Would Stannis bend the knee to Daenerys or Aegon?

Gingerly Grumkin

1) I don't think he's going to save the realm by himself - if he's involved at all (and frankly I think his pride might leave him open to being turned against the realm) and surives he isn't going to be seen as the leader who did it. It is going to be the ones with the magic weapons - just the way of it. If saving the realm comes down to needing real magical power to end the threat of the others, at present Stannis is sorely lacking that. His "magic" sword is a fake and he hasn't demonstrated any independant magical skills like the Stark kids. Until he gets a magical weapon of his own, even if he does do a lot, he won't be seen as a savior.

2) I think his personality flaws are the kind that would make people forget quickly any sacrifices he might have made to save the realm within a few years of his actual rule. Hard, unforgiving, and capable of holding grudges for decades is not a man who inspires long term loyalty in many. If Stannis is king I could easily see the realm at war again in a few years.

Stannis turn against the realm? Really?

This of course will depend on what happens in general if, and I do mean "IF" Dany shows up with her dragons seemingly under her control and not just unleashed and out of control. The field of fire teaches lessons as to what happened the last time there was an alliance against dragons. If Dany, mounted on top of Drogon was looking down on Stannis and gives the choice, bend or die, he might consider bending.

No Stannis fan *cough ... burning people ... killing his brother ... cough* but if you look at his competitors for a vacancy at the Iron Throne, he is a ruler who listens to people who are saying things he doesn't like (Davos, Jon). I liked the way he sees right through people (Slynt, the Florents) ETA and doesn't care if people are lowborn if they are competent.

No Stannis fan *cough ... burning people ... killing his brother ... cough* but if you look at his competitors for a vacancy at the Iron Throne, he is a ruler who listens to people who are saying things he doesn't like (Davos, Jon). I liked the

way he sees right through people (Slynt, the Florents) ETA and doesn't care if people are lowborn if they are competent.

Well his brother wanted to kill him just as much(he was even cheerful about the prospect)

Its just that Stannis got him first.

If u see,the people he burnt are the ones who broke the law(mance betrayed his oath) and deserved to die,however burning them alive was unfair i agree,he should have killed them first and then burnt them.No one deserves such a painful death except the real monsters(gregor,armory loch,tywin)

No Stannis fan *cough ... burning people ... killing his brother ... cough* but if you look at his competitors for a vacancy at the Iron Throne, he is a ruler who listens to people who are saying things he doesn't like (Davos, Jon). I liked the way he sees right through people (Slynt, the Florents) ETA and doesn't care if people are lowborn if they are competent.

Exactly. He is to all appearances a rigid blowhard...and he is...but he is neither stupid nor lacking in many good qualities as well.

This of course will depend on what happens in general if, and I do mean "IF" Dany shows up with her dragons seemingly under her control and not just unleashed and out of control. The field of fire teaches lessons as to what happened the last time there was an alliance against dragons. If Dany, mounted on top of Drogon was looking down on Stannis and gives the choice, bend or die, he might consider bending.

No. Stannis is not afraid of death. He thought Renly was going to bend his knee, when he didn't Stannis was still down to fight. After Blackwater his soldiers and advisors persuaded him to retreat so he could fight another day. Stannis has been comfortable with his mortality since Lord Stephen Baratheon's ship sank in front of his face. I posted this question to ask if Stannis would bow because he realizes that the Targaryens are alive, and not pretenders to the throne. (exclude Aegon)

No. Stannis is not afraid of death. He thought Renly was going to bend his knee, when he didn't Stannis was still down to fight. After Blackwater his soldiers and advisors persuaded him to retreat so he could fight another day. Stannis has been comfortable with his mortality since Lord Stephen Baratheon's ship sank in front of his face. I posted this question to ask if Stannis would bow because he realizes that the Targaryens are alive, and not pretenders to the throne. (exclude Aegon)

I agree that Stannis is incredibly brave but I do not know how he would react possibly staring into the mouth of Drogon. Remember, King Torhen Stark and others kings bent the knee to Aegon the Conqueror whom had no claim or right to anything in Westeros. I do not think that they were cowards either, they just seemed to realize that they could not win.

Stannis turn against the realm? Really?

He's carved off parts of his essence/soul/whatever though dark magic (cause nothing will convince me the magic Mel worked for the shaddow babies was good/light magic - and whether he was fully conscious of what he was doing I think he'll still have to pay for those deaths in a dark way) and is occupying the Nightfort, where the previous occupant basically joined forces with the Others until the North rose up against him. I think it is entirely possible that Stannis may end up filling a similar role now because I don't think the Others can remain without somekind of figurehead and/or source since they will at some point need to be stopped. A fair number of people think it might be Jon who fills this role, I think it might be Stannis.

