The Seven Targaryen crowns

TheCrannogDweller

For the length of the Targaryen monarchy, the Dragon kings wore 7 different crowns:

1. The crown of Aegon the Conqueror - "a simple circlet of Valyrian steel, set with big square-cut rubies." Also worn by Maegor(the Cruel), Aegon II (of dancing fame) and Daeron I (The Young Dragon);

2. The crown of Aenys - "his crown was of gold, elaborate and much larger than his father's". Worn only by him;

3. The crown of Jaeherys I the Conciliator - "a simple gold band with seven different colored stones inset." Also worn by his grandson and successor Viserys I and his designated heir - princess Rhaenyra (of dancing fame);

4. The crown of Aegon III Dragonsbane - "a slender gold band." Also worn by his brother Viserys II and Aegon V (Egg);

5. The crown of Baelor I the Blessed - "made of flowers and vines". Worn only by him;

6. The crown of Aegon IV the Unworthy - "huge and heavy, red gold, each of its points a dragon head with gemstone eyes." Also worn by Daeron II (the Good), Aerys I (the bookish successor of Daeron II and rumored puppet of Bloodraven) and Aerys II (the Mad King);

7. The crown of Maekar - "black iron and gold, with sharp points." Also worn by Jaeherys II (the Mad King's father).

I think that the number 7 is fairly significant in ASOIAF, so I was wondering - could it be also important in the case of the crowns? Or is it just a coincidence?

Sorry for being silly.

Is it known where these crowns are now?

Nah, don't worry. :D From the moment I started writing the OP, I knew that someone would make that joke. So, thanks for getting it out of the way, I suppose. :D

No, their location is not known. I would imagine that at least some of them should be somewhere in a vault in the Red Keep. Others were most likely lost - most notably Baelor's crown, which was basically a laurel, and Aegon III's - which was probably destroyed when Egg died at Summerhall.

Probably the number 7 is more than a simple coincidence... but I can't think of any more specific message then "Look! 7 again!". I tried matching the kings who wore the 7 crowns with the 7 gods, but the amount of square pegs that have to be forced through round holes is just ugly.

It might be a proof of the opposite - that the crowns as symbols of power were so unimportant to the Targaryens that more than a third of them made their own. And if the crowns were meaningless, what of the swords?

I don't think we can draw much significance from the number seven itself - other than, as mentioned, just the continuation of the theme of seven running through Westerosi history and society. But there might be significance to the crowns themselves, and we can draw inferences about the character of the kings and the image they wanted to portray.

Aegon's a warrior, so he doesn't have time for nonsense and complicated crowns. The Valyrian steel in the crown also acts as a cue for his heritage. Aenys, though, is a peacetime king, who wants to present a more affable persona and probably appreciates the good things in life a bit more, so he has a new crown made that's more "fitting" to his station. Maegor's another hard-bitten warrior, so he goes back to Aegon's crown as the crown of a warrior.

Jahaerys wants to resile from the aggressive, uncompromising image of his predecessor, but equally he doesn't want to come across as a new Aenys, given how weak Aenys was, so he has a new crown made.This remains the standard crown for a while. Aegon II uses Aegon I's crown as a call-back to the original Valyrian line to reinforce his own shaky position.

After the Dance, Aegon III makes a new crown to symbolise the unity of the peoples. Essentially, what he wants is the simplicity of Aegon I's crown, but without the warlike associations which recall Maegor and Aegon II. When Viserys II takes the throne he also uses Aegon's crown for the same reason. Baelor's nuts, and his crown reflects that, while Daeron's a boy warrior who probably idolises Aegon I so uses his crown again.

Aegon IV doesn't like the simplicity of the previous crowns and thinks he should have a larger and heavier one to reflect his true status, so has a new one made. Daeron II might continue wearing that to emphasise his connection to Aegon and therefore his legitimate succession. Meanwhile the Blackfyres might make off with one of the older crowns - possibly that of Aegon I? Aerys I wears the same crown as his father to continue the association (after all, the Blackfyres are still kicking about), but Maekar's a no-nonsense type who doesn't want a massive crown weighing him down. Maegor's crown is more functional and martial - perhaps he'd have preferred to use Aegon I's crown, but it's gone missing?

Egg might want his reign to represent a bit of a break with the troubled times following the Blackfyres, so uses Aegon III's crown for its symbolism of national unity. We probably don't know enough about Jahaerys to tell what his character was like, but Aerys is another entitled king, who goes back to Aegon IV's crown as the most magnificent.

