Littlefinger's Tapestries: What Gives?

JungWheats

We know from Feast that Cersei has sent LF some of the old tapestries that Bob had hung in the throne room. To my knowledge these were mostly related to the hunt and other outdoorsy-type things that Bob enjoyed. Too tacky for Cersei.

What is the point of having those sent to the Vale? Its just a couple throw-away lines, but its obviously dangled in front of us for a reason, but for the life of me I can't think of a single use for them, yet it really bugs me.

Any ideas?

I have two theories.

1. Friendship test. Littlefinger was arms deep in murdering Cersei's Joffrey. He turns around and asks for a favor. If Cersei goes through the trouble of sending them, she still thinks Littlefinger is a friend to the Lannisters. Considering how Cersei treats her other allies, such as Tyrion or the Tyrells, this is a pretty good test. If Cersei harbored any resentment to Littlefinger what so ever, she would have refused and told her servants to send him nightsoil or something else insulting.
  2. Information is hidden in the tapestries. The tapestries were favorites of Robert Baratheon, supposedly they recall hunt's he's been on. An alternative is they contain information on other types of "hunts," like all the women he's slept with. Or, at least, a good number of them. If this information could produce another 3 to 5 or so of Robert's bastards and present very strong evidence that Tommen and Myrcella are bastards. Which would ruin the Lannisters claim to the throne.

I definitely think option 1 is more likely. Proof hasn't mattered so far, why would it when the realm continues to collapse into chaos? Also, this would cement Stannis's claim, which is bad for Littlefinger.

I have two theories.

1. Friendship test. Littlefinger was arms deep in murdering Cersei's Joffrey. He turns around and asks for a favor. If Cersei goes through the trouble of sending them, she still thinks Littlefinger is a friend to the Lannisters. Considering how Cersei treats her other allies, such as Tyrion or the Tyrells, this is a pretty good test. If Cersei harbored any resentment to Littlefinger what so ever, she would have refused and told her servants to send him nightsoil or something else insulting.

Information is hidden in the tapestries. The tapestries were favorites of Robert Baratheon, supposedly they recall hunt's he's been on. An alternative is they contain information on other types of "hunts," like all the women he's slept with. Or, at least, a good number of them. If this information could produce another 3 to 5 or so of Robert's bastards and present very strong evidence that Tommen and Myrcella are bastards. Which would ruin the Lannisters claim to the throne.

I definitely think option 1 is more likely. Proof hasn't mattered so far, why would it when the realm continues to collapse into chaos? Also, this would cement Stannis's claim, which is bad for Littlefinger.

#1 rings true to me. That makes a lot of sense. It's a simple and not at all suspicious way to see where he stands with her.

I think its just a final insult from someone who has sucked the crown dry and has no further interest in it except to get those tapestries which were the last little thing he wanted. Tapestries are expensive, why pay for your own?

Tapestries in ASoIaF are almost exclusively described as telling some kind of history or genealogy. Robert's tapestries are described as "hunting" scenes except by Ned, who describes hunting and battle. IRL we have the Bayeaux Tapestry which tells the tale of the Norman Conquest of England. Many people think it is a large piece of propaganda, carefully designed by the Normans to validate their claim to the English throne. I suspect Robert's tapestries will turn out to be something similar-- there is some tale, some bit of history or some genealogical tidbit hidden in them. Naturally Cersei would be too stupid to realize what she is giving away (information) but LF is a master of collecting information and using it to his advantage ;)

what if its only a single specific tapestry that he wants, but hes asking for them all because asking for a specific 1 would be suspicious. perhaps Littlefinger had even been the one to give Robert the tapestry in the first place. after all what safer place for something with a secret hidden in it then the throne room?

• 3 months later...

Very possibly. Cersei is pretty easy to read that way.

Also, those tapestries might well be really old, and the hallmark of an ancient established line, which LF would covet, for the same reason nouveau riche covet genuine antiques.

:agree:

Very Littlefinger-like. Smart and subtle.

