[Book Spoilers] Arya's scene

BoX

First of all, I never said I was angry. I said the name change was annoying, and although I certainly understand why they changed the name.

It is annoying because I would rather have changed Osha's name. Asha actually kicks ass and has her own POVs in the book. Although Osha is a significant secondary character, in the episodes being portrayed, Asha is an active participant in moving the action of the plot.

I know who took over the city watch. It doesn't make sense to take out characters whom the original writer GRRM had in a secondary hierarchy, and replace him (Bywater) with a character (Bronn), who was never the commander of the watch, and would have been politically unacceptable as the chief of the watch. Tyrion would never have been so politically naive as to make a sellsword the commander of the watch, at this point. He does indeed make him a Lord later in the saga, but only when it is totally to his own advantage.

As far as Rokharo, is concerned, I feel that an underlying theme of Dany's part in the plot is the small, but powerful and loyal group of followers that are the backbone of her quest for power. They could certainly have found another actor to play the part, rather than going on the cheap, and cutting off his head.

You may like Roz scenes and that is fine for you, but if there is not enough time to do things correctly then why waste time with pointless T and A filler? I mean really, there is sex o plenty in the exisiting cast of characters, why waste precious time on an extraneous distraction?[/b

As for Arya being older, well of course she is a whole year older, but that doesn't mean that one of the most effective scenes in the entire saga should be bowlderized! For goodness sake, she was wise enough that she gave up her identity as Arya of House Stark in about 10 seconds. And although I have never been in a medieval battle, I am sure many participants would be shouting the entities they were loyal to.

And do you think that WinterFell was exempt from condemning people to the Black Watch? So the idea that a person disguised as a male would draw additional attention to herself/himself by crying out "WinterFell" in the middle of a desperate conflict seems ludicrous to me.

The dramatic tension within Arya, of concealing her identity, which she had been suppressing, while all the unfair and despicable things were being done to her legacy, which results in her crying "WinterFell", this was a dramatic device which GRRM utilized extremely effectively in the original.

And you know, this is typical of the kind of decisions the producers have made, that have made me a bit disappointed in the series.

Even though I knew that they actually couldn't do it within the realm of the story, if I was a non-reader I would be surprised that someone didn't immediately say something along the lines of fourth guy to the right of me; the big one with the muscles. I was quite proud that no one pointed him out.

I think it was one of the smarter moves the TV writers made, since Arya's extended journey does very little to change events down the road. If they're going to condense, and they have to, this is the way to do it.

The only thing I don't understand is why HBO continues to do GoT in 10 episodes per season instead of the standard 12 they've always used for shows like True Blood, Rome, Sopranos, etc. They're already on location and filming, it wouldn't be prohibitively expensive to do an extra two shows so the series isn't so crunched. And even they're throwing $60 to $70 million into each season, that's still $10 million to $30 million less than Rome's two seasons.

i had a problem with this as well, but i've just chalked it up to my own dumb decision to read the books before the series[HBO] was completely finished. I know that i'm going to hate a ton of things they'll (the show) do, but i can't do anything about it. as long as they keep the major plot lines going with enough of the better side stories it'll suffice. i also didn't like how they rushed the tyrion/shae/varys relationship or the fact that she's already working in the castle, but again i expected to lose alot of continuity with the books with only ten episodes. i also kind of hoped that seeing as how there is a major time gap between the series[books] finally finishing and the series[show] catching up to the books that they[HBO] would take their time and stretch out a couple of the books. but as per usual television executives have yet to learn how to read my mind.

Archived