Why I love Victarion Greyjoy.

Edmund Snow

Also... Victarion isn't going to meet Dany at Meereen at all because Dany isn't there.

From what I interpret of one of GRRM's more recent interviews, she isn't likely to be back for a while either, because she has further business with the Dothraki and possibly with Vaes Dothrak. She will eventually "encounter" Tyrion, but GRRM stopped short of suggesting they would actually team up.

Victarion, meanwhile, can't stay long in Meereen. For the following reasons:

(1) The Volantene fleet, following him in, which he's overtaken. He himself is of the opinion that their numerical advantage is too great for even him to win a sea battle: and if even Victarion thinks he can't win, he is probably right, because one thing he certainly knows about is fighting at sea. And if he cannot fight them at sea, he certainly cannot fight them on land.

(2) Plague corpses have been flung into the city. No sailor will stay long in a port where there is plague, even if he succeeds in taking the city, he and his men will have to flee the disease soon enough.

(3) The city is already in a position of not being able to feed itself, the Meereenese nobles upon losing the war having destroyed a lot of the important crops in the land, cut down the olive trees. Further food will be taken by any other invaders that come. The place is going to end up so thoroughly looted by invaders that there is nothing left to loot, there will be no food for any army to eat, and not even any gold to buy it from other cities with.

So, if Victarion and his army stay, they will be starved AND diseased AND have to fight, on land, a force that even Victarion believes they cannot defeat at sea. (While the Volantene slave-armies might defect to Dany if she were there, they won't defect to Victarion. And even if they did, they couldn't feed themselves there either. The whole place is becoming one giant death trap.)

Victarion's best hope is for the horn to control one or both of the remaining dragons, and then bust the hell out of there, evading the Volantene fleet on the way out - or trashing it with a stolen dragon, if he gets control of the dragon (or if the dragon is bound to Euron because the horn is still bound to Euron, but follows Victarion anyway because it suits Euron for any stolen dragon to follow Victarion for now.)

I think the one he gets will end up being Rhaegal - who, in the reading of a Tyrion chapter, is seen flying near the ironborn fleet: while Viserion withdraws from the fight early, possibly injured (remember the foreshadowing of the blood-specked white dragon piece in that Tyrion chapter?), and may remain out of earshot of the horn or unable to respond to it. In either case Viserion is more likely to be found by Tyrion who will tame him with kindness (remember Tyrion wiping the blood off that cyvasse piece?), and without magic. Especially if Viserion is injured or crippled - Tyrion has a natural sympathy for injured things.

So the first dragon getting back to Westeros will be Rhaegal, bound either to Euron or Victarion. Euron no doubt thinks it will be bound to himself, and may be in for a surprise if Moqorro's advice has prompted Victarion on how to break Euron's "ownership" of the horn and bind it to himself. However it would not surprise me if Euron has either already prepared a surprise just in case Victarion was successful, or is in the process of doing so.

A thought: Euron is currently attacking Oldtown. Perhaps he's in search of one of the maesters' books on dragonlore, and how to control or kill a hostile dragon. BUT, that book may also be why Jaqen H'ghar (to use the name by which we first knew him, though it's obviously not his real name) is there, having stolen the identity of Pate the Stupid Alchemist. Imagine Euron's fury if he sacks the maester's tower but finds the book gone - especially if it was part of his plan for combatting Victarion.

Another thought: Euron probably initially thought that Victarion would simply have the horn blown, and any dragons would be bound to Euron. But his warlocks may have been able to tell him that Victarion has now met Moqorro, and perhaps Moqorro's hints *have* indeed been successful in hinting at breaking Euron's bond with the horn and establishing Victarion as the new owner, and will thus be coming back with a dragon which is his own and not Euron's, which would be why Euron needs the dragonlore book from Oldtown about "the death of dragons" - the book which, contrary to his expectation, will be gone before he gets there...

Victarion might not be the smartest but I think he is one of those who eventually win anyway and no one can say how they did it. I mean, he is called Victarion!

Anyway, he is very entertaining to read and that's why I also really like him and the Ironborn in general (not so much Theon and Asha though).

I do think he's the Ironborn analogue to Davos - not the brightest, but somehow endearing and able to survive the craziest shit.

I agree! Victarion and Davos are two of my favourite characters. I think he is also quite a lot like Stannis also though. He always does his duty to his older brother and both are unintentionally hilarious at times.

I hope he eventually adopts Stannis' attitude towards kinslaying too...

ETA:older brother

He always does his duty to his older brother and both are unintentionally hilarious at times.

I think he does it when he is being too lazy to think for himself! He doesn't like complicated thoughts. The same when he decides to take Dany as a wife himself. He doesn't think about any plan how to do it, he just wants to do it. It's all big game for him.

He is so hilarious.

I'm on my second read through the series just finishing up aFfC right now, and a thought occurred to me. Is there any possibility Victarion Greyjoy might be Azor Ahai Reborn? He gets into all that business with the Lord of Light on his ship with Moqorro and his arm. . .And he's the only character I can think of who's actually killed his wife like Azor Ahai was required to do to forge Lightbringer. . .Might be a long shot, but has anyone else had any thoughts about that?

I'm on my second read through the series just finishing up aFfC right now, and a thought occurred to me. Is there any possibility Victarion Greyjoy might be Azor Ahai Reborn? He gets into all that business with the Lord of Light on his ship with Moqorro and his arm. . .And he's the only character I can think of who's actually killed his wife like Azor Ahai was required to do to forge Lightbringer. . .Might be a long shot, but has anyone else had any thoughts about that?

I would like that! Some theories say that he is actually unVictarion now, so kind of reborn? It's all very mysterious.

Archived