Would Stannis bend the knee to Daenerys or Aegon?

Gingerly Grumkin

I suppose but, at least when it comes to Stannis, the way Asha thought about him in ADwD seemingly indicates he will never give up his quest. There is this part in the series, I forget which of the characters was the speaker but I’m almost sure it was said to Jon, where Stannis and Robert were compared, and Stannis was spoken of as being too hard and brittle, destined to ultimately break before giving way. Since then I’ve always been of the opinion that his ultimate fate is to be crushed underfoot by Daenerys.

Perhaps. What a depressing development that would be. *sigh*

Idk about all that thou, he opposed The Mad King because of his loyalty to Robert. And he opposed the Lannisters for betraying and killing Robert, that situation with Renly was personal.

Question: If Stannis was there when Ned quit and Robert & friends were talking about killing Dany, what would Stannis have said? Renly said we should kill her but he is not Stannis...

In fact has Stannis ever mentioned the word Targaryen in a modern sense?

That was the blacksmith at the wall (can't think of his name) telling Jon about how Stannis was like Iron, but he hadn't known been around Stannis for a long time.

Donal Noye.

You're right, I thought it was him but was not sure. And he does know Stannis more than you give him credit for. He was the blacksmith for House Baratheon. I believe he even made Stannis’ first sword.

And irrespective of that, what we have seen of Stannis indicates he is exactly as Noye described him.

That was the blacksmith at the wall (can't think of his name) telling Jon about how Stannis was like Iron, but he hadn't known been around Stannis for a long time.

While this is true, it's also true that Martin can't find his way out of a paperbag when it comes to timelines, and the authorial intent of that conversation (comparing the Super Baratheon Bros, and giving a brief summary of their main traits) was pretty obvious. Stannis is pretty much the way he described it at the beggining of Clash of Kings. However, and many people seem to forget this, characters in this series aren't static, and even if it's not as obvious as guys like Jaime and Theon (largely due to not being a POV character), he has evolved significantly since the beginning of his story, and at this point I could see him bending if it came to pass.

That being said, I wouldn't want him to, I want him to brave through Lannisters, Others and dragons, and claim what's his by rights with his last breath. But out of all the plausible end scenarios for Stannis, bending to someone with a claim he perceives as better is pretty much as far as he can get.

I suppose but, at least when it comes to Stannis, the way Asha thought about him in ADwD seemingly indicates he will never give up his quest. There is this part in the series, I forget which of the characters was the speaker but I’m almost sure it was said to Jon, where Stannis and Robert were compared, and Stannis was spoken of as being too hard and brittle, destined to ultimately break before giving way. Since then I’ve always been of the opinion that his ultimate fate is to be crushed underfoot by Daenerys.

God I hope this doesn't happen. I actually think Dany will die in her fight with the Others, and that Stannis will ultimately sit the throne.

And irrespective of that, what we have seen of Stannis indicates he is exactly as Noye described him.

Exactly. Plus, what we know of Stannis in the interim is that he has spent years and years since Robert's Rebellion brooding on slights to his position both real and imagined...both in Renly being invested as the Lord of Storm's End (it's stated more than once Stannis was fit to be tied about that), as well as the reactions to what he views as his absolutely iron-clad claim to the Iron Throne. Events are not "mellowing" Stannis or making him into a seasoned pragmatist.

God I hope this doesn't happen. I actually think Dany will die in her fight with the Others, and that Stannis will ultimately sit the throne.

Why do you think this? My opinion is that Stannis will end the series as a broken and friendless man or (more likely) broken and friendless when he dies.

Why do you think this? My opinion is that Stannis will end the series as a broken and friendless man or (more likely) broken and friendless when he dies.

Because no one expects it. I just think it would be cool to have the rightful heir on the throne who has been actively trying to win it for 4 or whatever books now.

Plus with the backing of the Iron Bank, and his confidence in defeating the Boltons, it just may happen.

I have a similar feeling as Nymphetamine as well... although I don't believe there will be an iron throne in the future. But Stannis will be the king of what will remain.

Martin has invested too much on this character and spent too much time for no obvious reason. He is not likable in a first sight. Nor he is a strong competitor for the Iron Throne. His own brother believes he doesn't worth the throne. And the other one sent him to Dragonstone. But still, all favorite characters died and Stannis is here "torturing" us by grinding the teeth! why? and why the author put Melisandre by his side?

Do you remember how Martin said that the ending would be bittersweet? what's more bitter than after a hard-fought war Stannis take the lead? :P

Because it seems so unlikely. Stannis is the perennial bridesmaid, never the bride. So of course he's going to end on a high note. :P

King Stannis would'nt bend his knee. Dany knows nothing about Westeros and Others, about very bad situation in "her kingdoms". She does'nt want know. "Daaariooo, Daaariooo". Pfft.

She did nothing for "her" realm. She waits for... I don't know for what.

She has Unsullied and dragons, in Westeros everything falls.

For what? I don't know, really.

Because it seems so unlikely. Stannis is the perennial bridesmaid, never the bride. So of course he's going to end on a high note. :P

Well, it's certainly possible. ;)

Narratively, I sort of like the idea of Stannis realizing in a horrible and apocalyptic moment that everything he was so certain of was wrong (that his claim actually is contingent on a lot of things and not a matter of right, that he is not AA, etc etc) and sacrificing himself in some kind of attempt to make amends. I just think that guy has had a bullseye on him since day 1.

I have a similar feeling as Nymphetamine as well... although I don't believe there will be an iron throne in the future. But Stannis will be the king of what will remain.

Martin has invested too much on this character and spent too much time for no obvious reason. He is not likable in a first sight. Nor he is a strong competitor for the Iron Throne. His own brother believes he doesn't worth the throne. And the other one sent him to Dragonstone. But still, all favorite characters died and Stannis is here "torturing" us by grinding the teeth! why? and why the author put Melisandre by his side?

Do you remember how Martin said that the ending would be bittersweet? what's more bitter than after a hard-fought war Stannis take the lead? :P

I think that there will still be the iron throne, but that it won't be as relevant or as powerful as it is now.

Well, it's certainly possible. ;)

Narratively, I sort of like the idea of Stannis realizing in a horrible and apocalyptic moment that everything he was so certain of was wrong (that his claim actually is contingent on a lot of things and not a matter of right, that he is not AA, etc etc) and sacrificing himself in some kind of attempt to make amends. I just think that guy has had a bullseye on him since day 1.

Sounds about perfect to me. Stannis' biggest fault is certainly his pride, and this scenario would show him coming to grips with that.

Sounds about perfect to me. Stannis' biggest fault is certainly his pride, and this scenario would show him coming to grips with that.

Actually, I kind of disagree. Stannis' biggest fault is his rigidity — he clings so hard to the letter of the law that he forgets the spirit of the law.

Actually, I kind of disagree. Stannis' biggest fault is his rigidity — he clings so hard to the letter of the law that he forgets the spirit of the law.

Whoa! Who went to the Wall, it sure as hell wasn't the Iron Thorne, It wasn't even The King In The North

Well, there's a dual case of "letter of the law at all costs" rigidity combined with someone nursing years' worth of personal grievances...that he has been unfairly screwed out of things that were his by the letter of the law. It's both his sense of long-thwarted entitlement (which also plays to his pride) and his penchant for legalistic rigidity at work here.

Archived