Would Stannis bend the knee to Daenerys or Aegon?

Gingerly Grumkin

Why do you say this?

Stannis is a pragmatist on the tactical level, he will work with the Wildlings, he will give Jon Snow Winterfell, he will give it to the Karstarks, he will name a commoner like Davos his hand because he is the best choice, he allies himself with Mel because she gives him a better chance of winning the throne basically hes pretty flexible about the means and is more interested in results. On the strategic level though he is inflexible and is not pragmatic and thats why he had so little support for the kingship. He will do what he has to do and work with whoever he has to work with to get on the throne but if he ever did get the the throne this pragmatism would soon disappear.

I think Stannis when his two brothers were alive had to play the straight man. His older brother was a wild party animal, his little brother was just too busy being cool to be worried about much else, and so it fell to Stannis to be the "dad" type with their father dead. Now that his two brothers are gone and Stannis has been forced to compromise again and again to stay in the game I think his character has evolved into some much more flexible and I don't think those lessons or that life journey is all for nothing as soon as he takes the throne.

The one truly rigid/unlikable thing about Stannis I found during my last look at ADwD (I have to reread 'The Sacrifice', though) was his remark about the people dying during the march. 'Let them [slip away and die in the snow]. We press on.' That's really not nice. On the other hand, saying that he pitied them and was sorry would not have changed anything.

But it's quite understandable. I mean, look at everything the man went through and survived. To mention only the most obvious, he had to face a siege at a young age and watch his men die of starvation, run the risk of dying that way himself; he had to face more seasoned men in battle with little support; a whole realm who din't want hi to be king and the knowledge that an army of frozen zombies is marching south; and finally this risk of freezing to death and, once more, starving. It seems to me that a man who faced all that and survived will expect his fellow human beings to do the same, and think lowly of anyone who seems to act otherwise.

No. Stannis is not afraid of death. He thought Renly was going to bend his knee, when he didn't Stannis was still down to fight. After Blackwater his soldiers and advisors persuaded him to retreat so he could fight another day. Stannis has been comfortable with his mortality since Lord Stephen Baratheon's ship sank in front of his face. I posted this question to ask if Stannis would bow because he realizes that the Targaryens are alive, and not pretenders to the throne. (exclude Aegon)

Well, he does seem to regret (?) having to betray his king, so if you put things that way... I still don't think he would bend the knee to Aegon (fake) or Daenerys (a girl, known to have caused chaos abroad, her father spitting-image, only more dangerous with real dragons and much more fire potential. Besides, there isn't really a conclusion as to who has the best claim, Stannis or Daenerys, from Targ rules of succession, is there?). And then there is Jon, and, like I said before he's the only one I can imagine Stannis would ever bend the knee to.

I think Stannis when his two brothers were alive had to play the straight man. His older brother was a wild party animal, his little brother was just too busy being cool to be worried about much else, and so it fell to Stannis to be the "dad" type with their father dead. Now that his two brothers are gone and Stannis has been forced to compromise again and again to stay in the game I think his character has evolved into some much more flexible and I don't think those lessons or that life journey is all for nothing as soon as he takes the throne.

By Stannis's own admission in ASOS he beleives that his pursuit of the crown will end up destroying him, like Robert he has some good qualities that make him suited to pursue a crown but not to wear one. He will show real flexibility and pragmatism by putting aside his own claim and throwing his support behind another claimant perhaps one who doesn't even know he has a claim, Jon Snow.

Currently looking through the SSM lists. Here's an interesting little thing I found:

6. A short discussion on Stannis' slaying of Renly. Martin just sat and listened. I made the point that killing someone on the battlefield is different from assasinating someone in their sleep, and Martin asked "Is it really? Are you saying that you would not have participating in the attempted bombing of Hitler? Instead, you'd prefer to kill him in battle where he'd have a fair chance in fighting?"

The past has shown that Stannis never backs down. However, as every character has grown throughout the series, I think that if Dany shows up with her dragons, he could be inclined to bend the knee. Aegon is much less likely, as his claim can be disputed quite easily. I think it's much more likely that Dany wouldn't accept Stannis if he bent the knee, purely because he is a Baratheon. Hopefully, she will see sense though and accept that the Starks and Baratheons aren't just evil usurpers dogs. I think ultimately it's going to take something like the eventual showdown with the others to see whether or not he'll bend the knee.

