some propaganda and make some pennants for my wall.

• 2 months later...

I figured the legalistic, just, honorable Stannis could be inclined to see the legitimacy of Daenerys' claim. That would apply to Aegon VI too, but Stannis might doubt that the boy is really Aegon. I do believe in R+L=J, but that seems like a moot point once Jon joiend the Night's Watch. After all, Jon already turned down Stannis' offer to be legitimized and installed as Lord Of Winterfell.

Melisandre seems to stick to a male-specific reading of the Azor Ahai prophecy. Even sticking to Stannis, she could see Daenerys and the dragons as allies in that fight.

Davos' advice seems like it would be a pragmatic assessment of whether Stannis could take them in a fight, so that would depend on the situation.

Stannis sees kingship as a duty and right rather than something he's enthusiastic about, unlike his brothers. Daenerys woulkd be someone worthy of taking that responsibility off his back. That could evne help him focus on his greater duty as Azor Ahai.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

I was under the impression that a daughter would come before a male cousin though. Like, for the Baratheon dynasty: assuming that Cersei's kids are legitimate and assuming that Stannis or Renly had a son, and then both Joffrey and Tommen died, wouldn't Stannis or Renly's hypothetical son still be after Myrcella in the line?

Unfortunately. after the Dance and until the Robellion it was true. So rather than getting confirmed badass Daena "I ain't havin' none of your shit" the Defiant as a Queen, neatly succeeded by Daemon Blackfyre, they got Viserys and Aegon the Unworthy and all those Blackfyre rebellions. She probably would've married Aegon the Unworthy, leaving Naerys to marry the Dragonknight and the whole realm woulda been much happier.

Archived