Essentially, I think there are various "themes" of crown running through the seven:

War and strength: Aegon I, Maekar I

Peace and unity: Jahaerys I, Aegon III

Prosperity and complacency: Aenys I, Aegon IV

with Baelor's crown being off on its own as a one-off (and probably "refreshed" regularly throughout his reign).

The three earlier crowns seem to fall out of circulation after the reign of Daeron I. It's possible that Aegon I's crown was stolen by the Blackfyres (fitting Daemon's warrior image, especially since he supposedly looked like Aegon I), and Jahaerys I's crown was destroyed and consumed along with Rhaenyra, which would explain why neither of these crowns are seen again. With Aenys's crown, it might have been somehow lost over the years, since it was a long time before another king wanted such a crown (Aegon IV being the next one) or maybe Aenys is just remembered as such a weak king that nobody wants to be associated with him.

Of course, an individual king might select a crown that doesn't in itself reflect his character (like Daeron II) but to reinforce an association with their predecessor or a previous ruler.

I think it's an element worth of analysis!

Can someone recall the exact words used to describe Daenerys' crown?

Probably we can trace some elements contrasting/in common.

While it diverges from the purpose of the thread, maybe we should add the description of any other crown as well, probably there's something around... I'd do it myself but my books aren't of the english version :(

The three earlier crowns seem to fall out of circulation after the reign of Daeron I. It's possible that Aegon I's crown was stolen by the Blackfyres (fitting Daemon's warrior image, especially since he supposedly looked like Aegon I), and Jahaerys I's crown was destroyed and consumed along with Rhaenyra, which would explain why neither of these crowns are seen again. With Aenys's crown, it might have been somehow lost over the years, since it was a long time before another king wanted such a crown (Aegon IV being the next one) or maybe Aenys is just remembered as such a weak king that nobody wants to be associated with him.

Thanks for the great analysis. :)

By the way, I have different ideas about where two of the crowns might've ended up:

1. Aegon I's crown - last worn by Daeron I, who died in Dorne. Maybe the crown was lost there? Or maybe it is somewhere in the Martells' vault? I don't think Daemon had it - if he did, he would've worn it openly, to match the sword;

2. Jaeherys' crown - yes, Rhaenyra was the last one to wear it and Aegon II did feed her to his dragon - but why waste a good crown with it? Maybe he just stuck it in the Red Keep's vault.

There are the Baratheon crowns - at least three of them - but I'm not sure what they look like, to be honest. I know Renly's has stag antlers on it, but that's about it, and presumably that's because Robert wore stag antlers during the rebellion* and Renly's trying to look as much like Bob as possible.

Then there are the crowns of the King in the North, and the Greyjoys.

Daenerys's crown is worth looking at, and I'd like to know which crown the Blackfyres had - whether it was indeed a pilfered Targaryen crown to match the sword, or whether they had a one one made.

*Wow, it took me a long time to pick up on the stag-horns/cuckold thing there. With Cersei it's obvious, but assuming that a marriage precontract is basically equivalent to a marriage (which it was in England, it might be in Westeros) - then Bob's already been cuckolded by Rhaegar at the time of the rebellion.

By the way, I have different ideas about where two of the crowns might've ended up:

1. Aegon I's crown - last worn by Daeron I, who died in Dorne. Maybe the crown was lost there? Or maybe it is somewhere in the Martells' vault? I don't think Daemon had it - if he did, he would've worn it openly, to match the sword;

2. Jaeherys' crown - yes, Rhaenyra was the last one to wear it and Aegon II did feed her to his dragon - but why waste a good crown with it? Maybe he just stuck it in the Red Keep's vault.

Also eminently possible, maybe even more likely. They might have just got lost in the vault or decayed sufficiently with time that they're no longer presentable.

People in the world of ASoIaF seem rather careless when it comes to gold and symbolic gestures, though - why did Drogo waste a perfectly good belt on Viserys? ;)

The thread made my mind go wild, I'll post some random thoughts just because^^

I think it's very interesting.

-Mance is a king by name and fact, but he never wore a crown.

-Robb/Balon/Renly/Stannis made their own crown, but actually are not kings: they are either dead or not on the Throne.

-All the Targaryen crowns were worn by actual kings, with the notable exception of Viserys, who sold it!

