Crackpot: Blind Symeon Star-Eyes

Winter's Knight

Entering into the realm of crackpot, I propose that Symeon Star-Eyes was an Other-or at least part-Other.

My reasoning-apart from how mindnumbingly cool it would be to have an Other as a Hero of legend-is as follows.

1. Symeon Star Eyes is said to have replaced his eyes with star-shaped sapphires and that he was blind.
  2. I suggest that this was an explanation for his strange blue Othereyes that resembled the star known as the Eye of the Ice Dragon.
  3. He's supposed to have gone to the Nightfort and seen hellhounds fighting.

• 3 weeks later...

It makes sense. The blue eyes and the sapphires seem to point to something Other-worldly (swidt?) and the hellhound vision is creepy.

A lot of the other Nightfort stories have had their themes come into play — Rat Cook, Danny Flint, mad-axe, etc. — so I'm sure this one will too, if it hasn't already.

Not crackpot at all, imo, I think the same thing.

I think that Symeon Star-Eyes was a man like Coldhands who somehow managed to avoid full wightification after he was killed by Others, but unlike Coldhands he was able to live as, or with, men. The "Star-Eyes" is a story-teller's explaination for the electric-blue wight-eyes he acquired.

People have cracked pots with much smaller hammers.

Do you think it has anything to do with the curse King Sherrit called down upon the Andals at the Nightfort? Was Symeon an Andal? The Andals seem to have a thing for shitting on the lawn of the Nightfort-- The Rat Cook, the Sherrit curse. What are Andals even doing at the Nightfort anyway-- especially a King and his heir. There has to be something going on to draw Southern Kings all the way to the Wall.

> The Andals seem to have a thing for shitting on the lawn of the Nightfort

Stannis is an Andal king, and his queen has just upped sticks to the Nightfort.

I predict something extreeeemely creepy and unpleasant is going to go down with Selyse, Shireen and Patchface. I literally can't wait!

• 1 month later...

An interesting idea, which raises the question: Is CH Symeon?

In that case he has been "dead" since the Age of Heroes. Why has he stayed around so long and nobody has seen him before? Why did he pop out after thousands and thousands of years to help Sam?

In that case he has been "dead" since the Age of Heroes. Why has he stayed around so long and nobody has seen him before? Why did he pop out after thousands and thousands of years to help Sam?

Well it's just a musing. Don't really have any basis for it except that if Symeon is a Wight, he can only really affect the story if he's in some way present. But why not ask why no one has seen a COTF for thousands of years? They've been in hiding and are just now starting to make contact with people again now that the Others are returning. It could be a similar deal with Symeon.

I'd have to re-read that bit, but didn't Sam pray and ask the old gods for help just before Coldhands appears -and his elk, an animal which iirc is associated with the Children of the Forest.

ETA This may or may not have something to do with that Sam said his words before the old gods, beneath a heart tree.

I'd have to re-read that bit, but didn't Sam pray and ask the old gods for help just before Coldhands appears -and his elk, an animal which iirc is associated with the Children of the Forest.

ETA This may or may not have something to do with that Sam said his words before the old gods, beneath a heart tree.

i have such memories too. Also, the child of the forest Leaf said Coldhands was dead long ago, and that's one of the main points of people opposing Benjen = CH theory. So, according to CotF lifespan - someone from the age of heroes would fit in "a long time ago".

Never thought of that btw, props to the OP!

Is there something about him on the wiki? Can someone put the full legend of him here if not?

It makes sense. The blue eyes and the sapphires seem to point to something Other-worldly (swidt?) and the hellhound vision is creepy.

A lot of the other Nightfort stories have had their themes come into play — Rat Cook, Danny Flint, mad-axe, etc. — so I'm sure this one will too, if it hasn't already.

I like the star eyes theory, and it suggests the need of other/wight help to fight the others and wights. But can someone explain the Danny Flint and mad axe stories again. I did not pick up that they happened again like the Rat cook story.

I'm more inclined to think that Coldhands is the Night's King. In regards to the OP, I think there is definitely something more to Symeon than we're told...

Maybe he has been around but has become part of legends and stories, so no one really believes in his existence :dunno:

Maybe he was just in slumber and BR woke him up to help out Sam and in turn get Bran through to the other side of the wall #crackpot theory within a crackpot theory :cheers:

I like the star eyes theory, and it suggests the need of other/wight help to fight the others and wights. But can someone explain the Danny Flint and mad axe stories again. I did not pick up that they happened again like the Rat cook story.

Danny Flint was a girl who dressed up as a boy to join the Night's Watch, but she was eventually raped and murdered in the Nightfort. The most obvious allusion there is Arya being disguised as a boy on the way to the Wall, although she didn't follow the story through the whole way.

Mad Axe was a sworn brother who silently killed his brethren in the wee hours at the Nightfort. I'm not sure where the allusion is here - maybe Abel and the spearwives killing people off in Winterfell?

Archived