Azor Ahai, the Long Night and the Prince that was Promised

gll25

An idea crossed my mind recently. I see a lot of people debating who is Azor Ahai Reborn in this forum, with a myriad of candidates suggested, from Stannis to Hodor, but who was Azor Ahai/the last hero himself, and the indications this could give to who is his reincarnation, is seldom discussed. Right now, I believe the last hero was Brandon the Builder, who ended the Long Night after pushing the Others back to their own lands of always winter, and then making peace with them with the help of the Children, as they seem to be closely related to the White Walkers. Bran built the Wall to mark the new border and to protect the realms of men, and Winterfell to serve as his seat of power, in the heart of the North. He hid the legendary sword he used to defeat the enemy, Lightbringer, in the deepest depths of the crypts of his newly built castle, to be eventually found again by a next hero, to fight the Others when they returned. This would explain the hot springs that keep the castle warm even in the worst winters (I know, simple volcanic activity would do the job, but let's think something more magical, shall we?).

I believe Jon is the prince that was promised, and Bran the Builder being Azor Ahai/The Last Hero only strengthens this claim. Jon will obviously survive the attempt on his life, and will lead the Free Folk south, towards Winterfell. He will liberate the castle, and will discover the one true Lightbringer. Thoughts?

I was following till you said the sword heats the castle? Isn't it known there are hot springs and pipes built in the walls that do this? >_<

I liked the idea of bran the builder being the last hero. but since he is already a recognizable hero why wouldn't the two stories just converge? They right up above the ancient history of westros is very sketchy.

I was following till you said the sword heats the castle? Isn't it known there are hot springs and pipes built in the walls that do this? >_<

I liked the idea of bran the builder being the last hero. but since he is already a recognizable hero why wouldn't the two stories just converge? They right up above the ancient history of westros is very sketchy.

Yeah, that part about the sword was just a wild guess because it sounds pretty cool. However, lightbringer could well be hidden in Winterfell (if the Builder was AA), and Jon could find it when he goes south (if he goes).

I believe Jon will be brought back to life by Melisandre, thus freeing him from his vows to the Night's Watch (well, he died), and he will be born again (even though the "amidst smoke and salt" is a tricky one here), thus fullfiling one of the "conditions" to be Azor Ahai reborn. He will then march south and free winterfell from the Bolton yoke. He will emerge from the crypt with Lightbringer, and the Free Folk will declare him their leader/king. It's a long shot, I know, but it sounds pretty cool. I say Jon will lead the Free Folk because the Night's Watch is finished, in my opinion. First, for plot reasons, as it seems they must end so that the Wall loses its magic, allowing the Others to invade. Second, the betrayal of Bowen Marsh & co. is, in my opinion, the last nail in the coffin of the Night's Watch, as it is already severely weakened by the ill-fated Great Ranging of the Old Bear, and the battles against the Free Folk.

Yeah I remember old nan saying the wall stands strong so long as the men of the nights watch stand true. Well them acting out against jon was the dwindiling to that. So I had a theory before that them turning against the lord commander makes them false. Them breaking their vows would allow the magic of the wall to fail. But I'm not sure if mel will resurect jon rather than heal him with salt and her smokes(foreign powders). Allowing the man to be born admist salt and smoke. But its hard to disput dany fits that prophecy best so far. Being born in the sea on dragonstone, admist the salt in the air, and smoke from the dragonmont also she raised dragons from stone. Which is something mel predicted, I think for the prophecy to be fulfilled azor ahai(dany) would need lightbringer the sword that brings the dawn. Which so happens to be the nights watch and even more so Jon Snow. By weilding lightbringer. Azor ahai can end the long night and bring the long summer. But I can be far off. Its just some friendly speculation on my part. I'm sure others have thought it too (:

Yeah I remember old nan saying the wall stands strong so long as the men of the nights watch stand true. Well them acting out against jon was the dwindiling to that. So I had a theory before that them turning against the lord commander makes them false. Them breaking their vows would allow the magic of the wall to fail. But I'm not sure if mel will resurect jon rather than heal him with salt and her smokes(foreign powders). Allowing the man to be born admist salt and smoke. But its hard to disput dany fits that prophecy best so far. Being born in the sea on dragonstone, admist the salt in the air, and smoke from the dragonmont also she raised dragons from stone. Which is something mel predicted, I think for the prophecy to be fulfilled azor ahai(dany) would need lightbringer the sword that brings the dawn. Which so happens to be the nights watch and even more so Jon Snow. By weilding lightbringer. Azor ahai can end the long night and bring the long summer. But I can be far off. Its just some friendly speculation on my part. I'm sure others have thought it too (:

Yeah, Dany fits the prophecy the best, but Martin is not someone who normally goes for the obvious choice. Jon finding Lightbringer and thus realizing he is Azor Ahai reborn would most certainly lead to conflict with Stannis, as he "holds the title" right now, and if this happens my bet is Stannis will lose, of course. I like your theory of Mel healing him with salt and her "smokes", seems pretty solid

Probably it has been mentioned before,but since I am new here I wouldnt know,so I mention it anyway...