Just want to comment on the whole "Stannis betraying his King" thing. While he certainly had sworn an oath of fealty to Aerys, people sometimes seem to forget that Robert was more than his brother- he was his liege lord as the head of House Baratheon and the Stormlands, Stannis had also sworn an oath of loyalty to him. So it wasn't just a choice between following blood or following an oath, it was a choice between breaking one oath and keeping the other, and he did say it was the hardest choice of his life

"It would be a wondrous thing to see stone come to life,” he admitted, grudging. “And to mount a dragon … I remember the first time my father took me to court, Robert had to hold my hand. I could not have been older than four, which would have made him five or six. We agreed afterward that the king had been as noble as the dragons were fearsome.” Stannis snorted. “Years later, our father told us that Aerys had cut himself on the throne that morning, so his Hand had taken his place. It was Tywin Lannister who’d so impressed us.” His fingers touched the surface of the table, tracing a path lightly across the varnished hills. “Robert took the skulls down when he donned the crown, but he could not bear to have them destroyed. Dragon wings over Westeros … there would be such a …” [interrupted by Davos]

He seemed quite taken with dragons. :ohwell: I don't know how he'll react to them now though, after all he's been through.

Stannis is a pragmatist on the tactical level, he will work with the Wildlings, he will give Jon Snow Winterfell, he will give it to the Karstarks, he will name a commoner like Davos his hand because he is the best choice, he allies himself with Mel because she gives him a better chance of winning the throne basically hes pretty flexible about the means and is more interested in results. On the strategic level though he is inflexible and is not pragmatic and thats why he had so little support for the kingship. He will do what he has to do and work with whoever he has to work with to get on the throne but if he ever did get the the throne this pragmatism would soon disappear.

I think you've hit the nail on the head here: Stannis is intelligent and adaptive in the pursuit of his goals. His goals themselves, however, are ultimately non-negotiable.

I think you've hit the nail on the head here: Stannis is intelligent and adaptive in the pursuit of his goals. His goals themselves, however, are ultimately non-negotiable.

But Stannis, more than likely, will die. Unless the readings from the House of the Undying have been remarkably incorrect. So, I don't see Stannis just giving up his claim to Dany that simply.

But Stannis, more than likely, will die. Unless the readings from the House of the Undying have been remarkably incorrect. So, I don't see Stannis just giving up his claim to Dany that simply.

Oh, I agree. And again, the direct statement (from two characters who knew Stannis and were not idiots) that Stannis will break before he bends is not accidental.

I have this strange feeling that Melissandre is finally going to accept that she was wrong by identifying him as AA. Every time she looks into the flames and asks who is TPWWP, she sees a vision of Jon Snow, not Stannis.

She will kill Stannis, and join forces with Jon due to one of her visions.

This will probably be a bad thing for Jon because I think that Ryllor is a false God, and that Jon will finally figure out the the Old Gods are the true gods, and he will kill her when Bran uses the warged ravens to show him how evil she is.

• 2 months later...

I think an important factor in Stannis surviving any meeting with Dany would be what Barristan would have to say about him.

They served on Robert's council together, so Barristan should know him pretty well. If Dany listens to Barristan I think Stannis will survive.

If, as I believe, Barristan is being set up as a new Queenmaker, having a legitimate Baratheon backing Dany would go a long, long way.

If Stannis ends up taking the black and becoming the 999th or 1000th Lord Commander of the Night's Watch (as some people have suggested he might) then he won't have to bend the knee. He says something in either ASOS or ADWD like "this is the war i was born to fight" talking about defending the realm from the Others. Maybe he will take 'bend the knee' by taking the black to atone for participating in Robert's rebellion. I know in ADWD he tells Massey to seat Shireen if he dies so obviously he cares about her claim as well, but remember the greyscale? If Shireen were to die and Stannis had no heir... he'd have nothing to lose by taking the black. If he doesn't want House Baratheon to totally end he could bring back Edric and legitimize him.

I know the above are a lot of inferences and what if's... but I just wanted to point out that bending the knee in the conventional sense isn't Stannis' only option. Davos could take the black as well and be commander at Eastwatch now that I think of it.

• 1 month later...

i think mel has is starting to realize that jon snow is the real profecy she sees in the fire.and will save him .also i think the attack on him is a way for him to get a way from the black with out dishonor .stannis will be the right man for the job leaving john snow(targearyan) to rule westeros with danny maybe being hand of the king. i first taught she would marrie jon but she cant have any more children so maybe he marries one from dorne.also i think some one will come forward with a letter saying he is raegars heir.

stannis will be the right man for the job leaving john snow(targearyan) to rule westeros with danny maybe being hand of the king

Daenerys ... would not be my first choice for Hand. That's not playing to her strengths.

Her strengths are her charisma, her compassion and genuine concern for her people, and her considerable tactical prowess (especially for one with neither experience nor training). And, of course, dragons.

So far, the political acumen and talent for intrigue I'd want in a Hand are not traits she's exhibited.

Archived