Westeros Battle Tournament

There's been some fantastic threads on these boards about battle tactics, troop types/deployment, the merits of various generals, and the strengths/weaknesses of the different kingdoms and their armies. So I though I'd devise a game based on that and I'm looking for 8 players and 2 judges for a tournament.

Each player will represent one of the seven kingdoms (plus the Iron Throne) and will get the chance to build an army and choose their general. The players will be drawn against each other in a knockout tournament, comprising quarter finals, semi finals and a final. They will then be assigned a battle ground, get to deploy their army and finally get a peek at the opposing army before devising a battle strategy. Three judges will look at the armies, their generals, the deployment and the battle plan and vote for the winner, with the victor passing through to the next round.

The 8 kingdoms/regions are The North, The Riverlands, The Westerlands, The Vale, The Iron Throne, The Stormlands, Dorne, and The Reach. Each kingdom will have different characteristics, strengths and weaknesses, based as much as possible on the ASOIAF books, although some changes may be made to 'even things up'. Each army will have different troop types available to it, again with different strengths and weaknesses and different numbers. Each player can select 10 troop units to form their army in any way they see fit. Each kingdom will also have a 'special unit' only available to that Kingdom which they can use or not use. In general there will be normal infantry units, pikemen/spearmen infantry, archers, and cavalry/knights, plus the unique sepcial unit. There is only one of the special unit but apart from that, any army can be made from any combination of units.

Each player will get to select a general and his unit of chosen men as well. Each kingdom will have two generals available (all characters from the books) who will have different characteristics. There will be a 'cautious' general and an 'agressive' general for each kingdom. This can dramatically alter the way the battle goes. Catious generals will be more likely to successfully defend and counter forseen and prepared for attacks but will be less likely to succeed with agressive attacks, especially of the enemy is prepared for them. An aggressive general is the opposite. His attacks will be more likely to succeed, especially if the enemry doesn't suspect of prepare for them but if he's unprepapred for an enemy attack, his chances of defending it are lower.

The battle strategy is the key to success. It doesn't need to be an essay, it just needs to give an overview of how your army will fight the battle. What units of yours will go on the attack, what units will be used in a defensive capacity, which units of the enemies will you target. How do you expect the enemy to attack you and how will you defend against this and counter attack.

That's the gist of it but obviously I'll post a lot more details if people are interested. It'll take a little commitment but I'd space it out so you don't have to be at your computer 24/7 and you get enough time to think about tactics.

If people are interested in playing can you stick your name on this thread. Or if you want to be a judge can you do likewise. With judges, I might just take a look through some of your posts and pick who I think would be best. With players, if you want to play, can you say so and post a number between 0 and 1,000. The first 8 players to 'sign up' will get a kingdom and the closest to a random number generated will have their choice of kingdom.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi guys, sorry for the delay. Took a while to get numbers.

We have 8 players (hopefully you're all still interested) and three judges (we can work with 4, should even be better with 4). I'll draw the random number tonight and we'll get an order for pick of Kingdoms. I'll PM everyone involved and make sure everyone has enough time to respond. If people miss their picks, they can go to the back of the que.

If we've lost some players along the way, I'll work something out.

Great, a quick pick to get things rolling. I've noticed that House Mauldania is the only poster who hasn't been online in the past couple of days (last online 10th of April), so he might take a while to make his pick or might miss it altogether. The time limit is 3 days so if he hasn't made his pick by Friday, 16:30 (GMT), then Winterz gets next pick and House Mauldania moves to the end of the que.

Also, don't worry about being near the end of the draft, the idea is to make each Kingdom distinctive yet equal in strength. So even if you think the Westerlnads would trash the Riverlands in a 'real' war, a player won't have an inherent advantage by being the Westerlands. Each kingdom will have it's own strengths and weaknesses.

1. Valyrian Spoon - The Reach

2. House Mauldania - has until Friday 16:30 (GMT)

3. Winterz

4. EisenZelle

5. TheCrannogDweller

6. Corvo Attano

7. Alex Baratheon

8. Stannis Eats No Peaches

p.s. If players want to send me a list of preferences at any time then I can make their pick for them based on which kingdoms have already been chosen. That'll make sure you don't miss your pick if you can't get online and should get things moving quicker.

Archived