I was re-reading GoT (greek edition) a few days ago,and I read the part Sansa goes in court (after Ned executed) and sees janos slynt next to joffrey.That's the quote of her thoughts at that time.

Sansa stared hard at his ugly face, remembering how he had thrown down her father for Ser Ilyn to behead, wishing she could hurt him, wishing that some hero would throw him down and cut off his head.

(english edition)

In the greek edition,the word hero,is in italic (hero),

Maybe it's nothing,but it could be pointing that Jon=hero

I have always thought Jon will be released from his vows by his first "Death".

What you need to remember is, he's already the king in north, Rob made him so before the RW skipping bran, rickon and all other of Ned's children. Stannis technically has no authority an it's only the intervention of the iron bank and the northmen that give him any hope.

Once Robs decree is made public the north will flock to Jon who MAY support stannis...

The hot springs of winterfell are a cool idea anyway and even if there is no dragon, sword or otherwise hiding down there...

I am concerned as you say about Bran never leaving the cave, only because I feel he and arya although amazing charactors will w top young to have any large affect on the next years events which will be full of fire and blood.

Probably it has been mentioned before,but since I am new here I wouldnt know,so I mention it anyway...

I was re-reading GoT (greek edition) a few days ago,and I read the part Sansa goes in court (after Ned executed) and sees janos slynt next to joffrey.That's the quote of her thoughts at that time.

In the greek edition,the word hero,is in italic (hero),

Maybe it's nothing,but it could be pointing that Jon=hero

Good catch! I remember her saying that. While its not proof since jon is already a hero. It could be more foreshadowing.

I have always thought Jon will be released from his vows by his first "Death".

What you need to remember is, he's already the king in north, Rob made him so before the RW skipping bran, rickon and all other of Ned's children. Stannis technically has no authority an it's only the intervention of the iron bank and the northmen that give him any hope.

Once Robs decree is made public the north will flock to Jon who MAY support stannis...

The hot springs of winterfell are a cool idea anyway and even if there is no dragon, sword or otherwise hiding down there...

I am concerned as you say about Bran never leaving the cave, only because I feel he and arya although amazing charactors will w top young to have any large affect on the next years events which will be full of fire and blood.

We do not even know the contents of Robb's will, and even if he did name Jon his heir, I believe it will be too late when it finally comes out. Rickon will already be around, "crowned" Lord of Winterfell, and Jon will just refuse it, as he refused when Stannis offered him. I can see Jon becoming a regent or some kind of advisor to his little half-brother (if Jon is his brother after all), but Jon's purpose is not tied to any throne in Westeros; his function as the new Azor Ahai/Last Hero is much bigger than that.

I believe Bran will never leave the cave. He is a crippled, and obviously can't do it alone, and no one knows where he is. Needless to say, it is completely impossible for him to leave right now, as he is deep inside Other territory. Bran will probably become a greenseer like Bloodraven, and the last POV of the last book will probably be his. I can think of a creepier destiny for him, however. What if the Children attracted and imprisoned Brynden Rivers, using him for their own objectives, and now they have done the same to Bran?

Yeah, Dany fits the prophecy the best, but Martin is not someone who normally goes for the obvious choice. Jon finding Lightbringer and thus realizing he is Azor Ahai reborn would most certainly lead to conflict with Stannis, as he "holds the title" right now, and if this happens my bet is Stannis will lose, of course. I like your theory of Mel healing him with salt and her "smokes", seems pretty solid

gendry is true AA.

• 2 weeks later...

Just to add. I think Last hero/Azor Ahai/PTWP are three names for one person, three interpretations of the same prophecy. And I think he might have had Ice/Fire genes - as in Valyrian - First men, just like Bloodraven and Jon Snow, and that's why the two different cultures claim his heritage - they are both right.

Children of the Forest, allied with the First Men defeated the others. Brandon the Builder who you suggest to be the real Azor Ahai was perhaps even the founder of House Stark; the Stark words point to this direction, as if the hero would remind that the war against the Others is not over. To return to Children of the Forest.. surely they will ally to fight against the Others once more. Perhaps they even have the knowledge of the whereabouts of Lightbringer.. If so, I don't see a reason why Bran could not contact Jon via dream like the Three-Eyed Crow did.. or even via weirwoods. It's said that you can not change the past, but what holds you from contacting others in the presence? Just as Bran did with Theon.

u should post the Essos version of the tale supplied by Salladhor Saan in ASoS. I'm too lazy to do it right now (about to leave wk) but it suggests that Azor Ahai was a fire priest, who toiled away in the depths of the fire temple to create the blade. Remember AA reborn is an Essosi legend and may or may not correlate to the Westerosi figures: The Last Hero; or the Prince that was Promised.

In fact when Mel says that stannis is AA to maester Aemon, he says "but where is the prince that was promised?" IIRC.

Archived