RW changes? (spoilers)

Southpaw89

Jinglebell being the Frey Cat killed is relatively important in the book. That the limit of her ability for revenge is killing a mentally challenged fool who they don't even value much. Even worse, a completely innocent person.

I would understand if they chose not to go that route for sensitivity reasons. It would be fairly risky to show it.

By the way, I distinctly remember a Michelle Fairley interview where she stated something about D&D having her fate be different from the books. When I read it at the time, I thought it indicated that undead Cat might not come to pass. Not sure where I read that, or if I imagined it. Anybody else remember anything like that?

It's important that the Lannister sending his regards is Jaime simply because Cat sent Jaime to free her daughters so it hurts her that much more that he betrayed her. It can be Jaime regardless of whether Jaime meets Roose because everybody in the north knows that Cat released Jaime for that reason.

Jinglebell being the Frey Cat killed is relatively important in the book. That the limit of her ability for revenge is killing a mentally challenged fool who they don't even value much. Even worse, a completely innocent person.

I would understand if they chose not to go that route for sensitivity reasons. It would be fairly risky to show it.

They could achieve an almost-identical effect by making Cat kill one of the younger Freys, as opposed to a mentally-challenged one. Like, an 8 yr old Walder. I get the impression she doesn't kill Jinglebell in that moment out of vengeance, it comes across more as a reflex reaction to what she witnesses. She's holding a knife to someone's neck when she experiences the most emotional pain since Ned's beheading. She lets her pain out by gripping the knife hard and using it on the closest person.

It's important that the Lannister sending his regards is Jaime simply because Cat sent Jaime to free her daughters so it hurts her that much more that he betrayed her. It can be Jaime regardless of whether Jaime meets Roose because everybody in the north knows that Cat released Jaime for that reason.

Agreed. That line is a very important part of the current Jaime/Brienne storyline. If Cat doesn't think Jaime had a part in Roose's agenda, out goes much of her hatred for Jaime.

Moreover, they definitely need to show Grey Wind getting attacked. That scene is so thick with symbolism that you can hit people with it.

The end of the episode HAS to be the shot of Greywind's head with a crown on its head and the Rains of Castermere playing in the background. The camera will gradually pan out revealing that Greywinds head is actally on top of Robbs body and is sitting on a throne and pan further out to reveal a hall full of dead bodies and blood. i actually think its how they end the series (although it would involve a fair bit of juggling around with other storylines) becasue it will be really chilling and everyone will think wtf! whats going to happen now and we would all have to wait to until the next series.

It is going to be a very challenging scene to film. So much of that scene took place as Cat's internal dialogue. A lot of that needs to be included for the scene to be successful, and doing so will be fairly tricky. The good news is that they have likely be thinking about how to film this exact scene for a long long time.

Regarding using a child Frey, rather than an adult Frey with a developmental disability...I'm not sure why one would be better than the other. Honestly, the tact that I think they will take is to have a fully abled actor playing a developmentally disabled person.

I don't think they will include Cat killing the mentally challenged Frey. They'll want to go for the heart-breaking tragedy and sadness of Cat and Rob dying without complicating things by making Cat look bad.

In the book, Cat's actions connected quite powerfully because we go through the same dilemma she goes through - the gut wrenching fury and devastation pulling us away from our basic ethics about treating the mentally handicapped. Getting that dilemma to work effectively on screen, without detracting from the main event, may be too difficult for them to bother with though.

I think as chilling an ending as that might be (Robb's body with Grey Wind's head), it plays better in book form than on TV. I worry that it will just look sort of silly, like the display of Bran and Rickon's "bodies" at Winterfell which just confused most non-book readers (lots of people barely understood it was supposed to be Bran and Rickon at all, and they looked so fake). I think that one is better heard about afterwards as it was in the books, as something the smallfolk are talking about.

I think if done correctly a raggedly sewn wolf's head on Robb's head could be a terrifying cinematic image. Like if they did a slow zoom of the post-RW carnage in Frey's feast hall and show Robb sitting at the head of the table with Grey Wind's head, that would be so freaky!

I'm excited to see it.

The episode will end with Sandor's axe swinging down to hit Arya on the back of her head. Fade to black. RoC during credits.

A hell of a lot of Robb fangirls wailing for years....

They already did Rains of Castamere in the credits, they're not going to pull that again. I am excited that they introduced the song in Season 2 (how hilarious was it when we found out that RoC was the tune Tyrion whistles to himself all the time), because it means we can expect to hear it again in future seasons, now that we know what it means.

By the way, I distinctly remember a Michelle Fairley interview where she stated something about D&D having her fate be different from the books. When I read it at the time, I thought it indicated that undead Cat might not come to pass. Not sure where I read that, or if I imagined it. Anybody else remember anything like that?

I don't remember that exactly, but I remember Michelle spoiling (without thinking, I suppose) that she'd end up undead, and would have to have some serious makeup/prosthetics done for this.

Of all moments during the RW, I really hope they keep Catelyn killing a Frey intact. I don't care if it's a grandson or a son, as long as she does it to a Frey. The way it's described as she brutally carves across his neck... it's raw emotion and all she can do in that instant to express her pain. I'm sure everyone watching would be screaming at the TV for some sort of vengeance and Frey blood. It's of little significance in the grand scheme of things but she really needs it to convey her agony in this way, instead of screaming or crying.

They took out all of area's death scenes after she killed the stable boy . . . Arya hasn't done a single things since then but talk about, "Dark Sister" and say, "Valar Morghulis."

I also think they are going to "stream line" things as not to confuse readers. The story is complex and are slowing it down and focusing on the main points and putting their own spin on the story.

I think they will do well. They did a great job with Baelor and I think they will handle this well . . ... The HBOGO features let you know that D and D are just like us, they are us and while we disagree on things and see them in a certain way, so do they.

Archived