(and afaik we have no idea about what was Viserys' crown like... was it the seventh? Surely not the sixth one, that was with Aerys II when he died most likely)

-Daenerys' crown... is a gift! She didn't make it or ordered someone to create it. I don't know if it's something telling, but I like it.

-Obviously the very first crown is made of Valyrian steel... most likely it comes from Valyria, since no one can create Valyrian steel anymore.

Probably it's an ancient crown, created before the Disaster.

-All the Targaryen crowns were worn by actual kings, with the notable exception of Viserys, who sold it!

(and afaik we have no idea about what was Viserys' crown like... was it the seventh? Surely not the sixth one, that was with Aerys II when he died most likely)

That was not his crown, it was his mother's.

Seven Crowns for Seven Gods

The Father-The Crown of Aegon the Unworthy. This is meant to show that justice is both good (Daeron) and insane (Aerys)

The Mother-The crown of the most merciful and pro-female Targaryen Kings Jaeherys' Crown.

The Warrior-Maekar, the warrior prince, has a crown with sharp points for a reason

The Maiden-The Crown of the most innocent King, Blessed Baelor

The Smith-The Crown of the Kings who built the realm, the Conquerer, his son, and the young dragon.

The Crone-The Crone's crown is the Crown of the wise, bookish Kings, Aegon III and Egg's crown.

The Stranger-The crown of Aenys. The God (and Targaryen) people never talk about.

• 1 month later...

Seven Crowns for Seven Gods

The Father-The Crown of Aegon the Unworthy. This is meant to show that justice is both good (Daeron) and insane (Aerys)

The Mother-The crown of the most merciful and pro-female Targaryen Kings Jaeherys' Crown.

The Warrior-Maekar, the warrior prince, has a crown with sharp points for a reason

The Maiden-The Crown of the most innocent King, Blessed Baelor

The Smith-The Crown of the Kings who built the realm, the Conquerer, his son, and the young dragon.

The Crone-The Crone's crown is the Crown of the wise, bookish Kings, Aegon III and Egg's crown.

The Stranger-The crown of Aenys. The God (and Targaryen) people never talk about.

I like this. Good stuff.

-Robb/Balon/Renly/Stannis made their own crown, but actually are not kings: they are either dead or not on the Throne

Robb and Balon were both Kings while they were alive, neither of them ever claimed the IT so it's hardly fair to say they weren't kings because they weren't sitting on it

The Wiki says Viserys Targaryen sold his mother Rhaella's crown.

No reference is given.

Where is that crown and what did it look like?

I don't think it's ever described but I do remember Dany thinking that they sold her first crown and therefore she was unwilling to sell her second when she was pawning all of her gifts in Qarth

For the length of the Targaryen monarchy, the Dragon kings wore 7 different crowns:

1. The crown of Aegon the Conqueror - "a simple circlet of Valyrian steel, set with big square-cut rubies." Also worn by Maegor(the Cruel), Aegon II (of dancing fame) and Daeron I (The Young Dragon);

2. The crown of Aenys - "his crown was of gold, elaborate and much larger than his father's". Worn only by him;

3. The crown of Jaeherys I the Conciliator - "a simple gold band with seven different colored stones inset." Also worn by his grandson and successor Viserys I and his designated heir - princess Rhaenyra (of dancing fame);

4. The crown of Aegon III Dragonsbane - "a slender gold band." Also worn by his brother Viserys II and Aegon V (Egg);

5. The crown of Baelor I the Blessed - "made of flowers and vines". Worn only by him;

6. The crown of Aegon IV the Unworthy - "huge and heavy, red gold, each of its points a dragon head with gemstone eyes." Also worn by Daeron II (the Good), Aerys I (the bookish successor of Daeron II and rumored puppet of Bloodraven) and Aerys II (the Mad King);

7. The crown of Maekar - "black iron and gold, with sharp points." Also worn by Jaeherys II (the Mad King's father).

I think that the number 7 is fairly significant in ASOIAF, so I was wondering - could it be also important in the case of the crowns? Or is it just a coincidence?

Maybe one crown for one kingdom

I don't think the Targaryens ever intended for there to be seven crowns, especially given that the "seventh" crown wasn't forged until at least 200 years after the first one. As far as "real" crowns go, there are only six anyway; Baelor's crown is just a garland of foliage.

As mentioned above, I don't think there's anything to the number seven itself other than as a continuation of the theme of seven that runs through the series. There might be symbolism in the individual crowns, but not necessarily as a set.

Archived