Most Emotional Moments.

jongtu

The red wedding and Quentyn's death had be hooked, shocked and had me put the book down after I'd read 'em. Although with RW I'd read Arya's chapter whilst trying not to get angry at GRRM

If Arya had died then and there, I was going to drop the book and the series.

Adding a few more.

I read the hedge knight last night. Daeron talking to Dunk about his dream. About if he is going to kill a dragon make sure it ain't him. As well a no one being as good a laying down in the mud as him. That made me chuckle.

Aemon losing his mind and talking to Egg. Upset.

Ned talking to Bran about bravery at the start of agot. I was really hopeful on first read.

First mention of Renly's 'Rainbow Guard' - I started laughing so hard my wife asked me what was up, when I described the visual of Renly and all his entourage in leather thongs and suggestive floats a-la Sydney's Madi Gras she started laughing too.

For the rest of the mentions of Renly's court I kept getting that visual, so I was thankful when he was killed not long afterwards.

(yes - on topic, uncontrollable hysterical laughter IS an emotional response)

One small moment which I found touching was Cat’s reunion with her father in AGoT. First we experience her reminiscences of how she used to look for him from the balcony of his room as a child and he would always ask her if she had waited for him whenever he would return home. Once she finds him on that balcony, sickly and frail, Hoster tells her “I waited for you.” That was a sweet scene, even though Hoster was kind of a jerk.

Also, Victarion's hatred of monkeys makes me much happier than it ought to.

ETA: And Davos in the Merman's court and the avatars of awesomeness who are Wyman and Wylla Manderly! The North remembers and so do I. Davos was so cool with his vengeance speech I could barely handle it, and then in the next Davos chapter we see that Wyman hungers not just for lamprey pie, but also for glorious vengeance. I was so happy when he served the pie at the Winterfell feast.

There were many moments which elicited an emotional response from me and I don't want to list them all, but Davos' finest hour cannot be omitted. Another that I didn't see mentioned was when the "ravens" and Coldhands save Sam and Gilly from the wights. That moment gave me goose bumps.

I got pretty angry when Victarion burned the 7 bed slaves that were on the Willing Maiden, all for a favorable gust of wind. Saddest moment for me was actually when Arya wargs into Nymeria and finds Cat's body. Runner ups go to Ned's beheading, Drogo's death and the rapes before it (angry/sad combo).

Totally unrelated but a funny little bit of irony later that i didnt catch until my second read throughs of ASOIAF was that line by Kraznys about men not needing nipples. Drogo's arrow wound and Arakh wound that severed his nipple plus Mirri Maz Duur's blood magic causing his death, so much for that.

"You saw what you wished to see. Your heart yearns for your father and your home, so that is what you saw."

Leaf to Bran after Bran was excited about seeing and thinking Ned was alive through the weirwood. I just read that part in a re-read and it always tugs at my heart-strings.

Archived