When pondering LF, I always come back to his time as master of coin. When Robert came into power, the crowns finances were said to be ample. We know Bob had no respect for money, but id imagine it would be difficult for him to squander it all on feasts and tournaments, the latter of which ought to bring money into the city as well as sending it out in prize money and logistics. Then you have LF reputation for putting the crowns money to work. I believe they even say he doubled the crowns incomes, yet they're completely broke?!? I have a feeling LF was skimming a fortune for himself and concealing it by borrowing from multiple lenders. Perhaps he has money hidden in the tapestries, or something he needs in order to access it.

I agree with Petyr, that it's a careful "friendship test" to see how Cersei is feeling about him. She's relatively easy to read in that way, and it's information LF would want to suss out in some way. If we haven't any other examples of LF testing that relationship, the tapestries are an even better candidate for it.

Plus, the tapestries are beautiful, something LF could get for free, and historic, so they add to his legitimacy /legacy.

When pondering LF, I always come back to his time as master of coin. When Robert came into power, the crowns finances were said to be ample. We know Bob had no respect for money, but id imagine it would be difficult for him to squander it all on feasts and tournaments, the latter of which ought to bring money into the city as well as sending it out in prize money and logistics. Then you have LF reputation for putting the crowns money to work. I believe they even say he doubled the crowns incomes, yet they're completely broke?!? I have a feeling LF was skimming a fortune for himself and concealing it by borrowing from multiple lenders. Perhaps he has money hidden in the tapestries, or something he needs in order to access it.

On one hand, I like the idea that Littlefinger was a medeival shell game huckster. He claims he's raising money by "putting it to work," while what he really did was waste it on stupid investments. To hide these loses (and to get himself rich), he borrowed the money and skimmed heavily off the of the top.

On the other hand, Martin isn't an economist, to put it politely. Some of his monetary sums have proven to be very suspect when compared. Plus, he started writing in the '90s, when money was just flowing out of the ground and only nerds and the FBI knew who Charles Ponzi was. I think Martin is just hand waving away what bankrupting a treasury would actually entail.

On one hand, I like the idea that Littlefinger was a medeival shell game huckster. He claims he's raising money by "putting it to work," while what he really did was waste it on stupid investments. To hide these loses (and to get himself rich), he borrowed the money and skimmed heavily off the of the top.

On the other hand, Martin isn't an economist, to put it politely. Some of his monetary sums have proven to be very suspect when compared. Plus, he started writing in the '90s, when money was just flowing out of the ground and only nerds and the FBI knew who Charles Ponzi was. I think Martin is just hand waving away what bankrupting a treasury would actually entail.

That's a good point, I often feel the same way when he throws out numbers of troops as well. For instance, the Lannisters seem to have an inexhaustible supply of able bodied young men. Did he really think that out or did he just pull numbers out of his ass because it serviced the story he was trying to tell?

However, both things can be true. GRRM can be bad at math, and LF was skimming. It may have nothing to do with the tapestries either, as the friendship test idea is a perfectly reasonable explanation for that, but I still say that LF was bankrupting the crown on purpose for years as part of his long-term plan. After all, he needs every dragon he can get his hands on if he expects to carry out his plan to put Sansa on the throne. Think about all the money he's had to shell out already on bribes and multiply that a thousand times over or more; then he'd need some sort of sell-sails in order to take KL ala Stannis and SS. That's on top of the myriad of other expenses involved in waging any war. Pimping pays well, but not THAT well, and from what we know about the Vale, I dont suspect the Arryns treasury to be able to cover all that either.

However, both things can be true. GRRM can be bad at math, and LF was skimming. It may have nothing to do with the tapestries either, as the friendship test idea is a perfectly reasonable explanation for that, but I still say that LF was bankrupting the crown on purpose for years as part of his long-term plan. After all, he needs every dragon he can get his hands on if he expects to carry out his plan to put Sansa on the throne. Think about all the money he's had to shell out already on bribes and multiply that a thousand times over or more; then he'd need some sort of sell-sails in order to take KL ala Stannis and SS. That's on top of the myriad of other expenses involved in waging any war. Pimping pays well, but not THAT well, and from what we know about the Vale, I dont suspect the Arryns treasury to be able to cover all that either.

Not to mention the cost of "Alayne's" dowry which has to be big enough, to make a bastard a plausible bride for the Heir to the Vale. Lady Waynwood's debts must have been extensive indeed...

Archived