Loras vs. Mountain Joust

ckal

Possible spoilers may lie ahead.

OK, so I need a refresher here. This came to mind after rewatching that episode in the HBO series...

The tournament for the Hand was taking place and Loras unseated the Mountain. There were claims of Loras cheating or something about a horse in heat? I may be mixing the book and the show and the whole event is just very cloudy, but some clarification here would be much appreciated!

side question:

Isn't Loras a bastard? Isn't that why he has the title 'Knight of Flowers'? But in ACOK and elsewhere he is named Loras Tyrell and one of the sons of Mace Tyrell. Am I missing something?

Loras tyrell is not a bastard nor is he is ever referred to as one. From the first time he is mentioned he is called Loras Tyrell third born son of mace tyrell. He is called knight of flowers because of his armor and the sigil of his house is a rose... He is not called Loras Flowers

And yes he beat the mountain because his mare was in heat

I must have been confused with the whole 'Knight of Flowers' part. I know the flower or rose is the Tyrell sigil, but I know the bastards also take the names of 'Flowers'.

By 'his' I'm sure you mean The Mountain's mare was in heat. The result of which being the horse was a bit unruly and Loras could take advantage of this?

Thanks btw.

It's Loras' mare that is in heat. Which causes Gregor's stallion to go crazy and out of control. Here's what littlefinger said about it.

“Tyrell had to know the mare was in heat,” Littlefinger was saying. “I swear the boy planned the whole thing. Gregor has always favored huge, ill-tempered stallions with more spirit than sense.” The notion seemed to amuse him.

I think Robert would certainly fit, but I think there is another character mentioned in the books, who is similar to Robert. And Robert didn´t come to much harm because of his spirit at that point.

• 3 weeks later...

I don't think there was anything secretly hidden in Littlefinger's comment. Stallions are known to be more spirited than their gelded counterparts and the notion that Loras thought of this trick was amusing if only it didn't turn out the way it did.

It also shows charicters reactions on a much more serious matter. The lords who felt it was unseemly to pick a mare in heat to distrub a stallion are also lords that might find something else unseemly. That, and it provided a moment for the Hound to complete the change from "Scary bad guy" to "well rounded guy"

• 4 weeks later...

Archived