I agree that Stannis is incredibly brave but I do not know how he would react possibly staring into the mouth of Drogon. Remember, King Torhen Stark and others kings bent the knee to Aegon the Conqueror whom had no claim or right to anything in Westeros. I do not think that they were cowards either, they just seemed to realize that they could not win.

Didn't Dorne successfully resist Aegon and his dragons? It can be done. I'm not saying Stannis can overcome the dragons, but he will fight and if he goes down hopefully it will be epic. Him bending the knee will just be a massive let down for such a great character.

Didn't Dorne successfully resist Aegon and his dragons? It can be done. I'm not saying Stannis can overcome the dragons, but he will fight and if he goes down hopefully it will be epic. Him bending the knee will just be a massive let down for such a great character.

I like Stannis too, let me just say that if Stannis is ever cornered by Dany, he might bend but as long as he can take a refuge, he would undoubtably fight a guerilla war if he can.

I like Stannis too, let me just say that if Stannis is ever cornered by Dany, he might bend but as long as he can take a refuge, he would undoubtably fight a guerilla war if he can.

If there is one character/military commander that could successfully resist Dany and her dragons, it is Stannis.

If there is one character/military commander that could successfully resist Dany and her dragons, it is Stannis.

He would have to have a region of refuge, Dorne, in the west and North has many mountains and perfect areas for troops to hide against Dragons. Stannis would have to have a base where they can resist Dragons. That is the key.

Stannis is all about duty. He fights for the Iron Throne not because he's power hungry, but because he firmly believes that it's his duty as the rightful heir. Therefore, I do believe that he would bend the knee to someone with a superior claim. I'm just not sure if he would see Aegon or Dany as having a superior claim. Robert took the throne by force, but the fact is that the ruling family changed; few (outside of die hard Targaryen loyalists) question the legitimacy of his reign. Even Barristan accepted Robert as the legitimate King. I don't see anything that would cause Stannis to acknowledge some sort of interrupted continuity of Targaryen rule. Given the fact that Robert did win the throne, only a Baratheon heir could supersede Stannis's claim. However, Stannis already knew about Edric, who was clearly Robert's son, who also has noble blood on his mother's side, but Stannis didn't see Edric as having a superior claim because Edric is a bastard. If not Edric, I don't see any other candidates. So I don't see Stannis politely stepping aside; as long as he's convinced that he's next in line for the crown, he'll assert his claim or die trying.

Then he'll be guarding the gates of some Skyrim town, saying 'once I was king of westeros, but then I took an arrow to the knee'

either that or "the gods gave you 2 hands and you use them both for your weapon, i respect that" in a baltic/norse/german/dothraki accent

Stannis is a pragmatist. As things stand now, he has no way of defeating Dany's dragons.... he will not fight a war he can't win, especially against someone who has a good claim to the throne, and has a good background. If dany was at this moment in Westeros with her entire army, he would bend the knee. Those who think he would choose to have all his men killed just for the right thing, are fools. He was always an underdog, but he was convinced at all time he still had a chance to win, that is why he fights. But agains dragons.... it's a completly different thing.

So I think this topic is suited only in the case that in the future something changes, he has a way to fight those dragons, he has an ice dragon of his own.... something, anything. My oppinion, even if this was the case, is that he would bend the knee... even if he thought he could beat her. If Dany sent someone, with a good offer to him, and the promise to fight against the Others he would take it. Just my feelings, knowing Stannis, and I don't feel the need to justify this. After all.... he now thinks he is Azor Ahai, the Prince that was promised..... not the king, the prince :)

Personally I think Stannis would try to marry Dany if he could, hes married right but Jon seems to beleive Selyse would throw herself into the night fires if Mel told her. He will not bend a knee to Aegon if he beleives him to be false, which he probaly is, and attacking Storms End is getting their relationship off on the wrong foot. The question is will he bend the knee to Jon Snow if R+L=J is true?

At first I was thinking "stannis is way to stubborn to ever bend the knee". Then I remembered Dany has dragons...

I am willing to bet he would be relctant, but once his lords started to destert him he would see the proof in the pudding and give in (likely in exchange for some sort of high ranknig position... and allowed to keep both dragonstone and storms end)

Archived